'Feud: Capote vs The Swans' premieres January 31 on FX

Ali Gator

Episode3, the Black and White Ball, is barely watchable.  The jerky camera work is incredibly annoying.  They would never have been able to get a documentary out of that film.  I thought that jerky camera effect had gone out of style.  Pretty lazy cinematography...IMHO!

23 hours ago, MikeThomas said:

Episode3, the Black and White Ball, is barely watchable.  The jerky camera work is incredibly annoying.  They would never have been able to get a documentary out of that film.  I thought that jerky camera effect had gone out of style.  Pretty lazy cinematography...IMHO!

That didn't bother me too much. Usually it does, but I think for this series it worked well. 

1 hour ago, Ali Gator said:

This week's episode was rather slow, though Naomi Watts probably earned an Emmy for her stellar performance. 

This program really shows off her training from 'The Julianne Moore School for Dramatic Red Eyes and Looking Incredibly Pained.'

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

On 2/4/2024 at 6:43 PM, WilliamM said:

Calling people swines for no reason is ridiculous 

The best putdown using the epithet “swine” was when Ann Parker, accepting Luella Parsons’ invitation to enter a room first by saying “age before beauty” swept by her grandly while uttering in response “pearls before swine”.

35 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

The best putdown using the epithet “swine” was when Ann Parker, accepting Luella Parsons’ invitation to enter a room first by saying “age before beauty” swept by her grandly while uttering in response “pearls before swine”.

Dorothy Parker, I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

Like so many of these mini series, it stretches endlessly. This was definitely not worth 6 episodes, 4 would have plenty and far more effective. Other than the pleasure of seeing these actresses do some good work and some cool set and costume designs, like most of Ryan Murphy's stuff, it's paper thin. But I did enjoy 2 or 3 of the 6 episodes for sure.

I don’t have a television set but hearing about the series got me reading his stories again. I have an anthology of his works and while I had read some of the better known works like Breakfast at Tiffany’s, I had skipped over gems like The Grass Harp and The Muses Are Heard. His sketches of luminaries he knew from Hollywood and the international social set are fun too. 

On 3/3/2024 at 5:18 PM, Luv2play said:

I don’t have a television set but hearing about the series got me reading his stories again. I have an anthology of his works and while I had read some of the better known works like Breakfast at Tiffany’s, I had skipped over gems like The Grass Harp and The Muses Are Heard.

For a longer and much more serious read, try In Cold Blood.

It's as riveting as the film version. Well, at least it was for me!

4 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Same here. It was the film version that got me to read In Cold Blood.

I loved the film but the book was incredible.

5 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

I tried reading that book years ago but frankly the topic didn’t grab me. I read the beginning chapters and the last chapter. I saw a bit of the film on TV but turned it off. I read somewhere Capote was never the same after the experience of writing the book. He also was quite involved in the making of the film I understand. 

Edited by Luv2play

In his literary prime, Capote was an excellent writer. And he was a hot mess. Like many other writers who incorporate real life figures into their characters, he took a known risk of people taking offense. His sloppiness was in letting booze and pills cloud his judgement about striking too many targets, too transparently, too close to home, and it cost him everything. 

I’m loving the overall look and direction and Holland is delivering a performance beyond what was asked of other actors playing him on screen like Hoffman and Jones (or on stage, Robert Morse!) because of the length of the arc, the number of relationships, and the freedom of the medium to bring the sex of his homosexuality into it. The swans are all well cast I think - nice to see Calista again. (Someone needs to redo the Ally McBeal dancing baby gif using Truman’s head…🤣)

• 2 weeks later...

Although I tend to be interested in the same subject matter as Ryan Murphy, I am usually disappointed in his treatment of subjects. 
The Swans all seemed to be very shallow, boring, and not very bright. They must have each had some quality that helped them achieve their status, but viewers don't get to see it. 
Same with Truman. Why would anyone want to be around him? Read his writing? Yes. Hang out with him? No.