Have you visited the oldest man-made structure in your state?

marylander1940

I haven't visited the oldest man-made structure in my state (of New South Wales) but having looked it up I may have to check it out. It is the fish traps in the Barwon River at the town of Brewarrina in the north-west of the state. I had no idea of the scale of the structures. They are estimated to be 40,000 years old.

NEWMATILDA.COM

We love our history in Australia. Just so long as it’s white. Chris Graham explains. Just over a week ago, shortly after I...

6 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

The Eisenhower home in a Gettysburg was constructed in A.D. 1955.  I believe there may be a few other man made structures in Pennsylvania that are a few years older. 😊

But, likely not associated with a five star general and a two term president 

21 minutes ago, WilliamM said:
6 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

The Eisenhower home in a Gettysburg was constructed in A.D. 1955.  I believe there may be a few other man made structures in Pennsylvania that are a few years older. 😊

But, likely not associated with a five star general and a two term president 

Independence Hall comes to mind.   Constructed in A.D. 1753, it is where General Washington addressed Congress (before he became a two term President).  It's still not the oldest man-made structure in Pennsylvania; but, at least it's older than all of the members of this website 😁

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

On 12/15/2023 at 9:19 PM, Vegas_Millennial said:

Although not my state (see earlier post for Nevada), I visited the oldest man-made structure in Hawaii.  Built in 1821, Ka Hale Lā‘au was built by the Christian missionaries and is located in downtown Honolulu.

IMG_2923-768x576.jpg

I'm surprised it says that considering there are older constructions by Hawaiian natives like the Menehune or Alekoko fishpond!

4 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

I'm surprised it says that considering there are older constructions by Hawaiian natives like the Menehune or Alekoko fishpond!

I think it's because a fishpond is not considered a "structure".

I was using the title of the thread which says "structure"

In Nevada, we have American Indian paintings, caves, and ditches that pre-date the A.D. 1855 Old Mormon Fort, but they aren't considered structures.

On 12/20/2023 at 11:29 AM, Vegas_Millennial said:

I think it's because a fishpond is not considered a "structure".

I was using the title of the thread which says "structure"

In Nevada, we have American Indian paintings, caves, and ditches that pre-date the A.D. 1855 Old Mormon Fort, but they aren't considered structures.

KAUAINOWNEWS.COM

Organized by Kaua‘i nonprofit Mālama Hulē’ia as the organizations five-year anniversary workday, the ambitious goal to have thousands of volunteers help...

If it has a wall, does that count as a structure to you? 

2 hours ago, marylander1940 said:
KAUAINOWNEWS.COM

Organized by Kaua‘i nonprofit Mālama Hulē’ia as the organizations five-year anniversary workday, the ambitious goal to have thousands of volunteers help...

If it has a wall, does that count as a structure to you? 

Only if they applied for a building permit 😊