Into The Woods

foxy

Today I took myself to the box office and got 5th row orchestra seats for the final performance of Into The Woods May 15. Really looking forward to seeing it as it has a good cast and Encores usually does a good production. Not sure how stripped down this will be but it’s all about the music. 
The last production I saw was in 2002 when Vanessa Williams played the witch. I’ll never figure out how they did that instant, right in front of your eyes change from the ugly witch to the beautiful witch. It was great stage magic. 
I’m also a big fan of the movie version which isn’t often the case. 
https://www.nycitycenter.org

Although I’m a big Sondheim fan it sometimes takes me a few times seeing one of his shows for it to grow on me. Sunday In The Park With George for one. I saw the original production and just shrugged. Eventually after a few more I saw the one with Jake Gyllenhaal (big sigh) from the second row orchestra. I thought he was great and the best production I experienced. Now I’m going to get totally shameless. A friend of mine, a screen writer invited me to a private screening of the movie Stronger. Jake being the star hosted a party and I got to go up to him after the screening and talked to him for a few minutes. He looked gorgeous in person close up by the way. He stood there politely while I told him how much I enjoyed his performance as George. I actually said “I couldn’t take my eyes off you” making a total fool of myself. But it was true. He didn’t seem to mind. 

• 1 month later...

This afternoon I saw the final performance of Into The Woods at City Center. A brilliant production of a brilliant play with a brilliant cast. Neil Patrick Harris, Sara Bareilles, Gavin Creel, Heather Headley, Ann Harada, Denee Benton to name just a few. The best thing I’ve seen in years. I had a very good seat for this sold out production. Every number was a sitting ovation. 

706DFBD6-1E58-4087-91ED-53AC6BA30D1C.jpeg

86FB9A0F-1BC1-45B3-A54F-54D8A07D3575.jpeg

1 hour ago, foxy said:

This afternoon I saw the final performance of Into The Woods at City Center. A brilliant production of a brilliant play with a brilliant cast. Neil Patrick Harris, Sara Bareilles, Gavin Creel, Heather Headley, Ann Harada, Denee Benton to name just a few. The best thing I’ve seen in years. I had a very good seat for this sold out production. Every number was a sitting ovation. 

Those sitting ovations aren't as hard on the legs.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:15 PM, foxy said:

The last production I saw was in 2002 when Vanessa Williams played the witch. I’ll never figure out how they did that instant, right in front of your eyes change from the ugly witch to the beautiful witch. It was great stage magic. 

I don't know how they did the transformation in that revival (which I think was largely a sub-par production), but in the original, Bernadette had a stage double (both of them wearing hoods so you really couldn't see their faces clearly) standing in during the scene. You *heard* Bernadette say the lines, but you weren't actually seeing the real her the whole time. Until the reveal. 

Edited by bostonman

I find it so brilliant at weaving together different stories thought to be for children, but each holds uncomfortable truths for disappointed grown-ups. And ends with hope!  

Seems like the cast and City Center production make it work brilliantly.
I remember the intense interest and gayticipation when it premiered in the 80’s and I was still into Sunday in the Park. I’ve grown fonder of Into the Woods with each hearing since then. I never fail to take away something new, like with all his work. Good for Encores!

Edited by jeezifonly

On 5/15/2022 at 7:29 PM, foxy said:

706DFBD6-1E58-4087-91ED-53AC6BA30D1C.jpeg

86FB9A0F-1BC1-45B3-A54F-54D8A07D3575.jpeg

"The best thing I've seen in years"

What?

I saw Ethel Merman in"Gypsy" and it was far better than "Into The Woods."

Oh, William, my dear. Foxy said it was the best thing THEY have seen in years. Not you. Foxy. Who probably didn't see the original Gypsy. Plus, "in years" doesn't necessarily mean "for all time," just "in a certain span of years."

I'm sure the original Gypsy was more than amazing. And we love your enthusiasm for the old days. But call off the dogs, please. :classic_biggrin:

I didn’t see Ethel Merman in Gypsy but I did see Angela Lansbury in the  role in 1974. When she did the number Together Wherever You Go the audience went wild and literally stopped the show. It was, I think, the only time I ever saw that happen. The cast just stood there while the audience kept screaming. It was strange since it’s not exactly a major number. After a few minutes the audience calmed down and to everyone’s surprise they did the whole number all over again. The audience went ballistic. Angela Lansbury just stood there laughing. It was one of those crazy theater moments. 

On 5/19/2022 at 7:02 PM, bostonman said:

Oh, William, my dear. Foxy said it was the best thing THEY have seen in years. Not you. Foxy. Who probably didn't see the original Gypsy. Plus, "in years" doesn't necessarily mean "for all time," just "in a certain span of years."

I'm sure the original Gypsy was more than amazing. And we love your enthusiasm for the old days. But call off the dogs, please. :classic_biggrin:

Interesting response. Ethel Merman did perform for charities like the Museum of the City of New York. Once at Carnegie Hall - all proceeds going to the museum.

And she rarely had an unsuccessful Broadway show, with Gershwin and Berlin writing song for her.

City Center has announced that it’s acclaimed production of Into The Woods is moving to the St. James Theater June 28 for an 8 week run. Good news! There are a few changes to the cast but the new actors are equally as talented. I look forward to seeing this a second time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll watch anything with Nancy Opel.

While I'm lukewarm on yet another revival of this show, the cast has remained solid while recasting some of the weaker links from the CC run.

Patina Miller is an especially inspired choice.  Her run as The Witch in the Hollywood Bowl production was great.

• 5 weeks later...

Saw the transfer last night and it was wonderful. Works beautifully in the smaller space, which is still pretty big and was mostly sold out. Phillipa Soo and Brian D'Arcy James are both perfection as Cinderella and the Baker. I liked NPH, but BDJ adds a heart to it and has wonderful chemistry with Sarah Barielles. Patina Miller seemed not quite up to speed in act one, but was wonderful in act two. Nancy Opel makes the most of her tiny role, and Aymee Garcia is terrific as Jack's mother. I splurged on great seats and loved every second. (The St. James isn't great for leg room.) I did notice it was on the tkts board for 40% off this week. I may wait until later in the run to go once again.