Restaurants NYC

Gary

• MikeBiDude changed the title to Restaurants NYC
3 hours ago, Gary said:

Vegas_millennial, thx for responding.

You don't thank someone for those suggestions.  That's a mob hit.

Let me make some actual, realistic suggestions...

The Whitby at The Whitby Hotel is a solid spot for lunch.  Great bar.  Whimsical decor.

Nobu Fifty Seven is right there if you're a fan.

If you want to be touristy, The Russian Tea Room isn't far.

Palm Court at The Plaza Hotel is a classic.

Il Corso, always reliable.

A martini and an appetizer at the King Cole in the St Regis.

Dim Sum Palace is between 5/6th on W 56th.  Solid Asian.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

If you want UES, then JoJo is always good.  The Polo Bar nearby is fabulous & usually hard to get in - a good concierge should be able to make it happen.  
If you want a more authentic old New York experience, try The Benjamin Steakhouse (the original, not Prime) and/or The Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station - only for lunch and always sit at the bar (the menu is different). 

i agree on Russian Tea Room if only for the vodka flights & high-camp factor.  The bar across the street at the Park Hyatt is well worth a visit & exquisite cocktails. 
The Trump Grill is not known among locals as somewhere to go for good food. It caters to tourists taking pictures. 

14 hours ago, Gary said:

Does anyone have restaurant recommendations near the Peninsula Hotel, 700 5th Ave, NYC.  Thx.

I like the Modern (9W 53rd), it's next to Moma or Naro at the Rockefeller Center. If you don't mind venturing to Hells Kitchen, there is Kochi (46th and 10th) or Mari (46th and 9th). 

The Plaza also has an incredible/upscale food court in the basement (though I haven’t been since 2019 or so, so that could have changed).

If you walk down to 46th street, turn west and you’ll find the block Little Brazil between 5th and 6th.  Keep walking west, pass through Times Square, and you’ll get to Restaurant Row between 8th and 9th.  Lots of great places- I’ve never had a bad meal in any restaurant on those blocks.

15 hours ago, ShortCutie7 said:

The Plaza also has an incredible/upscale food court in the basement (though I haven’t been since 2019 or so, so that could have changed).

That's been chained-up (literally) for years now.  

The Plaza keeps saying it's in redevelopment, but methinks it's going to stay deserted for awhile longer.

8 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

That's been chained-up (literally) for years now.  

The Plaza keeps saying it's in redevelopment, but methinks it's going to stay deserted for awhile longer.

Ohhh, that explains it… I think I last tried to go in maybe fall 2020 and assumed it was closed for Covid, not for good.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:50 PM, azdr0710 said:

I know almost nothing about Manhattan eateries, but you may want to let the Gotham experts here know a little more:  price range, food type, lunch or dinner, good for entertaining business associates or not, stuffiness, etc.......thanks