Updated term for sitting on floor cross-legged - CrissCross AppleSauce

BeamerBikes

Just passing this along.

Sitting on the floor cross legged has no longer being referred to by the now problematic borderline racist term - "Indian Style"  

Apparently this changed some time in the 1990s in primary schools.  It's called Criss Cross Applesauce.  Just in case you ever have to direct kids or adults on the floor.  Though at my age, I'd rather stand than sit on the floor.  

This came up in a Facebook group and the poor author started to get ratioed.  

This reminds me of old-school theatre friends who still say 'gypsy robe ceremony' or 'gypsy' (in regards to an actor who's touring or going from show to show).

Someone recently said it in mixed company (younger/older) and you could have cut the politically-correct tension with a knife.

Like a good Catholic, I quickly changed the subject matter to the weather.

Yeah, I ran into this about 10 years ago.

An instructor told us to sit “criss cross apple sauce”….

I was lost. Once I saw what they were doing, I innocently said,
“Oh, you mean Indian Style’’….utter pandemonium ensued.

The next generation has already been indoctrinated.

It’s a lost cause. 

Edited by nycman

Were any of you in "Y Indian Guides" as a kid? It was a father/son thing sanctioned by the YMCA. The kid sat on the floor (Indian style, of course) between the dad's legs (dads were in a chair) and wore a headband with a feather. There were other nods to Native American culture during the meetings. 

I suppose this has long been abolished.  

40 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

Were any of you in "Y Indian Guides" as a kid? It was a father/son thing sanctioned by the YMCA. The kid sat on the floor (Indian style, of course) between the dad's legs (dads were in a chair) and wore a headband with a feather. There were other nods to Native American culture during the meetings. 

I loved Indian Guides.  I treasure the memories of spending time with my father.  I still have my headband 

16 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

I was in YMCA Indian Guides.

I fear that the next generation will not have the knowledge and respect for American Indian customs and values that were once revered, but instead come to view the group only as a marginalized minority with no knowledge of their rich history or values

On 1/30/2023 at 6:52 PM, BeamerBikes said:

Sitting on the floor cross legged...  It's called Criss Cross Applesauce. 

On 1/30/2023 at 7:28 PM, nycman said:

Yeah, I ran into this about 10 years ago.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:32 PM, Pensant said:

I always knew it as sitting cross-legged. 

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

I also always knew the position as "cross-legged,"

6 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

I was told sitting Indian style is also called "Butterfly Style"

5 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

I can't believe you'd insult butterflies like that.

I'm just...  Speechless.

My mom told me she sat that way when she was 8 months pregnant with me and rested her belly on her legs.

23 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

The same sort of appropriation of native culture went on here in Canada since the 19th century (we no longer refer to the term Indian in Canada without causing a brou haha).

We are still in the process of excising names on sport teams and other cultural institutions that depict images or names of natives or Indigenous people as they are now called or First Nations.  

We are also extirpating the names of colonizers( usually British but some French as well) who exploited the natives in some horrible way such as sending them to residential schools or allegedly  giving them blankets contaminated with smallpox.

Our first prime minister, Sir John. A Macdonald, who was once revered, is now widely reviled and he didn't even own slaves.

The woke wave is in full tide in Canada.