Users Can Now Change Names

RadioRob

Did you sign up for a username back in the 1900’s and it’s feeling a bit dated?  Maybe you just realized you prefer being called something else entirely.  

Walter White Walk GIF by Breaking Bad

If this sounds like you… I have good news!  You can now change your member name.

Head on over to your Account Settings and choose “Display Name”.  There you will be able to pick a new username to use on this site without needing to start over and lose your account history.

There are a couple of things to note with this:

• You can only change your name once every 30 days.  (While I appreciate you might prefer a name-a-day, it’s hard for the rest of us to keep up with everything!)
  • You can only pick usernames that are not already registered on the site.  
  • Our community guidelines apply to names.  Changing your name to something that violates the rules will result in a warning being issued and an admin changing your name to something of our picking!  (Most likely back to whatever it was before, but I reserve the right to be bitter if necessary!)
  • Once you change names, your current name is no longer saved. It can be registered by someone else. 

Enjoy your new name!

7 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Once you change names, your current name is no longer saved. It can be registered by someone else. 

is there any way to have a user name history tied to an account? for example, if I change my name from JoeMendoza to RadioJoe - is there anyway I can still have JoeMendoza on my user name history (i.e., I have a hard limit to 12 user names tied to my account per annum - should I decide to change it back) vs. the user name being used by another registered user. 

3 hours ago, jjkrkwood said:

Is this intended to help members escape their Sins ?      not really sure how I feel about this....give me a minute  🤔

No… all posts/activity still follow the name change. If the person wanted a clean start, they instead would want to register a totally new account. 

10 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

No… all posts/activity still follow the name change. If the person wanted a clean start, they instead would want to register a totally new account. 

It still might be hard for other members to make the connection.....I'm still marinating on it but appreciate the clarification.  

I know there may be cases where folks have legit issues with this, but I have to say I really appreciate the option being made available. I've been seriously wanting/needing to change my user name (once and only once, knock on wood) for years. And now it's done and I am thrilled. I'll risk a bit of temporary confusion for the permanent improvement in my particular situation. 

On 4/22/2022 at 11:06 AM, jjkrkwood said:

It still might be hard for other members to make the connection.....I'm still marinating on it but appreciate the clarification.  

Yeah I'm afraid of that also. Maybe if someone changes their name they could put their former name in their signature at least for a little while so other members will know:

*Formerly Known As XYZ* for example. 

The whole point for changing a name is to not be associated with the old one anymore.  :)  

So displaying a FKA would defeat the purpose of the name change in the first place.  Moderators can see name changes. 

There have been only a few changes so far and none of them have majorly disrupted the flow of the site so far. 

3 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

The whole point for changing a name is to not be associated with the old one anymore.  :)  

So displaying a FKA would defeat the purpose of the name change in the first place.  Moderators can see name changes. 

There have been only a few changes so far and none of them have majorly disrupted the flow of the site so far. 

Maybe we will soon see a RadioDaddy!

Just now, Quincy_7 said:

I'd prefer if there were limits on name changes, such as 3 lifetime changes permitted or something similar. It may be hard to recognize posters if they just keep changing their username every month.

Or perhaps keep a name change history that is accessible...like under the name, a clickable "name history".

Again, I think y’all are making this into more of an issue than it needs to be. Of the site’s 3600 active people in the last 30 days, we have had literally not even 0.3% change their name. I can count the total number of changes without even needing my toes!

If this really does become a problem, there are tools that I can use to solve it… including reducing the time.  I can also disable the ability for individual people to not be able to change names  

Lets not focus on solving a problem that has not happened yet. :)  

Quite frankly, I don't like the idea. As we are all anonymous on this site, the only identifier we have is our moniker. Over time we get to tecognize participants in the forum by associating their names with our perceptions of their personalities.

Changing their names is like entering into the witness protection program. New name, new identity. Very alienating in my view.

Also if someone's name disappears I will probably think they died.

Edited by Luv2play