Don’t Fall For The “Be New in ‘24” Bull!!$!t

BonVivant

I don't buy into the "new you" bullshit, but I do make new year's resolutions and follow them up through the year. I don't advertise them, I don't brag about them, but I started in 1998 or so, and since then it has been a good/workable thing for me. I like structure, and having a realistic list of things to accomplish for the year has been a good thing. The key is being realistic, not buying into a "new me" thing that will never happen, and leaving who/how I am perfectly intact. I have not accomplish every siongle item in the list, but I have accomplished many things.

The "new year, new you" thing seems to come from advertising, where companies try to capitalize on people starting fresh.

One side note: I fucking hate posts of people telling other people "Stop..." Stop telling people to stop doing things.

23 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

One of the best things in life I learned is it's great to be empathetic and helpful and kind but at some point you need to be selfish and do you sometimes. I was always saying yes to everyone. It's hard to say no but you have to at times.

Boy, you said it. I learned this over the years.

I was the one who would always drop everything to help out others - whatever they needed done, I would do my best to help out and help them get through a challenge in their lives (except for money - I would never lend money, that's my boundary). 

I realized, though, that in the rare instance when I needed a helping hand with something, no one was around to help out.

My biggest learning lesson was just three years ago when my dad passed away from Covid. Of all my friends, I was one of the few to still have a surviving parent - many had lost their parents over the recent years.  When their parents died, though I could not make it to all the funerals, I did what I thought was proper - sending flowers, having a Catholic mass said for a 'month's mind' (a Catholic tradition), or sending a perpetual 'mass card' (another Catholic tradition), or simply making a date to take them out for dinner or lunch a few weeks after the funeral (when the reality sets in). They were all very grateful for what I did, and being respectful to them and their deceased. 

When my dad passed from Covid in June, 2020, and they found out, I got only text messages - 'Sorry to hear this. He was a nice man'. (There was no funeral for them to attend as everything was limited back then in the early days of Covid, but they didn't even ask about funeral plans). 

I was particularly shocked with one of my friends, who knew my dad very well as she would always join us for dinner on Friday nights when we went out for fish-n-chips (her mother passed a year earlier, and I sent flowers / did the mass card / took her to dinner to reminisce about her mom). She loved my dad. When I called to tell her on the phone, she said, 'Sorry to hear this.' Then she excused herself - had to go back to work. I didn't hear back from her for months, when she finally sent a text in September saying 'How are you doing ?'.  

I've learned the past few years. I've really learned.