Favorite travel destination in the USA

FrankR

Los Angeles - good music venues, world class restaurants, museums and art galleries, and nice weather when it isn't experiencing a bomb cyclone. Good options of areas to stay in based on the experience you want to have. It doesn't hurt that it has a historically gay city in LA County.

Washington, DC - Lots of great museums and other attractions, good dining scene, and plenty of local and visiting providers to the area.

Miami & Fort Lauderdale - No where like it in the US with the beaches and nightlife, restaurants, and diverse latin and carribean influence all over the city. I've heard that Fort Lauderdale is a more relaxed experience with the gay neighborhood of Wilton Manors being a hub.

Edited by curiousbynature12

My friends tend to do New Orleans for Southern Decadence, Chicago for Market Days, NYC for pride, SF for Folsom. I find Portland fun for strippers, LA fun for masseurs, and Key West/Miami/Ft Lauderdale for little gay get aways when there is a birthday or special occasion. Never been to Fire Island/Ptown but it’s on my list. I’m in Hawaii all the time if anyone passes through or needs advice! Aloha 🤙 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 11:54 AM, FrankR said:

When it comes to the hobby - what is your favorite travel destination in the USA and why?

I would like to start planning my travel for the year and suggestions/insights would be appreciated. 😁

One would have to be more specific to get good advice. When are you traveling? What sorts of things are you looking for? In terms of East Coast cities, I find Washington DC the most interesting--in terms of scenic beauty, things to do, variety of cuisine. However, it's mostly a Spring/Fall destination, as it can get quite uncomfortable in the summer and winter. I enjoy the Hillwood Estate, formerly owned by the late  Marjorie Merriweather Post. She'd stay there in the Spring and Fall, going to the mountains of upstate New York in the summer, and southern Florida in the winter (she was the original owner of Mar-a-Lago). 

NYC definitely has the best options in terms of theater productions, and is perhaps the only city to rival or exceed DC in terms of restaurant and museum options. Other than that, I don't understand the attraction of NYC. LA has an attractive locale. It's especially pretty in the early Spring, but is nice to visit almost any time of year, although the rainy season from December to March can be iffy (though if it's clear, the green hills and snow-capped mountains are lovely). Museums in LA are very spread out, and you'll probably need a car, unlike DC or NYC.

If you're interested in natural beauty, the national parks are often spectacular. Nothing beats the Grand Canyon. In the summer, Yellowstone is also unique and incredible. Bryce Canyon is also something to behold. Yosemite is at its best in June. I love Mount Rainier in July or August. 

If you’re looking for destinations to exclusively engage in this hobby, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Miami/Ft Lauderdale, LA, DC, all have a delightful selection of gents to make your travels memorable. 

If you’re looking for destinations for both this hobby, and other activities, you may want to give some indication of what other activities you enjoy ie; beaches, museums, theatre, dining out, ad infinitum. 

If you elaborate a bit more on what exactly you’re looking for, providers and activities, I’m sure your fellow hobbyists will offer up a plethora of suggestions for you!

My favorite destination is Palm Springs in April.  Will be there again this year and I invite all reading this to come and enjoy the great company, the great weather and as Dolly Parton kind of sung in a great movie role for her  There is a lot of good will and maybe one small thrill but there is nothing dirty going on.  

Edited by purplekow

• 3 weeks later...