Sending a treat to someone in an assisted living facility

FreshFluff
This topic is 786 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The person has Parkinson’s disease, and the facility is not local. He uses a walker but can clearly type etc. However, he is not groomed, which makes me thinks he’s struggling to access suppliesh needs. 

I’d like to send a particular brand of pie that is considered really good. It needs to be cut, but I figure i’ll send a pizza cutter thing separately. 

Does this sound like a good idea? If not, do you any ideas for something that that would work? 

Edited by FreshFluff

1 hour ago, FreshFluff said:

The person has Parkinson’s disease, and the facility is not local. He uses a walker but can clearly type etc. However, he is not groomed, which makes me thinks he’s struggling to access suppliesh needs. 

I’d like to send a particular brand of pie that is considered really good. It needs to be cut, but I figure i’ll send a pizza cutter thing separately. 

Does this sound like a good idea? If not, do you any ideas for something that that would work? 

It is my understanding that most facilities of this nature have a social worker assigned to them. Make him/her your friend and they will be a source of great insight when it comes to gifts. Works for me. 😉

2 hours ago, FrankR said:

It is my understanding that most facilities of this nature have a social worker assigned to them. Make him/her your friend and they will be a source of great insight when it comes to gifts. Works for me. 😉

The resident isn’t someone I know well, so I wouldn’t want to ask the facility about him. He’s just someone whose day I want to brighten. 

I did this for my brother-in-law for his birthday and at the December holidays for the last several years of his life. He had to move to an assisted living facility after a series of strokes that left him needing more comprehensive physical care than my older sister could provide at home. It worked out fine. In his case, the facility staff were happy to store whatever treat I sent in the kitchen and serve it to him with his regular meals. He wasn't really the sharing type, but I'm sure he could have asked to share it with others if he'd so desired. Cupcakes were his favorite. 

11 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

The resident isn’t someone I know well, so I wouldn’t want to ask the facility about him. He’s just someone whose day I want to brighten. 

The people at the facility will not question your relationship but instead see you as a friend wanting to help one of their residents.  It seems they may know him better than you and be able to make suggestions.  I think you will find them thrilled to help.

Most “assisted living” facilities (not skilled nursing) have a small “kitchen” in each assisted living “apartment”.  Such a “kitchen” will not have a stove but typically  a microwave, sink and small refrigerator.  Really designed for light snacks (microwave popcorn, fruit).  If your friend has such a “kitchen”, your gift might be something that the “kitchen” could accommodate.

It is wonderful that you are doing this and your friend will welcome whatever you send.👍

You can't go wrong with those glorious David Attenborough Nature DVDs.  If the person needs a DVD player to go with it, those are not particularly expensive these days, and it will really give them a lift and a smile, particularly if they are partially, or fully, bed-ridden. 

Best to you and your friend.

45 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

My mother lived in an independent living facility.  The facility had a dining room and provided one meal per day.  Residents were on their own for breakfast and dinner.  She had a little kitchen in the apartment - cabinets, small refrigerator, microwave. 

My mother had exactly the same set-up. It probably would help to know what the situation is before deciding on the gift.

17 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

Bring the pie and yourself to the facility/your new friend, (if possible)… either slice the pie for them if they like or have this person’s attending staff slice it for them~  

On 4/4/2022 at 9:00 AM, Tygerscent said:

Bring the pie and yourself to the facility/your new friend, (if possible)… either slice the pie for them if they like or have this person’s attending staff slice it for them~  

I wish that were possible but he’s thousands of miles away.