Tina Turner Has Died at 83

Beancounter

From wapo.com:

She may have had second billing in her own group, but everyone knew who the star of the Ike and Tina Turner Revue was.

It was Tina Turner the world came to see, when she and her husband, Ike, toured with the Rolling Stones in the 1960s and scored a Grammy-winning

winning hit with “Proud Mary” in 1971.

It was Tina Turner who ignited the stage with her raw voice and her frenzied, sweat-soaked dancing, as she became one of the most dynamic and influential performers in popular music.

And it was Tina Turner who, after walking away from the spotlight and her volatile, abusive husband, remade herself as a solo artist, selling more than 100 million records, winning eight Grammy Awards and becoming a brighter star in her 40s and 50s than she had been in her youth. Her overtly sexual costumes, dance moves and persona were imitated by performers across generations, from Mick Jagger to Beyoncé to Cardi B.

Ms. Turner, whose saga of struggle and revival was defiantly expressed in her 1984 hit song “What’s Love Got to Do With It” and a best-selling autobiography, “I, Tina,” died May 24 at her home in Küsnacht, Switzerland, near Zurich. She was 83 and, in recent years, she had a stroke, kidney disease and other ailments. Bernard Doherty, her longtime publicist, confirmed the death but did not provide an immediate cause.

Ms. Turner, who grew up as Anna Mae Bullock in rural Nutbush, Tenn., was living in St. Louis in the late 1950s, when her older sister arranged an introduction to Ike Turner, who was performing at a local club.

At the very first Gay Games in San Francisco in 1982, Tina was the main performer, and I was there!

She saved my life on several occasions.

Her raw power, anger, joy, and strength saw me through many a hard night.

When all else failed, there was still Tina, me, and the Story of the Steel Claw.

"I don't know who's right or who's wrong
It doesn't really matter when you're lying in the gutter"

RIP My Queen.

Edited by nycman

need some goosebumps and a lift?......

this "Phil Spector" arrangement will help you out....wow, the background instruments!!.....

read the youtube captions (click on youtube at lower left) and, as usual, the comments section is fantastic......crank it!

Edited by azdr0710

I was absolutely devastated hearing about her passing, turned on my classic rock station late this afternoon and they told the news. What a beautiful person inside and out. Amazing onstage. I too regret not having seen her perform live. She was fire incarnate with the big hair, the legs, the high heels and the dance moves. A friend of mine who saw her said she was electric. 

I have a pretty large collection of vinyl records so I went out to my garage and pulled out 12 Tina Turner albums and played a couple today while having my late afternoon cocktail.

Hadn't played them in years. But the words and sounds came back like yesterday although for me I was tuned into her music in the 1980's when by coincidence I too was living in Switzerland, her adopted country.

She was a big star in Switzerland and Europe in those days and as she said later in her life, bigger in Europe than America. Although she was obviously big in her native land too. 

Like a lot of stars, when she finally cashed in, Switzerland was the place to live. With its low taxes, beautiful scenery, respect for privacy and "clean air" as she once remarked. What better place to retire.

16 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I have a pretty large collection of vinyl records so I went out to my garage and pulled out 12 Tina Turner albums and played a couple today while having my late afternoon cocktail.

Wow!  I'm surprised your old Victrola still works.  Or is it a gramophone?

Vintage_gramophone_1I2dfrv52.png?tr=n-la

Edited by samhexum
for shits and giggles

19 hours ago, LostUpstate said:

I too regret not having seen her perform live. She was fire incarnate with the big hair, the legs, the high heels and the dance moves. A friend of mine who saw her said she was electric. 

21 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

So sad to hear that Tina has passed.  I regret never seeing her live.   She was "Simply The Best".

I don't remember where it was, but when I was a young'n my family went on a vacation and at one place they had a puppet show with a puppet doing Proud Mary.  Fringed dress and everything.  I can still picture it.  What a performer!

I saw Tina during her Private Dancer tour in the summer of’85… she had such energy and was a mesmerizing performer to watch on stage. She spent pretty much that entire year doing 176 shows across Europe, Australia, Asia and North America… she was spectacular… and her dancing (and those legs) were electrifying! 

I saw her on her last tour. Took my mom for her birthday and we loved it. Her man at the time was three rows ahead of me and I was young and recognized him. He was very nice to chat with and let me take a picture wearing his back stage, all access pass.