Any Dolly Parton fans?

Trick

I've been a fan my whole life. My first NYC apartment was located above a famous guitar shop in the Village. This was so long ago I actually used paper checks to pay my rent to my landlord, the master guitar artisan who owned both the shop and the building. One night it was pouring rain when I got home and as I walked up to the shop to hand over my check, a car pulled up to the curb in front of the store. Someone got out of the back seat wearing a raincoat and a big hat and I held the shop door open for them. As they walked through, I heard one of the most recognizable voices in the world say, "Thank you kindly." Dolly was there to pick up a guitar she'd had my landlord repair. Most of the famous folks I've met have been really nice and she's absolutely one of the friendliest. 

When I first realized I loved Dolly:

I am sure I had heard Jolene before, but I don't know that I had heard anything else by Dolly other than her then-current hit single, Here You Come Again.  At the time, I belonged to Columbia House Music Club (remember the music clubs?) and decided to buy Dolly's " New Harvest...First Gathering" album so I could get that hit and see what else she had to offer.  Imagine my initial dismay when the album arrived and I realized that Here You Come Again was nowhere to be found.  My disappointment turned to love before the first track ended.  For anyone who doesn't know this album, it opens with the track "Light Of A Clear Blue Morning," which is basically a response to her split with former music partner Porter Wagoner.  I knew nothing of any of that at the time, though; I just knew that the song and her voice blew my mind.

Dolly Parton is one of those singers who just makes whatever she sings her own.  (Anyone remember Kay Starr?)

I recall when her composition Two Doors Down was released being sung by another female vocalist and how it bombed, no zing at all.  Shortly thereafter it was re-released sung by Dolly herself whereby it really clicked.