Anyone else a victim of a "Thanksgiving ham" family?

viewing ownly

I personally can't stand the taste of ham, and it doesn't agree with my digestive system anyway. My sister (the twice divorced size queen / lousy chef) REFUSES to ever have turkey when she hosts Thanksgiving. She hosts, so she chooses the entrees. Extended family over the years has either passed away, or found a more ideal set of people to enjoy the day. Mashed potatoes with hot mustard mixed in, spicy rolls, and those frozen ice cream cones with the crappy nuts on top for dessert.

She prohibits others from bringing their own dish. That came to and end when heads butted eons ago when our father brought actual, delicious homemade mashed potatoes which everyone (except my sister) thoroughly enjoyed.

If the food isn't bad enough, she always puts on gory war movies at full blast. Incredibly unacceptable with those who have small children, but she could care less. Every year it's the same - "Isn't there a football game, parade, or something else to see, please?" Nope.

1 hour ago, viewing ownly said:

I personally can't stand the taste of ham, and it doesn't agree with my digestive system anyway. My sister (the twice divorced size queen / lousy chef) REFUSES to ever have turkey when she hosts Thanksgiving. She hosts, so she chooses the entrees. Extended family over the years has either passed away, or found a more ideal set of people to enjoy the day. Mashed potatoes with hot mustard mixed in, spicy rolls, and those frozen ice cream cones with the crappy nuts on top for dessert.

She prohibits others from bringing their own dish. That came to and end when heads butted eons ago when our father brought actual, delicious homemade mashed potatoes which everyone (except my sister) thoroughly enjoyed.

If the food isn't bad enough, she always puts on gory war movies at full blast. Incredibly unacceptable with those who have small children, but she could care less. Every year it's the same - "Isn't there a football game, parade, or something else to see, please?" Nope.

Either (1) rotate who hosts, or (2) show up to your sister's for 1 hour of conversation, drinks, and snacks, and then be on your way.  That's what I do some years with family at Thanksgiving or Christmas.  I'll tell them I have plans at 3:00pm, but I can stop by at 1:30 for pie and egg nog and conversation.

This way we get the family time without all of the headaches.

1 hour ago, viewing ownly said:

I personally can't stand My sister...

She came when our father brought actual, delicious homemade mashed potatoes...  Incredibly unacceptable with those who have small children, but she could care less.

Every year it's something.

A little editing never hurts.

Meet any similarly annoyed relatives at a cheap restaurant that's open and 'pig' out on turkey (see what I did there?) and when she asks why so few people showed up this year tell her the truth -- you wanted to enjoy the holiday with family and she makes that impossible.

Ha-Ha.jpg

Pooh & Friends.jpg

Marilyn kiss.gif

have a great day.gif

improper use of internet technology.gif

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell

6 hours ago, samhexum said:

A little editing never hurts.

Meet any similarly annoyed relatives at a cheap restaurant that's open and 'pig' out on turkey (see what I did there?) and when she asks why so few people showed up this year tell her the truth -- you wanted to enjoy the holiday with family and she makes that impossible.

Ha-Ha.jpg

Pooh & Friends.jpg

Marilyn kiss.gif

have a great day.gif

improper use of internet technology.gif

Excellent advice, but even more excellent supply of that shirtless hunk from yesteryear. Who is he?

4 hours ago, dbar123 said:

Give yourself a guilt release and decline the invite this year. You can catch up after the holiday. 

I moved across the country to get away from my own food dominatrix cousin. No regrets.

I interpreted that last line as literal.  If so, isn't that a little exterme?  Your sole reason for moving across the country was to get away from your cousin?

My mother made a Thanksgiving ham from Honey Baked Ham company. But she also did a turkey. We had both for two decades. So now, my family does both.  Lots of leftover meat for sandwiches and lunches/dinners for up to a week. Win win.  I couldn't imagine just doing the ham without turkey though. Had anyone sat your sister down and laid out the concerns in the context of finding someone else to host.... or else? Maybe she needs straight talk on this one. 

Well fortunately,  I like ham,  but don't have it much at Thanksgiving anyway.    I'm sure your plight is experienced by many out there.    Your sister sounds like a self centered individual who is more concerned about her intake than her guests.   

I'd have Thanksgiving at your home,  or if not possible,  "conspire"  with another family member to put the "T" back in Thanksgiving and have people bring the dish of their choice.    If you want to be nice,  invite your sister,  but tell her to leave her hot mustard to the bedroom.....haha

Sorry,  it was a late night with a client and still have a bit of an attitude.    Hope you have a great holiday and have some great food!

When I host, I do beef tenderloin with bérnaise sauce. Sometimes I do roasted red potatoes. This year I’ll skin two big Yukon golds and one yam, boil, mash and then add half a cup of heavy whipping cream, one stick of butter and some minced garlic and make whipped potatoes. I hate ham and turkey. I refuse to eat at relatives’ dinners where I know the food sucks and the big screen TV is playing football all afternoon, accompanied my Miller Lite.

My sister has a lock on Thanksgiving. Her in-laws are a bit challenging. None can really cook, one year they came with the big idea of using a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup in the Stove-Top stuffing rather than water. It took three of them to orchestrate that, along with her brother-in-law directing while waving his can of Miller Lite about. That was the year my parents couldn't attend since my Dad had just had knee surgery, we decided I'd go to the sister's for appetizers then put together plates to take to Mom & Dad's. I called the parents to let them know I was on the way, my mother asked "Dad has a bottle of wine downstairs, do you want to open that?" I answered "I think I'm going to need a martini". Dad was happy to oblige.

• 2 weeks later...