Why Is Taylor Swift So Popular?

Lucky

18 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

So it's official. The ultimate reasons for her fame are simply marketing and social media. I could have told you that! 😎

No. That's the icing on the cake.  Taylor is the whole package, like it or not.  Unlike many other celebrities, I believe she has held true to her roots and is a genuine and caring  person.  I wouldn't consider myself a die hard Swiftie by any means but you've got to recognize that the woman is multi-talented.

On 8/6/2023 at 10:01 AM, Coolwave35 said:

I’m a huge Swifty and spent $40k on tickets to The Eras Tour.  Every dime was wellllll worth it. 

You have 70,000 people singing every word to 3 hours of live music. It’s an experience unlike anything I’ve ever gotten to experience before. 

If I had to listen to 70,000 people singing every word to 3 hours of live music, I would ask for all my dimes back. I don't pay to go to concerts to hear the people sitting around me sing - I go to hear the artist sing.

Perry Como became a singer only because he could not make it as a barber.  

While there may be some merit in seeing her live, I agree with Ali Gator that having the audience singing would make me a bit crazy and with the crowds she attracts, it is hard to believe you can really make her out except on the big screen.  So, if was inclined to listen to her music, I would do so in the comfort of my home with a beverage of my choice and no line for the bathroom.

1 hour ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

This thread feels a little like an 'Old Man Shakes Fist at Kids' kinda headline.

Every generation have their pop icons.  It's the way it's always been, parents understanding be damned.

She seems like a decent human being.  I'm fine with it.

Al Jolson. Bing Crosby.  Frank Sinatra  Elvis Presley  Beatles.  BeeGees.  Madonna. Micheal Jackson.Eminem. Taylor Swift.  

So White guy pretending to be black.  

White guy pretending not to be an alcoholic.  

White guy pretending not to be a mob front.

White guy pretending to be a rebel.  

While guys pretending to be the voice of their generation.

White guys pretending to be cool.

White guy pretending to be a woman. Okay, a woman pretending to be a woman.  

Black guy pretending to be white.

Another white guy pretending to be black.  

And now A white woman billionaire pretending to be everybody's best friend.  

Every generation has a voice unfortunately most of them are a front for something else.  

Edited by purplekow

2 hours ago, purplekow said:

Every generation has a voice unfortunately most of them are a front for something else.  

And that's always been the pop music business.  Smoke & mirrors.

As long as you're smart enough to separate the wheat from the chaff, you can just enjoy the songs for what they are.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

• 2 weeks later...
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Swift's concert pic had no trouble dancing past Martin Scorsese's new Western adult drama starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Lily...

Box Office: Taylor Swift’s ‘Eras Tour’ Is No. 1 With $31M, ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ Rides to $23M

Swift's concert pic had no trouble dancing past Martin Scorsese's new Western adult drama starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Lily Gladstone and Robert De Niro.

• 3 weeks later...

I checked the Hot 100 chart in the U.S., and she's on it so many times, even with very old songs, one would think she passed away as being a logical explanation to that phenomena. I would think even she'd be uncomfortable with her over-the-top obsession the press has of her, but she just turns up the gloat that much more - and why not? Nobody blatantly lives life to the fullest more than her.

Why?

I was in the audience at a sold out Bette Midler concert, San Jose Arena, where everyone new the words and sang along to Crackin Up from Having Lack of Shackin Up.

To each his own. 

For Swifties, there are just a lot more of them.  Quite a phenomenon!  

On 10/10/2023 at 3:02 AM, Ali Gator said:

The question is 'why is she so popular ?' - not 'what kind of person does she seem to be ?'.

One of the main reasons for her popularity is exactly because of the kind of person she is, or the kind of person her fans perceive her to be. She’s relatable as they say.  Of course, she’s talented, beautiful & very very smart too. 

Social media plays a big part, but not for the reasons you might think.  Younger generations raised on social media are followers.  They quickly jump on a trend and it becomes ubiquitous- they are desperate to be part of a tribe, finding common ground & then there’s FOMO.  If you visit certain cities that are overrun with “influencers” or “digital nomads” like Barcelona or Lisbon as two examples - the younger people all look the same: same fashion, same scooters, same tech equipment, same vacant look as they stare into their screens.  They think they’re all unique & different- yet all being told what to think, how to dress and what’s on-trend based on their social media feeds.  
It’s brainwashing on a global scale more or less, with algorithms designed to keep users engaged & influence thinking/buying decisions all served up by the social media platforms who are in it for money. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

I think people like her down home, nice girl looks and persona. A biking friend of mine knew her in high school in Hendersonville and his older brother went out with her for a while. She’s a nice change from most of the vulgar and trashy “artists” we see today.

• 2 weeks later...