Cutting the cord ...again

jessmapex

About a decade ago I cut the cord, cancelled my expensive cable service and joined a streaming TV service that was cheaper. 

I tried Sling, YouTube TV, Sony (defunct now), Hulu with Live TV. All had crappy user interfaces that were slow. Eventually all raised their prices and now cost same as cable. 

I am not handy enough to climb the rooftop and install a good antenna to get broadcast tv.

But after getting tired of climbing streaming bills, endless ads to forward through, crappy programming,  I finally decided to cancel my streaming TV. 

I haven't truly cut the cord. I will still get news etc via regular YouTube and other local TV free apps on my Smart TV.

But for now, it's goodbye to linear TV. 

currently, I have Netflix and Hulu for a total of about $20/mo for both.....and I have an HD antenna, like Lucky mentions, to get free local channels (all four of them: PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS)........

as an aside, I'm going to miss Netflix DVD-By-Mail, which is ending in two weeks after a glorious 25 year run......that was the primary reason my TV was ever turned on......

Edited by azdr0710

32 minutes ago, Lucky said:

You can buy an antenna that sits right inside your house and brings you live TV. No roof needed.

The tabletop antennae are not good enough. I have tried those in many configurations and types. One does need a rooftop antenna for the best coverage. 

My cable / internet is coming due at the end of November, and I really want to cut my bill down (I have a DVR, remote DVR and the second-tier of cable programming, with free HBO). I also subscribe to Netflix and Prime. I'm thinking of dropping Netflix, as  don't watch it enough each month. I'd like to cut back further on my cable, though. 

I"m thinking of cutting the cord with Direct.   I can get all the network channels in fine with an HD antenna I just place in my condo window.   And with the live tv channels I also get subchannels direct doesn't have like Antena tv.   And the writers strike and no new shows is making the decision easier, about the only network TV I watch anymore is the local news.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime.   I have Hulu and Peacock for free with the AmEx $20 streaming credit benefit and I get Paramount Plus also courtesy of AmEx with the free walmart plus benefit.   So I have all three networks covered for streaming when the strike finally ends.

About the only thing I'll miss is the DVR but I can do catch up on the streaming services, I just have to sit through commercials since I have the basic service for all my streaming.

My samsung tv also has a bunch of free built in streaming channels.

My fiance laughs that I still get (until now) those DVD's by Netflix. They still have some streaming shows with some shirtless hunks, such as that silly pirate show One Piece....

Mackenyu Arata gets my gonads warm...

image.thumb.png.8b30c7ca39df8512ac2f70dcd45b8423.png

image.png.94e4236bb558d867c22600780b58d15d.png

image.png.e274fd086ae031dd96377ef5a85814aa.png

And Iñaki Godoy also has a nice body...

image.png.5ed74157cc2081433fde45320c0942d6.png

I have Spectrum cable bundled with Internet, and though it's expensive, it really provides all that I ever feel like watching--especially now that they have settled their dispute with Disney. However, my HOA is negotiating with Frontier for a deal that would include all residents of our 55+ community for a lower cost than Spectrum. I am waiting to hear what happens with that before I make any moves. (I have had Frontier for my landline phone for years, and have never been impressed with their service.)

18 hours ago, jessmapex said:

The tabletop antennae are not good enough. I have tried those in many configurations and types. One does need a rooftop antenna for the best coverage. 

It really does depend on where you live.  One would think that being in the middle of San Francisco would give good results with an inside antenna, but a lot of channels do not come in well (picture and audio cuts in and out) due to multipath interference.  This was true when TV signals were analog.  Center of the city -- horrible interference.  Up on Nob Hill, even though it was only a mile or two away, yielded much better reception.