Moving a provider in. Your thoughts?

glutes

3 minutes ago, keroscenefire said:

I couldn't find the 30-day rule (or 14-day rule) in that document. This is what I found:

Owners and operators of residential rental property (also known as “landlords”) may not allow
any person to initiate a new occupancy of a rental property for more than 30 days unless and
until the tenant has been provided a copy of an executed written lease,1 signed by both the landlord and tenant. The landlord must provide the tenant an electronic copy of the signed lease, or paper copy if requested by the tenant, within seven days from the tenant signing the lease

Glossary of Terms and Definitions:

Tenant: A person who rents a rental property from a landlord.

Did I miss something?

26 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I couldn't find the 30-day rule (or 14-day rule) in that document. This is what I found:

Owners and operators of residential rental property (also known as “landlords”) may not allow
any person to initiate a new occupancy of a rental property for more than 30 days unless and
until the tenant has been provided a copy of an executed written lease,1 signed by both the landlord and tenant. The landlord must provide the tenant an electronic copy of the signed lease, or paper copy if requested by the tenant, within seven days from the tenant signing the lease

Glossary of Terms and Definitions:

Tenant: A person who rents a rental property from a landlord.

Did I miss something?

Hmm...that definitely does seem like you have to be paying rent for that to apply. 

For a long time, Denver had a rule that prohibited more than two unrelated people from living together and that included "guests" that weren't paying rent. But they recently changed that law in the last election to allow up to five unrelated adults to live together. So maybe something changed in the language when that happened...not sure.

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

@Unicorn

You're welcome.

Just read that document and it is written to deal with cases where a guest stays in a rental unit with a tenant, not a person who owns their own residence.  It lays out the rules in all the states where the guest becomes a tenant that is added to the lease if they meet the criteria.

It doesn't deal with unwanted guests in someone's home which belongs to them.

Edited by Luv2play

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I'd be extraordinarily surprised if this doesn't vary widely from one jurisdiction to another. 

In "common law", the operative concept is "adverse possession” for vacant property when non-owners move in without permission.  The owner can lose ownership to the squatters.  That's different from Glutes's fact pattern where his initial residence is by an extended invitation.  Whether or not rent is paid, allowing a person to reside for a period of time confers tenancy rights, especially in the absence of an enforceable contract that has a set term and contemplates termination.

1 hour ago, maninsoma said:

That article applies to people who spend time in a rental unit even though they are not on the lease, not guests of the owner living in his own residence.

Slight correction:  it discusses the rental unit scenario, but it doesn't exclude the same legal analysis where the person allowing someone to move in owns rather than rents the domicile. 

On 10/24/2022 at 10:12 AM, glutes said:

I'm looking for advice on this arrangement from the community here. Pros / cons / caveats.
Thank you in advance!

@glutes, I’m very happy for you that you found such a special person. There’s a lot of good advice shared by concerned members. Keep us posted on your decision. I hope whatever you decide it works out for the best. 🙏