The Galleries

StLouisOct

I find it a bit confusing now.  The Gallery has a 'Pics Of The Day' thread (to use an example), but The Legacy ALSO still has a 'Pics Of the Day' thread.  Both of them seem to get updates - but not the same content.  So if I want to catch everything, I now need to view both threads (?)  I also find The Legacy easier to scroll through and to save/download favorites from.  Seems like a case of 'fixing' something that wasn't broken.

1 hour ago, Boink said:

I find it a bit confusing now.  The Gallery has a 'Pics Of The Day' thread (to use an example), but The Legacy ALSO still has a 'Pics Of the Day' thread.  Both of them seem to get updates - but not the same content.  So if I want to catch everything, I now need to view both threads (?)  I also find The Legacy easier to scroll through and to save/download favorites from.  Seems like a case of 'fixing' something that wasn't broken.

I know @RadioRobposted on another thread he wants to just have The Gallery and eventually lock and make read only The Legacy. With The Legacy you have to scroll through pages and pages of threads to see all the pics. With The Gallery you can see them much easier.

1 hour ago, Boink said:

That's another thing. The Legacy galleries tell you when new content was added.  As far as I can tell, the 'new' galleries don't.

Agreed, that's a big part of the reason I'm still preferring the old gallery format.  There doesn't seem to be any indicator that you've scrolled to previously-seen content.

Edited by poolboy48220

1 hour ago, poolboy48220 said:

Agreed, that's a big part of the reason I'm still preferring the old gallery format.  There doesn't seem to be any indicator that you've scrolled to previously-seen content.

Yes, there is an indicator when scrolling through images.

When viewing an album such as:

Your view should by default look something like:

image.png

The black dot to the left of the image caption (in this case "Sexy feet and the it gets even better") indicates that the image has not been seen previously.  

Clicking on the image gives you details about it.  For example any comments or reactions.  It also lets you rate the image, etc.  

4 hours ago, Billsboy4 said:

What confuses me is.....are the most recent pics at the beginning or the end of the posts?

The most recent images are displayed FIRST.  This is different than a forum topic where the oldest are displayed first.  Typically when viewing an album, most people prefer to see the newest stuff first because they've generally seen the older stuff.  If not, they just keep scrolling to see it all.  

4 hours ago, Billsboy4 said:

What confuses me is.....are the most recent pics at the beginning or the end of the posts?

Also...  you can choose how pictures are sorted AND displayed.

image.png

The Sort By dropdown lets you change how you see the images displayed.  In addition, if you don't like the large thumbnail view and would prefer a more "traditional" list view, click the "Show as List" box that I show in the example above.  It will make the image previews look like:

image.png

This would make you click each image you're more interested in and trigger the "image read" icon.  

21 hours ago, StLouisOct said:

Gosh, the Galleries are relatively inactive compared to the days with what is now The Legacy. The new ones have some great photos. I hope it’s just quiet time for those hardworking contributors and not a system problem.

One thing I'll mention here is that if the image gallery is important to you...  then I would recommend CONTRIBUTING.  A lot of people love to say things are important to them, but very few are willing to put their money where their mouths are.  (I'm not saying this about any specific person, but instead about the community as a whole.)

Be sure to provide reactions to the images and post some images yourself.  Simply counting on 4-5 people to carry the burden so to speak is unfair and unsustainable long term.  

I see this happen not just here, but EVERYWHERE on this site.  When I originally asked for volunteers to help as we gear up for the new review site, there were VERY few people who wanted to help.  Again...  everyone loves reading the reviews, but no one wants to help make them happen.  

<steps off the soap box>

My navigating through the new format has NOT been as easy as before.  I prefer to view and click and write, if I desire, and proceed.  

Navigating and scrolling and clicking have become somewhat of a chore these days, esp. for one who has a new computer and finds using it easily to be problematic as hell, too.  NO written directions accompanied my new desktop iMac, the device that I preferred to purchase.

I've been a PC user all my life, but I opted for a Mac laptop at work, on a co-workers recommendation that it ran some software we were using better than a PC did.  What a nightmare.  After two years of not figuring it out (doing most of my work on my old PC desktop), I traded it it for a PC laptop.  If there's a File Explorer on a Mac, I never found it. Can't teach an old dog new tricks, I guess.  

1 minute ago, poolboy48220 said:

I've been a PC user all my life, but I opted for a Mac laptop at work, on a co-workers recommendation that it ran some software we were using better than a PC did.  What a nightmare.  After two years of not figuring it out (doing most of my work on my old PC desktop), I traded it it for a PC laptop.  If there's a File Explorer on a Mac, I never found it. Can't teach an old dog new tricks, I guess.  

It's called Finder.  

image.png

On 3/29/2022 at 2:33 PM, RadioRob said:

One thing I'll mention here is that if the image gallery is important to you...  then I would recommend CONTRIBUTING.  A lot of people love to say things are important to them, but very few are willing to put their money where their mouths are.  (I'm not saying this about any specific person, but instead about the community as a whole.)

Be sure to provide reactions to the images and post some images yourself.  Simply counting on 4-5 people to carry the burden so to speak is unfair and unsustainable long term.  

I see this happen not just here, but EVERYWHERE on this site.  When I originally asked for volunteers to help as we gear up for the new review site, there were VERY few people who wanted to help.  Again...  everyone loves reading the reviews, but no one wants to help make them happen.  

<steps off the soap box>

I work on several volunteer boards and there are those ( most) who just show up to see what's going on and those much fewer who actually show up to do something useful. 

On 4/4/2022 at 11:57 AM, Axiom2001 said:

My navigating through the new format has NOT been as easy as before.  I prefer to view and click and write, if I desire, and proceed.  

Navigating and scrolling and clicking have become somewhat of a chore these days, esp. for one who has a new computer and finds using it easily to be problematic as hell, too.  NO written directions accompanied my new desktop iMac, the device that I preferred to purchase.

Written directions? HAHA! Too many things nowadays don't come with written directions, though they may be available on a computer, where you have to figure out how to access them.

I'm starting to get used to the navigation.  Here are two things that were throwing me off.

1.  There is a new tab in the header called 'gallery'. Couldn't Legacy Gallery be included in that tab as one of the options?

2. 'Public Gallery' and 'Legacy Gallery' are listed under Media and Entertainment - which is the last place I'd look for them.  I think they should be moved to 'Daddy's Den'.

I still don't need (or like) all those thumbnail previews everywhere.

Just my two cents...

• 3 months later...
On 3/29/2022 at 2:33 PM, RadioRob said:

<steps off the soap box>

I would love to contribute to the galleries, but I am an idiot, and I have several (so-called) friends who will confirm that.

I have only posted a handful of pics in the old Legacy galleries and have had to relearn the process each time; I have no idea of how to do it the new galleries. This is an aspect of the old-dog-new-trick syndrome from which I suffer.

Is there somewhere here (which I haven't found), and if not, can there be made a somewhere, that could, in a step-by-step fashion provide me, and others of like disability, instructions to post pics in the galleries?

I would suggest, if such an effort is undertaken, that it be called PIc Posting for Dummies; it is what it is.

One item such instructions should include would be where and what kind of site should or should not be used as a source for the pic so that it does not (a) disappear after some time or (b) constitute "bandwidth robbery" or some such thing.  Like a parrot, I can say things I don't understand, but unlike the parrot, I would like to know more.

Assistance in this, as well as crossing the street, is, as always, appreciated.