RIP Gina Lollobrigida 1927-2023

CuriousByNature

4 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

Gina Lollobrigida has passed away at the age of 95.  

3 hours ago, sync said:

She was a stunning-looking woman.

1 hour ago, CuriousByNature said:

She and Sophia Loren, and Yvonne De Carlo too.  I can't think of anyone today that can hold a candle to those three in their prime.

47 minutes ago, KrisParr said:

Ah, yes- a fashion icon who continued to wear those incredible “bullet” or “cone” shaped bras. Just like my grandma did.

How could anyone think of her without hearing Fred Flintstone serenading her cartoon doppleganger?

In a desperate effort to convince Fred that she needs a maid to help her in household duties, Wilma carries wood logs while moaning and groaning, feigns lassitude, complains of brittle hair, and uses mascara to produce dark circles under her eyes as a symptom of Hemopoopalitis, of which the treatment is restful recuperation. Fred touches Wilma's eye circles, finds thick mascara on his finger, and knows that Wilma is faking her misery.

So, Wilma changes tactic by crying loudly enough for Fred to relent and agree to hire a maid, though finding the necessary money to pay her salary will be difficult without an increase in earnings from Slate at the rock quarry. The maid is a lively Italian named Lollobrickida, who cooks a delectable menu. Unbeknown to Fred, Lollobrickida cannot abide bad singing, and after Fred's bombastic morning aria ("Oh, Lollobrickida, your food I diggeda!") in the bathroom shower, she broaches the topic of dish-shattering and ear-hurting song to Fred, but he forestalls her complaint with a promise to serenade her day and night in appreciation for her cooking, then swiftly departs home to go to his job.

Lollobrickida could not work for Fred under such torturous conditions and, while Wilma is visiting Betty, quits her Flintstone maid position. 

37 minutes ago, glennnnn said:

Gina was a much bigger star in Italy than in the United States. Gorgeous, but not a great actress like Sophia who took more chances and commanded more respect internationally. Gina was pretty, but Loren had/has gravitas and true talent.

And a famous daughter in law.

NCIS Star Sasha Alexander Has A Very Famous Mother-In-Law

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

A few weeks ago, I rewatched Solomon and Sheba (1959), starring Yul Bryner and Gina Lollobrigida, a typical and predictable Hollywood Bible story.

There was one scene I had not remembered from my earlier viewings: a dance with a very suggestively costumed Gina, honoring her Sheban gods. I think my mouth opened a little in surprise that both the costume and Gina's gyrations actually made into a 1950s movie. Although I self-identify with the phrase "as three-dollar bill," even I said, "That was hot!"

I was even more surprised to learn she was still alive at the time and living in Rome.

19 hours ago, wsc said:

A few weeks ago, I rewatched Solomon and Sheba (1959), starring Yul Bryner and Gina Lollobrigida, a typical and predictable Hollywood Bible story.

There was one scene I had not remembered from my earlier viewings: a dance with a very suggestively costumed Gina, honoring her Sheban gods. I think my mouth opened a little in surprise that both the costume and Gina's gyrations actually made into a 1950s movie. Although I self-identify with the phrase "as three-dollar bill," even I said, "That was hot!"

I was even more surprised to learn she was still alive at the time and living in Rome.

is this the dance scene?......wow, she is quite sexy and the shenanigans going on all over the background ain't bad neither!!.......be aware that the very sexy "Pagan" music is not original to the movie (see the caption info by clicking on "youtube" at lower left)......

Edited by azdr0710

She went through intense and upsetting family legal battle with her son recently, since she started to take in her home a young 24 years old guy (whom she called her stepson..) who is now 35, and who's apparently the beneficiary of her fortune.

I think this is her last interview from a year ago (sorry, in Italian) where she opens up about it.

Gina Lollobrigida as a mystery guest on the game show What's My Line:

Unfortunately, both appearances are very brief as the panel guessed her identity quickly.

Gina's spot begins at the 14:07 mark..

Gina's spot begins at 17:10

Interesting to note how polite and genteel the celebrities (panel/guest/moderator) were back then. They dressed elegantly and spoke English well.
..so very different than the uncouth, moronic slobs of today who can barely speak proper English and use vulgarities regularly. And it's not just the Kardashians and Snoop Dogg. 
Just a different bygone era of respect and class.

BoZo

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

Gina Lollobrigida was not just a pretty face.

"When she stopped making films, Lollobrigida developed new careers as a photographer and sculptor and was also a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), and its Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO)."

"Between 1972 and 1994 she published six books of her photographs, including Italia Mia (My Italy), The Philippines, and the Wonder of Innocence, photographs of and for children."

Gina Lollobrigida: From post-war film legend to artist | Reuters

13 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

the very sexy Pagan music is apparently not original to the movie

"Edited with genuinely Pagan music🤣🤣🤣

The creator of this video doesn't seem to know that this is a rip-off of very typical Bollywood music. There's nothing remotely "pagan" about it -- unless he's thinking of the bigoted, colonialist meaning of the word. Much of the repertoire of Dead Can Dance is derived from Asian, Middle Eastern, and other world music.

Edited by Marc in Calif

9 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

"Edited with genuinely Pagan music🤣🤣🤣

The creator of this video doesn't seem to know that this is a rip-off of very typical Bollywood music. There's nothing remotely "pagan" about it -- unless he's thinking of the bigoted, colonialist meaning of the word. Much of the repertoire of Dead Can Dance is derived from Asian, Middle Eastern, and other world music.

ugh!......don't take it so seriously!.......I was only asking wsc if this was her sexy dance scene he mentioned earlier!........

8 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

ugh!......don't take it so seriously!

I didn't diss you at all. It was the video creator who wrote the word Pagan. 😎

The original music for this dance sequence (although extremely cheesy even for Hollywood!) actually did a good job of accompanying the choreography and crowd scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXIhv47yfGo&ab_channel=TheaestheticoftheImage%3A[world]cinemaclips

Edited by Marc in Calif

On 1/16/2023 at 2:41 PM, samhexum said:

How could anyone think of her without hearing Fred Flintstone serenading her cartoon doppleganger?

In a desperate effort to convince Fred that she needs a maid to help her in household duties, Wilma carries wood logs while moaning and groaning, feigns lassitude, complains of brittle hair, and uses mascara to produce dark circles under her eyes as a symptom of Hemopoopalitis, of which the treatment is restful recuperation. Fred touches Wilma's eye circles, finds thick mascara on his finger, and knows that Wilma is faking her misery.

So, Wilma changes tactic by crying loudly enough for Fred to relent and agree to hire a maid, though finding the necessary money to pay her salary will be difficult without an increase in earnings from Slate at the rock quarry. The maid is a lively Italian named Lollobrickida, who cooks a delectable menu. Unbeknown to Fred, Lollobrickida cannot abide bad singing, and after Fred's bombastic morning aria ("Oh, Lollobrickida, your food I diggeda!") in the bathroom shower, she broaches the topic of dish-shattering and ear-hurting song to Fred, but he forestalls her complaint with a promise to serenade her day and night in appreciation for her cooking, then swiftly departs home to go to his job.

Lollobrickida could not work for Fred under such torturous conditions and, while Wilma is visiting Betty, quits her Flintstone maid position. 

And a famous daughter in law.

NCIS Star Sasha Alexander Has A Very Famous Mother-In-Law

ly doubt that many people

think of her first as a cartoon character to laugh at.

A.mong her co-stars: Frank Sinatra 

Burt Lancaster

Tony Curtis

Anthony Quinn

Tyrone Power 

Edited by WilliamM

On 1/17/2023 at 8:22 AM, BOZO T CLOWN said:

Unfortunately, both appearances are very brief as the panel guessed her identity quickly.

Interesting to note how polite and genteel the celebrities (panel/guest/moderator) were back then. They dressed elegantly and spoke English well.
..so very different than the uncouth, moronic slobs of today who can barely speak proper English and use vulgarities regularly. And it's not just the Kardashians and Snoop Dogg. 

Agree  completely, except for gossip columnist Dorothy Kilgallon.

She wrote that Humphrey Bogart had cancer. Kilgallon was right, but Bogart didn't know, until he read it in paper Kilgallon was a panelist on What's My Line

Edited by WilliamM

On 1/17/2023 at 6:22 AM, BOZO T CLOWN said:

BoZo

wow, Danny Ferguson, the soccer player, after Gina's appearance in the first clip...........zowee!!.....even his signature is sexy!

Edited by azdr0710