Has anyone use 2-1-1 for Truvada?

newdad

aka: PrEP on Demand or Event-Driven PrEP

If you've used it, How's your experience been and how long have you used it for?

To those not in the know: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/prep-on-demand.pdf

It's also been studied by World Health Organization: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/325955/WHO-CDS-HIV-19.8-eng.pdf?ua=1

10 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I don't use PrEP for sex with my husband - he is pos undetectable.   But I use the 2-1-1 approach for sex with guys outside our relationship.  

I'm glad your husband has been undetectable, and hopefully he'll always be that way. But you only know for sure he's undetectable on the day of his blood test. If he ends up detectable at some point, you won't know until it's too late if you don't take PrEP every day. I would recommend daily PrEP if you hubby's positive, even if he's always been undetectable in the past. 

4 hours ago, nycman said:

It’s seems to be slightly less effective than "daily" Prep.

2-1-1 is not FDA approved and the CDC recommends against it.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/prep/on-demand-prep.html

Nonetheless, it’s better than nothing. 

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/ah/prep-on-demand-dosing-guidance.pdf

FDA and CDC doesn't approve it, but various organizations do worldwide. CDC isn’t the sole and final word on things. 2-1-1 is backed by evidence and is endorsed by the French, Australian, and Canadian national health organizations, as well as the World Health Organization, International AIDS Society, the European AIDS Clinical Society, the British HIV Association, among others. In the US, the health departments of San Francisco and New York City approve of it.

19 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I'm glad your husband has been undetectable, and hopefully he'll always be that way. But you only know for sure he's undetectable on the day of his blood test. If he ends up detectable at some point, you won't know until it's too late if you don't take PrEP every day. I would recommend daily PrEP if you hubby's positive, even if he's always been undetectable in the past. 

We dont exchange fluids

14 hours ago, newdad said:

FDA and CDC doesn't approve it, but various organizations do worldwide. CDC isn’t the sole and final word on things. 2-1-1 is backed by evidence and is endorsed by the French, Australian, and Canadian national health organizations, as well as the World Health Organization, International AIDS Society, the European AIDS Clinical Society, the British HIV Association, among others. In the US, the health departments of San Francisco and New York City approve of it.

Has the evidence expanded to more than one study yet?

Gracious! I read the hyperlink to the document attached. My head is spinning! Who can remember all that let alone figure it out?

I note in all those charts and protocols there is no guarantee that if followed one will not contract HIV.

Surely, it's better and simpler to adopt a safeguard against STD infection and use it consistently and always? Wear a condom. If you take an HIV drug like Truvada or Descovy, commit to that regimen and stick with it.

25 minutes ago, misterhumphries said:

Gracious! I read the hyperlink to the document attached. My head is spinning! Who can remember all that let alone figure it out?

I note in all those charts and protocols there is no guarantee that if followed one will not contract HIV.

Surely, it's better and simpler to adopt a safeguard against STD infection and use it consistently and always? Wear a condom. If you take an HIV drug like Truvada or Descovy, commit to that regimen and stick with it.

You have a point, it reads like tax code.  It's why people fuck up the dosing when trying to do 2-1-1.

Let me now muddy the conversational waters even further with stats :) 

Condoms are only considered 90-95% effective against HIV transmission.  PrEP on the other hand is 99% effective when taken daily. 

Sure, you can use both, but if it's one versus the other, PrEP is more effective.  Most effective at the moment is the new injectable form of PrEP (Apretude) at 99%+

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

6 hours ago, BillyMan said:

Has the evidence expanded to more than one study yet?

I think there's been multiple studies on Truvada only. That's why they do not allow 2-1-1 for Descovy. Furthermore, the studies have only been on men who have sex with men, so they also do not allow 2-1-1 dosing for men who do  vaginal penetration.