Can you live on 600 calories a day?

marylander1940

Rebel-Wilson-Claims-She-Only-Needs-600-C
WWW.USMAGAZINE.COM

Rebel Wilson dropped more than 75 pounds between 2020 and 2022 — details on her current dieting outlook

COMP-JD-REBEL2.jpg?w=620

OP note: she had some inspiration and it lasted for a couple of years!

rebel-wilson-split-46.jpg?quality=75&str
PAGESIX.COM

She seems to be doing just fine.

Rebel-Wilson-Ex-BF-Jacob-Busch-Blindside

October-2020-Mexico-Rebel-Wilson-and-Jac

Congrats to Rebel for making it work- it certainly helped her snag a hot guy ;)

I work hard at keeping in shape by going to the gym and ensuring a weekly caloric deficit. BMI of 20 and 16% body fat- still some work to go. But I feel good. 

It’s sometimes a struggle to maintain as I eat out a lot, enjoy good food, and have a busy social calendar involving eating out most nights. Not sure if I can sustain myself on 600 (that is less than 2 orders of dimsum or equivalent to 8 dumplings)- even less than concentration camps- wasn’t it 800? 

There are a lot of factors...  for example, was she being monitored by a health professional while this was occurring?  Was she taking supplements/vitamins to get the things the body needed?  

At one point, I weighed over 500lbs and lost wait through diet and exercise.  At one point, I was only eating around 1000 calories a day (eventually moving to 1500).  For the first few weeks, I was just hateful as I was ALWAYS hungry.  Eventually I reached a point where it was "normal" for me.  

I would have something like a banana in the morning, a can of green beans for lunch, and a chicken breast with beans and steamed broccoli for dinner.  If I was hungry, I would eat raw veggies like celery, carrots, or broccoli.  (It was hard to not want to dip them in something like ranch!)  You can ingest a LOT of food that is not a lot of calories if you eat the right things!  

As part of that weight loss, I was reasonably active.  I was walking between 3-10 miles per day and was up and about taking care of the yard, etc.  

To answer the question, no. 
Long term it’s simply not enough nutrients to sustain life in a normal adult human. 
Short term? Sure. Hell you can ‘live" on zero calories for quiet a long time (e.g. Gandhi’s hunger strikes).
But during that time you are literally eating your own body. If you’re obese, that’s not such a bad thing.
Eventually, however, you will run out of reserves and begin to starve to death. 

Bottom line, if you want to lose weight, you've got to cut calories and get some exercise.

600 calories is putting yourself into starvation mode every single day.  That's tough on your brain, reasoning ability, heart and building/keeping muscle.

Sure, you can do this in the beginning when you have the extra weight to spare, but as you get to closer to your goal weight you have to reassess.

Starvation is not a viable lifestyle.  We've dressed it up many ways (ie, intermittent fasting), but long term it's still very tough on the body.

Maybe if it’s real food a lower calorie range is sustainable? I don’t know much about it. I cannot link this article and I’m mostly adult lifetime 6’ 180lbs or less with relatively low cal intake but high on nutritive value, and gym attender 50+ years … I just don’t get very hungry and I eat until I’m not hungry (ie, if this remaining food were not in front of me would I seek it?), not until I feel full; the former seems to coast me through. But the article seems very interesting. 

AD2B5AB8-488F-4357-8AE2-F06D051DC285.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob

Former NFL player Russell Okung said he lost 100 pounds recently going on a 40 day fast where he only drank water. One expert said he probably though also consumed vitamins and/or protein powder:

AA1cv3hv.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l
WWW.MSN.COM

Super Bowl champion Russell Okung says he lost more than 100 pounds on a 40-day "water fast." Here's what you need to know before trying it.

13 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Former NFL player Russell Okung said he lost 100 pounds recently going on a 40 day fast where he only drank water.

I’m sure everyone here knows this, but just in case….

This is an incredibly bad idea. I also agree that, given his muscular "after" photo, that he more than likely was eating some protein during his "fast". While it is a photo of a man who has eaten very little for 40 days, it’s not the photo of a man who has eaten zero protein for 40 days. If you attempt a fast for more than 3-7 days, I’d suggest doing it with close medical supervision, with the pre-agreement that you break it if they tell you too, no matter what. At the 2-3 week mark you are in serious danger of fucking up your body. It’s one thing for a very muscular (although overweight) professional athlete to fast for 40 days, and another for the average obese American to attempt the same. 

Not for long is the answer. Even a couch potato needs more calories than that, and being a couch potato is just as unhealthful as being obese. When we both lived in the SF East Bay, I used to have a rather close friend called Jennifer Portnick, who made national headlines when she sued Jazzercise for refusing to hire her as a fitness coach because she's fat. Although she is obese, she stays highly physically active, and as long as I knew her, she never had any health problems associated with obesity such as hypertension, diabetes, or obstructive sleep apnea. I mostly lost touch with her after she moved to Oregon, but she still works as a fitness instructor. Yes, for a short while one can survive on a 600 calorie a day diet, although hopefully medically-supervised, and taking vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids. As others have mentioned, a combination of modest caloric restriction and increased physical activity is the wisest choice. Starvation may make one look healthier, but it doesn't make up for being  couch potato. 

242334815_10158897909919495_229848428791
WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Jennifer Portnick is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Jennifer Portnick and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes...
defaultPromoCrop.png?year=2002
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Jennifer Portnick, 240-pound, 5-foot-8 aerobics teacher in San Francisco, reaches settlement with Jazzercise Inc on her complaint that she was denied franchise because of...

On 6/17/2023 at 6:31 AM, cany10011 said:

Congrats to Rebel for making it work- it certainly helped her snag a hot guy ;)

I work hard at keeping in shape by going to the gym and ensuring a weekly caloric deficit. BMI of 20 and 16% body fat- still some work to go. But I feel good. 

It’s sometimes a struggle to maintain as I eat out a lot, enjoy good food, and have a busy social calendar involving eating out most nights. Not sure if I can sustain myself on 600 (that is less than 2 orders of dimsum or equivalent to 8 dumplings)- even less than concentration camps- wasn’t it 800? 

If you eat out a lot, fish and salad are your friends.  Skip bread and dessert.

Just now, cany10011 said:

I try, but I love good sourdough bread! 

I need to take my own advice.  Since bread has started costing 8.00-9.00/loaf, I have been baking bread.  I have learned to make a killer loaf of white sandwich bread.  We can't leave it alone. 

I would also guess that anyone who claims to be taking in 600 calories per day is omitting from her calculations certain sources of calories, such as alcohol...

4 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I would also guess that anyone who claims to be taking in 600 calories per day is omitting from her calculations certain sources of calories, such as alcohol...

That crazy liquid protein diet popular way back when, based on hydrolyzed collagen, would give you ~150gr protein for about 600 calories.