Eating Healthy During the Holidays

adunn1992

We’re approaching Thanksgiving and Christmas and all other holiday festivities this time of the year. What’s your go to tips to staying on track during this time of the year. 

Visiting my family in the past usually doesn’t allow me to stay in my normal routine of working out or meal schedule so any advice is helpful! 

2 hours ago, adunn1992 said:

We’re approaching Thanksgiving and Christmas and all other holiday festivities this time of the year. What’s your go to tips to staying on track during this time of the year. 

Visiting my family in the past usually doesn’t allow me to stay in my normal routine of working out or meal schedule so any advice is helpful! 

Good question AD! I know everybody's approach is  a little bit different and certainly no one can ever say or tell me to "live a little" because when I do, I REALLY do but honestly if I have a target date and any of those holidays are before my target date my mindset and my diet prep doesn't give a shit what holiday it is, it's business as usual. I don't expect everyone to adhere to that kind of crazy driven mentality, but when target date comes, I don't want to have any excuse as to why I might have missed the mark. It all depends on your goal, how bad you want it, and how much you're willing to sacrifice. It's been my experience that whenever I'm on a prep for a target date there's always gonna be a social gathering, people to "entertain", and or a holiday but if I gave in to holidays, and these types of events, I would never get into the type of shape that I get myself into. 

Edited by Vin_Marco

5 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

IMG_1107.jpeg

I live in extremes, that's how I'm programmed... I'm either all in or not at all. I find happiness and peace through restricting myself, through extreme discipline and have learned when to come up for air ( that's the moderation part of my life ) My way isn't for everyone but it works for me and it's made for a happy life that chases excellence not perfection.  I don't for one second feel like I've missed out on anything, quite the contrary actually.

2 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

Good question AD! I know everybody's approach is  a little bit different and certainly no one can ever say or tell me to "live a little" because when I do, I REALLY do but honestly if I have a target date and any of those holidays are before my target date my mindset and my diet prep doesn't give a shit what holiday it is, it's business as usual. I don't expect everyone to adhere to that kind of crazy driven mentality, but when target date comes, I don't want to have any excuse as to why I might have missed the mark. It all depends on your goal, how bad you want it, and how much you're willing to sacrifice. It's been my experience that whenever I'm on a prep for a target date there's always gonna be a social gathering, people to "entertain", and or a holiday but if I gave in to holidays, and these types of events, I would never get into the type of shape that I get myself into. 

I appreciate the feedback, friend. That is a very good point just like any goal in life there may be other obstacles or responsibilities that I will have to manage in order to achieve a set goal. Go hard or go home 😁

56 minutes ago, adunn1992 said:

I appreciate the feedback, friend. That is a very good point just like any goal in life there may be other obstacles or responsibilities that I will have to manage in order to achieve a set goal. Go hard or go home 😁

I won't ever steer you wrong or suggest something that I wouldn't do. I know there are self proclaimed "nutrition and fitness advocates" that don't know squat. I'm always here to help you... you know how to get a hold of me. 🫂 🤜🏽🤛🏽

31 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

I won't ever steer you wrong or suggest something that I wouldn't do. I know there are self proclaimed "nutrition and fitness advocates" that don't know squat. I'm always here to help you... you know how to get a hold of me. 🫂 🤜🏽🤛🏽

Roger that. 😁 May have to ask for more advice about supplements as well. May want to start that before the New Year kicks off. 

18 minutes ago, adunn1992 said:

Roger that. 😁 May have to ask for more advice about supplements as well. May want to start that before the New Year kicks off. 

Whenever you're ready, I'm happy to help 😊

6 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

It just isn't a problem for me, in fact I have the opposite problem - keeping weight on.  My coach is fond of saying that I have the metabolism of a12-year-old.   I've been on a strict regimen for my autoimmune problem, and my man tolde me I had to ease up on it because I had gotten too thin. 

@adunn1992 this holiday season I'll be in full diet prep mode but there have been years prior where I let up some, took my foot off the pedal and enjoyed "festivities" and waited until the new year came to get after it...  you can plot and chart your strategy in the meantime... there's always that route too my friend. 

14 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

@adunn1992 this holiday season I'll be in full diet prep mode but there have been years prior where I let up some, took my foot off the pedal and enjoyed "festivities" and waited until the new year came to get after it...  you can plot and chart your strategy in the meantime... there's always that route too my friend. 

Thanks for the feedback @Vin_Marco I think I will at least stay active on the exercise and gym front during this time of the year for 5 days a week minimum , and try to at least try not to indulge outside of my planned social settings like thanksgiving dinner etc. I think at least doing some running and rowing challenges will help at least to stay focused on the gym side during the holidays before they get packed with New Year’s resolution people.

1 hour ago, adunn1992 said:

Thanks for the feedback @Vin_Marco I think I will at least stay active on the exercise and gym front during this time of the year for 5 days a week minimum , and try to at least try not to indulge outside of my planned social settings like thanksgiving dinner etc. I think at least doing some running and rowing challenges will help at least to stay focused on the gym side during the holidays before they get packed with New Year’s resolution people.

Sounds very reasonable 👌🏽

Ten years ago, almost to the day, 80 lbs overweight, and faced with a diagnosis of sleep apnea (on top of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, and a bad back), I struck a bargain with my doctor: I would lose twenty pounds, and he would take the dreaded CPAP machine off the table. He agreed, and ten days before Thanksgiving — because why make it easy on myself? — I started eating at a deficit, and began the process of totally reforming my diet. A decade later, I’ve kept the weight off, and “cured” myself of various ailments. I’ve kept the fat off, and added some substantial muscle, in part by not sweating the holidays. I THOROUGHLY enjoy a ginormous carb-heavy Thanksgiving feast every year (and on other occasions!) with friends and family; but then I get right back to healthy moderate eating. And I try really, really hard not to slack off at the gym. 

Edited by myophile

One of the many many things I respect and admire  about you.....  what you have done takes so much diligence, discipline and an iron will. Remarkable 🙌🏽👌🏽👏🏽🏆

1 hour ago, Vin_Marco said:

One of the many many things I respect and admire  about you.....  what you have done takes so much diligence, discipline and an iron will. Remarkable 🙌🏽👌🏽👏🏽🏆

I benefit from the daily inspiration, and the active encouragement, of a squad of huge, bald, ripped, sweet, kind, generous boys!

Edited by myophile

2 minutes ago, adunn1992 said:

Thanks @Vin_Marco  also, as far as supplements what are some of the things you would recommend? Right now I mainly do a men's multivitamin and collagen peptides, and every now and then I do apple cider vinegar gummies.

Inbox me. I'll send you the list of my daily vits my friend 

I maintain my normally frenetic, Type A workout schedule throughout the holiday season and eat moderately but well. I’m taking a break from wine, which I love, so that eliminates plenty of useless calories. I will have some top shelf Burgundy or Barolo with holiday dinners, however. Such indulgences never add any pounds since my metabolism is still pretty good!

On 11/12/2023 at 4:28 PM, adunn1992 said:

What’s your go to tips to staying on track during this time of the year. 

I don't bother.

I enjoy myself for Thanksgiving through New Years and then burn fat again in January by going keto for a few weeks.

When off my usual gym routine, I just keep up with old-school military style push ups, pull ups and crunches, when I don't have access to weights or machines.

Since I am taking in a lot of additional calories I increase my focus on cardio.

Everyone has a unique metabolism so I realize others can't take a vacation from their routine and bounce back so easily.

22 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I don't bother.

I enjoy myself for Thanksgiving through New Years and then burn fat again in January by going keto for a few weeks.

When off my usual gym routine, I just keep up with old-school military style push ups, pull ups and crunches, when I don't have access to weights or machines.

Since I am taking in a lot of additional calories I increase my focus on cardio.

Everyone has a unique metabolism so I realize others can't take a vacation from their routine and bounce back so easily.

I seem to have a history of doing that some years too....  it's definitely a good time to give everything a break and enjoy food, REALLY enjoy food. If I don't do that during the holidays I pick other times of the year to do exactly what you suggest 🙌🏽