Contacting Masseurs for Non-Massage related topics

Sometimes a massage therapist will mention something about their lives during our session, and I'll then later see some article or something that I think may be useful information for them.  Maybe they're into regenerative gardening or dungeons and dragons or have a desire to visit a certain city.  Then I'll see something related to that and I'll want to share that information with them. Just a, "You mentioned you're into this, and here's this information" kind of message.  Do you think that crosses a line, in general?  I know it probably varies a bit from person to person, but as a general rule, yes or no on sharing something like that? 

What about social media?  Just about everyone is on some platform.  Do you follow your massage therapist?  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Casual said:

Sometimes a massage therapist will mention something about their lives during our session, and I'll then later see some article or something that I think may be useful information for them.  Maybe they're into regenerative gardening or dungeons and dragons or have a desire to visit a certain city.  Then I'll see something related to that and I'll want to share that information with them. Just a, "You mentioned you're into this, and here's this information" kind of message.  Do you think that crosses a line, in general?  I know it probably varies a bit from person to person, but as a general rule, yes or no on sharing something like that? 

What about social media?  Just about everyone is on some platform.  Do you follow your massage therapist?  

Just guard yourself from having any feelings towards said masseur (been there, done that - never again). I have a few of the masseurs in my social media - I asked and told them directy I’ll add them and they said yes.  Most are just that - an acquaintance on social media. 

Edited by TennisPro35

I routinely have conversations with providers.  Twice it's gone too far.  The first one now has a serious drug problem and I attempted to help, not a good idea.  The second one I saw for several years.  I went from a client, to a "boyfriend", to being "like family" - arg.  Now feelings are being hurt, as I really don't want to go on vacation with "family".

So yeah, I'm friendly, but not friends.

3 hours ago, DrownedBoy said:

Ask them in person.

If they forgot what you asked the next time you meet, then don't even try to get closer. That's him staying away.

Great advice. I have been thinking about the same thing. There's a mutual interest in traveling with me and one of my masseurs. I've been wanting to reach out to him to share information about one destination that we both are interested in, of course, I'm not interested in traveling with him. I think what you posted is a good idea. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Regardless of who I reach out to with a friendly piece of information, I will do it few times. Then, I wait for them to reach out to me in a similar spontaneous manner. I always assume that if I never get a similar reach out, they have no interest in any relationship beyond the one we already have.

Edited by APPLE1

This topic took a direction I didn't think it was headed. I presumed you were meaning asking a masseur when you were visiting the area he is a provider in where the best restaurants and nightclubs were at so you could plan in advance - after cementing a meet-up with him. 

I'm totally with DrownedBoy on this one. Leave the guy alone, as he is not your friend. Ask the things you want to share at a future appointment.

On 5/13/2024 at 7:24 PM, Casual said:

Sometimes…(someone) will mention something about their lives…and I'll then later see some article or something that I think may be useful information for them.…Then I'll see something related to that and I'll want to share that information with them.

I do this all the time. I send newspaper cuttings or photos of interesting articles and exhibitions etc.…but ONLY TO FRIENDS.