Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor has died

WilliamM

On 12/2/2023 at 7:46 AM, pubic_assistance said:

She's been "gone" for a while. But her body was still alive.

One of the articles about her life stated she withdrew from public life in (I think) 2018. While very sad that she succumbed to Alzheimer's, at least she had 88 good years. 

I studied her history and a number of cases where she wrote for both the majority and the minority opinions.   She was a brilliant jurist!    I also liked her personally and her history.   While I didn't agree with many of her views,  including her support of Bush in "BUSH v. GORE",   she certainly has had my admiration and respect.

3 hours ago, ICTJOCK said:

I studied her history and a number of cases where she wrote for both the majority and the minority opinions.   She was a brilliant jurist!    I also liked her personally and her history.   While I didn't agree with many of her views,  including her support of Bush in "BUSH v. GORE",   she certainly has had my admiration and respect.

Justice  O'Connor would probably agree with your comments 

On 12/1/2023 at 2:38 PM, CuriousByNature said:

Not a good couple of weeks for elderly, prominent Americans.  Rosalynn Carter gone at 96, Henry Kissinger at 100, and now Sandra Day O'Connor at 93...

When people reach this extreme old age and die, either suddenly or not surprisingly, I never feel that this is a tragedy. It’s not. It’s life. Death is the natural termination of our existence and to have had a run at life that exceeds the vast majority of us is a triumph. I just look at whether they had lived a good life and what they have accomplished.

This past week with these three prominent Americans, I at least felt respect for two of them. The third case involved a complicated tally and I am satisfied to let history judge. 

• 3 weeks later...