Heckler at the Metropolitan Opera

TruHart1

Difficult to believe but some idiot, apparently considering himself an expert, yelled from the balcony at the Metropolitan Opera at Brenda Rae, the Zerbinetta in Ariadne auf Naxos, that she had no technique:

https://www.joemygod.com/2022/03/metropolitan-opera-to-ban-man-who-heckled-show/

Listening to Madame Rae in the performances broadcast during the Ariadne run, I found her singing technique to be excellent in an intricate and difficult coloratura role!

(Check out the snippet from YouTube at the bottom of the article to decide for yourself!!!)

TruHart1 😎

Edited by TruHart1
Additional information

In a small 99 seat theater I attended in LA, at one point a character posed a rhetorical question to himself and the audience.  A nearby women in the audience offered up the answer to him.  I guess she was trying to be helpful.

Are people losing their grip?

The incident at the Met sounds awfully weird.   I almost wonder if the man had an underlying agenda.  

I recall being at a performance of Cavallaria Roustacana at NY City Opera when a very elegant looking dowager apparently put herself emotionally into the opera, stood and began shouting at the performers.

The disruption terminated peacefully after Olivia Stapp moved to the front of the stage and addressed the disrupter.

1 hour ago, sync said:

I recall being at a performance of Cavallaria Roustacana at NY City Opera when a very elegant looking dowager apparently put herself emotionally into the opera, stood and began shouting at the performers.

The disruption terminated peacefully after Olivia Stapp moved to the front of the stage and addressed the disrupter.

LOL!  Either I was there that night… or  the “dowager” in question had a thing for interrupting performances of Cavalleria Rusticana at the NYCO!

This was not at the opera but the ballet years ago at Lincoln Center.  It was Swan Lake. As the curtain rose and the corps de ballet entered a man near me yelled “shush” at a woman who was talking loudly to her husband. Then the husband yelled back “are you yelling at my wife?”  “Yes” the man said. “Tell her to shut up!” Then they really started yelling at each other. The dancers, trying to keep their composure sort of glanced up trying not to lose their steps. Despite that song in Chorus Line it’s not always beautiful at the ballet. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/28/2022 at 11:33 AM, sync said:

On 3/28/2022 at 1:29 PM, whipped guy said:

LOL!  Either I was there that night… or  the “dowager” in question had a thing for interrupting performances of Cavalleria Rusticana at the NYCO!

(BTW, thanks... I never realized this was a joke until reading your posts.)

Series 5 — Episode 15   The Joker

Emma mentions she’s visiting Sir Cavalier Rousicana and Steed quips, “He sounds like an opera”.

I can quote The Avengers for occasional situations in life 😎

Edited by samhexum
for shits and giggles

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 11:33 AM, sync said:

On 3/28/2022 at 1:29 PM, whipped guy said:

On 8/15/2023 at 7:09 PM, samhexum said:

(BTW, thanks... I never realized this was a joke until reading your posts.)

Series 5 — Episode 15   The Joker

Emma mentions she’s visiting Sir Cavalier Rousicana and Steed quips, “He sounds like an opera”.

I can quote The Avengers for occasional situations in life 😎

I emailed the author of THE AVENGERS Forever coffee table book, who's probably the world's #1 authority on the show, to mention this joke that he, too, had probably missed.  He confirmed that he had, in fact, never known that was a joke, either.