Tiger, out of the woods?

glutes
This topic is 1148 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

By Mike Lopresti:

"There is less sympathy the day they seek to trade their talent for endorsement riches. Once they try to sell us something, once they accept the role of representing something, thy're asking us to trust them. They are seeking to be, for want of a better term, role models"

Role models don't get free passes once 9-1-1 calls are made...

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bimbette in question says 2 drug addled hookers made it all up in return for a fat check from the Enquirer. Could it get any better?

http://www.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/articles/29791-tiger-woods-alleged-mistress-drug-abusing-hookers-made-up-affair-story/1259675635_uchitel-rachel-350290.jpg

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebritynews/news/tiger-woods-alleged-mistress-drug-abusing-hookers-made-up-affair-story-1970241

The bimbette in question says 2 drug addled hookers made it all up in return for a fat check from the Enquirer. Could it get any better?

http://www.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/articles/29791-tiger-woods-alleged-mistress-drug-abusing-hookers-made-up-affair-story/1259675635_uchitel-rachel-350290.jpg

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebritynews/news/tiger-woods-alleged-mistress-drug-abusing-hookers-made-up-affair-story-1970241

And who will track down those drug-addled hookers first, TMZ or Ben-Jamin's blog??

What is all the hooha in this thread about Tiger telling "lies"? Does someone here know that what he has said happened is not true? Or are you just jumping to conclusions? As for the role model thing, I am not aware that he has ever claimed to be anything other than a great golfer; if people want to claim him as their model for something more (model husband, loving parent, servant of God, etc.), that's their problem.

And who will track down those drug-addled hookers first, TMZ or Ben-Jamin's blog??

My money's on TMZ although a few bucks to a member of the Enquirer's staff would probably get you names and phone numbers.

I'm of two minds on this. Part of me is happily gawking away :o and part of me is rooting for TW to successfully glare down the media vultures. :cool: Neither part thinks TW owes me squat by way of explanation.

Charlie: So far as I can remember, Tiger has stated only two things: 1) The Enquirer is printing garbage. 2) The rest is none of our business. Neither statement strikes me as an obvious lie.

Edited by MsGuy

So, why do you think most endorsement contracts include a morals clause?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z310/MerionMom/Miscellany/hand-raisingsmilies.gif

Me! Me!

Because the advertisers know that many people do look up to product spokesmen as role models. It helps them sell more product at a higher price. In fact, it seems likely that advertisers encourage this public behavior, as it gives them a competitive edge and allows them to sell more and charge more for a product that's basically just like everyone else's.

It's hard to fault them for trying to encourage and take advantage of this time-tested human foible. So I won't.

But I will fault myself if I buy into it. Or if I tell a child that Wheaties is better just because Tiger Woods eats it. Or if I join a gym just because Taylor Lautner works out ther . . . OK, bad example. :o

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab232/Memory105221/taylor-lautner-shirtless.jpg

Guest TBinCHI
Sorry, but the experts don't agree with you.To quote an expert, Phil Hall, president of London-based firm PHA, which handles communications and crisis management for sports figures and others, "If you take money for commercial deals which basically say "look, I'm a good guy, and I'm a decent clean-living citizen...the public buy into that..you forfeit the right to your private life because the public is buying a product, buying an image". He went on to say that Woods has a limited time to explain events, or risk staining both his own brand and those of his sponsors. He added "people accept that sometimes human beings err, but when they fan the flames by lying...people aren't so forgiving. It's never the mistake that brings the politician down, it's the cover-up afterwards".

Sorry, but I don't buy this at all. Frankly, this is part and parcel of the mentality that we have to resist. Just because some marketing or crisis management "expert" says that a great golfer is a role model because he endorses golf balls doesn't make that golfer a role model. The crisis management "expert" has a vested interest in making people believe that such athletes are role models so they can convince the athlete who fucked up that they need crisis management services.

We are the only ones who should be determining who our role models are and we must stop assuming that because someone is a good athlete and endorses some product that they are somehow someone whose life we should emulate. That is total crap because WE DON'T KNOW how they live their lives and we do not have a right to know. We only know that they are great athletes and that they are selling products. And I am sick of the media justifying sensationalizing a lurid story about an athlete on the claim that the public has a "right to know" because they are role models.

Rant over, we can all continue watching tv now.

The issue is not that Tiger Woods is a role model, rather that by selling his face, his name and his endorsement, he has basically sold himself to the public's scrutiny. Having done so, he should not contend that something such as this accident is not the business of the public. Whether it is or not, when he signed on the dotted line for all those bucks, he also signed for all these prying eyes. No one was digging up his mistresses until he ran over the fire hydrant.

Guest zipperzone
Charlie: So far as I can remember, Tiger has stated only two things: 1) The Enquirer is printing garbage. 2) The rest is none of our business. Neither statement strikes me as an obvious lie.

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't another celeb successfully sue the National Enquirer for printing lies? I think it was Carol Burnett but I could have the wrong celeb.

There was another famous libel case where the entertainer, Liberace, sued a British tabloid for saying he was gay. He won a 6 figure damage claim which in those days was the equivalent of well over half a million dollars today.

When Liberace died of AIDs, the magazine sued his estate and, if I am not wrong in my recollection, they won back their money because Liberace had commited perjury.

In Tiger's situation, whether or not these ladies had affairs with him while he was married, the sordidness of the situation is quickly tarnishing his billion dollar brand. If things continue to cascade, watch out for the cancellation of endorsement contracts, particularly by companies that identify with a squeaky clean image. It might already be too late to stop this from happening.

IMO, Tiger has only himself to blame. In the media world, which he has participated in to his personal enrichment, image is EVERYTHING! American corporations in particular, are susceptible to pressure from the American public which is not very tolerant to extramarital affairs. In France, it wouldn't be the same. They expect the rich and powerful to have mistresses.

Tiger's two statements:

http://www.companyofmen.org/image/2009/11/29/3qYjukLI.jpg AP

As you all know, I had a single-car accident earlier this week, and sustained some injuries. I have some cuts, bruising and right now I'm pretty sore.

This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again.

This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way. Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible.

The only person responsible for the accident is me. My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false. This incident has been stressful and very difficult for Elin, our family and me. I appreciate all the concern and well wishes that we have received. But, I would also ask for some understanding that my family and I deserve some privacy no matter how intrusive some people can be.

http://web.tigerwoods.com/news/article/200911297726222/news/

& more fully here:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2009/12/02/tiger-woods-statement-text/

Edited by MsGuy

Godspeed Tiger!

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.

Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means. For the last week, my family and I have been hounded to expose intimate details of our personal lives. The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.

But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.

Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone. I have given this a lot of reflection and thought and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology."

We all make transgressions Tiger, well put. Let let us all move on, and hope that Swingin' Swede did not cause any permanent head trauma. A damaged brain is a damaged mind.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/12/02/sports/s072747S38.DTL#ixzz0YZ5eJwPL

Comparing mea culpas

Serial plagiarist....

I plan on making some changes and I promise to never make the same mistakes again.

Once a liar, always a liar. This wasn’t an isolated incident. I can assure everyone that our little Benjamin (and no, that’s not a sly reference to his less than impressive penis) is a stranger to the truth in all areas of his life. His plagiarism is merely a symptom of a much larger pathology.

I am human and far from perfect.

(cue the violins)[

This was, hopefully, one of the last large mistakes I hope to endure in my adult life.

Is there another life you’re going to be leading or do you plan on being a child again? Also, you don’t “endure” mistakes – you COMMIT them and then endure the consequences. Once again, little Benjie is playing the victim card – acting as though this were something beyond his control.

I take full responsibility for my actions

How fucking big of you. Unless someone was holding a gun to your head it’s impossible to lay the blame at anyone else’s feet.

and only ask that you give me another chance.

Fooled once, shame on you…….

I'm not a monster

Poor thing, he can't control himself - he’s quoting The Elephant Man.

No one said you were a monster Benjie. What you are, is a liar.

and I never wanted to be a thief.

No, you wanted to grow up and be a…….oops, let’s not go there.

I have morals and beliefs which support and guide my life.

While you were serially lying to your readers.

My mindset is clear

Whatever the fuck that means.

and I enjoy being grounded, even if my actions in this instance suggested otherwise.

It’s not an “instance” Benjamin – it’s instanceS.

I am sincerely sorry and I ask for your forgiveness.

Tell it to the hand.

(Comments by FFF, former Hoovillite)

Serial philander...

"For all of those who have supported me over the years," Woods statement said, "I offer my profound apology."

Why apologize to anyone but his wife? In the interest of damage control, no doubt backed by his sponsors, he sold out Tiger Woods the human being for the benefit of Tiger Woods the commodity. He wanted to play the game both ways - confess so that he seemed like a contrite, responsible family man, yet also pretend that he lives by a code of strict discretion.

"Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone," he said. "I have given this a lot of reflection and thought, and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult."

If that were true, we wouldn't be able to read those words on Tigerwoods.com.

The statement reflected an impatience and lack of discipline that recall Phil Mickelson's collapse at Winged Foot. Woods slapped the name "Privacy" on his yacht, but didn't hold fast to the principle. He abandoned it to deliver a pacifying mea culpa and re-craft his image.

"I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect," his statement said. Well, so are most people. They can be shamelessly curious and gossipy. Is that worse than marital infidelity? Woods seemed to think so, even as he bowed to their curiosity.

"I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means," he wrote.

He must have been very distracted when Kenneth Starr, Monica Lewinsky and her blue dress became a part of presidential history.

(Comments by Gwen Knapp, sfgate.com)

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/02/SP981AU1NS.DTL#ixzz0YbTKTENy

Right!

It's amazing that this story (the crash, his marriage and the bimbos coming out of the woodwork) is headline news in the mainstream media.

Agreed! I would like to think that there are far more important things going on in the country and around the world that would make better headlines.

What I would like to see is what his wife did to him with the golf club. :)

Edited by Romann