Blood in your semen

StLouisOct
This topic is 822 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'll be discussing this with my urologist, but I'm curious to know if any of you had experience blood in your semen over a period of more than a month. I haven't had a prostate biopsy or anything else that I've read about that may cause it. I'm 64 and my prostate is slightly enlarged, but nothing serious. Frankly, I'm concerned that anal sex may have injured me in some way. Geez, I hope not!

Blood in the semen (unlike blood in the urine or stool), is very rarely a sign of anything dangerous. The prostate is a highly vascular organ and blood in semen is a frequent finding. Yes, after over a month, it's worth checking that there's no infection, although usually that causes other symptoms. If you have NO other symptoms (no problems at all urinating, no discomfort, etc.), you just need to be sure there's no blood in the urine, and that there's no infection. An exam and some basic tests are all that are needed. In particular, blood in the semen (hemospermia) is not a sign of prostate cancer, although autopsy studies on men your age who died for other reasons in the US showed that a small prostate cancer will be found in most men your age. 

9 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

No way. 

Obviously this is anecdotal, but I had bladder cancer twice, the first symptom being blood in my urine each time.  So when a friend and his husband noticed blood in his husband’s semen, he called and asked me if that also happened when I had cancer.  It didn’t, and it turned out his husband had a hernia. All fixed now.

Edited by bashful

Dude, your friend's doctor may have happened to notice a hernia while he was examining your friends genitourinary area, but the hernia had nothing to do with the blood in his sperm. I can't imagine that the doctor told him the two were related. 

10 hours ago, bashful said:

Don’t know what his doctor told them.  It’s just a leap I took when my friend later said all he had was a hernia.  He never mentioned anything else.

I remember from when I was 5 or 6, and my mother read me the book The Phantom Tollbooth, which had a lesson about why one shouldn't jump to conclusions...

phantom tollbooth 2 | Rarest Kind of Best

Kingdom of Wisdom from Phantom Tollbooth! : r/inkarnate

Jumping to Conclusions - Wilderness of Grace

Edited by Unicorn

As a stand-alone “symptom” it can be nothing (on blood thinners?) or very much something. Talk to your doc. Be prepared to disclose details of regular and recent sexual activity to help him rule out serious malady. If you like to get rough fucked, or to play with big toys or hands, tell him, especially if you’ve been a butt player for a long time and the blood is a first, or if you recently had a new stretch or depth expansion. Also if you are into urethral play. He has to weigh these factors, even if embarrassing for you to talk about. Good luck!

2 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

As a stand-alone “symptom” it can be nothing (on blood thinners?) or very much something. Talk to your doc. Be prepared to disclose details of regular and recent sexual activity to help him rule out serious malady. If you like to get rough fucked, or to play with big toys or hands, tell him, especially if you’ve been a butt player for a long time and the blood is a first, or if you recently had a new stretch or depth expansion. Also if you are into urethral play. He has to weigh these factors, even if embarrassing for you to talk about. Good luck!

Let's not get the OP worked up over the long week-end. There really is no "serious malady" in consideration here. I would also have some trust that the OP could have figured it out if he were into "urethral play." I do remember this one nut we had to deal with repeatedly who kept inserting remarkably large objects into his bladder during my years doing urology consultations...

PDF) The Practice of 'Urethral Sounding' Complicated by Retained Magnetic  Beads Within the Bladder and Urethra: Diagnosis and Review of Management

MV5BZmNkMDc4MjQtNjg3YS00NTdmLTllOTctYjRlNzE2NTVlMzc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjAwMzU2MDY@._V1_.jpg

It looks as though you can find this kind of stuff on Amazon! Amazon stock been berry, berry good to me!

8pcs/Set Silicone Urethral Sound Penis Plug Long Urethral Plug Dilators  Stimulator Catheter & Sounds Male Masturbator Sex Toys|Catheters & Sounds|  - AliExpress

30cm Long Silicone Urethral Sounding Bead Rod Sex Toys For Men Urethral  Sound Dilators Masturbator Urethra Penis Insert Plug|Catheters & Sounds| -  AliExpress

When I used to volunteer on the AIDS Rides the guys would come into
the medical tent all night long freaking out over blood in their semen. 

It was a harmless side effect of their prostate getting banged by their 
bike seat for over 100 miles that day, but we immediately knew 2 things 
when they came in…..

They hadn’t trained properly for the ride.
(or else the would have already seen it after their 100 mile training rides). 

And…

They were fucking their tent mate. 

Another possibility: kidney stones.

Please consult your urologist.

(Subsequent clarification: I agree with later posters. I misread the topic, as blood in my urine lead to a kidney stone diagnosis, and then two surgical procedures.) 

Edited by Topseed

16 minutes ago, Topseed said:

Another possibility: kidney stones.

Please consult your urologist. 

If it was kidney stones, blood would be present in his urine. Not sure about semen. I suffered from kidney stones for about 20 years and that was the test to distinguish it from an appendix attack, which feels the same as a kidney stones attack. The test for appendix is a blood test.

4 hours ago, Luv2play said:

...The test for appendix is a blood test.

However did you come up with that idea? The diagnosis is usually arrived by from the history and physical (with urinalysis and blood tests to rule out other conditions, such as kidney stones), but once one has the diagnosis in mind, the CT is the diagnostic test. Blood tests are of minimal help. When I started practicing, CT's weren't reliable; when we had to go by history and exam alone we were right about 95% of the time (5% of the time unnecessary surgery--a condition called mesenteric adenitis has very similar findings). 

Avoid any "bad idea bears" and try not to get into any trouble! | Little  shop of horrors, Funny cards, The music man

Suggestion: all NON-PHYSICIANS on this website stop giving their medical opinions/experience here. Your information can be misleading & unhelpful. And typically wrong. 

Do we go to our plumbers for accounting advice? 

Do we go to our barber for legal advice?

It took my 8 (yes, eight) long, arduous years for me to to learn my craft (I'm a physician) from medical school to residency.  Unless you have gone thru such a journey your (inaccurate) advice is potentially very DANGEROUS.   Yes, for real.

Bad advice can lead someone astray, to their peril. One of the first things one learns in medical school is "First, do no harm".   

Possibly one of the most challenging issues I must navigate as a physician is trying to fix the erroneous, distracting, & sometimes bizarre ideas my patients have heard "from a friend" or "read online". When I fail to help my patient successfully navigate this problem,  they get hurt.

I know you mean well. But it's not helpful. 

Thank you Unicorn for answering the questions/comments above. Your medical opinions were spot on.

I have given thumbs-up on his answers so you can see his & my (two physicians) concordance.

Much love to all,

Josh 

4 hours ago, josh282282 said:

Suggestion: all NON-PHYSICIANS on this website stop giving their medical opinions/experience here. Your information can be misleading & unhelpful. And typically wrong. 

Do we go to our plumbers for accounting advice? 

Do we go to our barber for legal advice?

It took my 8 (yes, eight) long, arduous years for me to to learn my craft (I'm a physician) from medical school to residency.  Unless you have gone thru such a journey your (inaccurate) advice is potentially very DANGEROUS.   Yes, for real.

Bad advice can lead someone astray, to their peril. One of the first things one learns in medical school is "First, do no harm".   

Possibly one of the most challenging issues I must navigate as a physician is trying to fix the erroneous, distracting, & sometimes bizarre ideas my patients have heard "from a friend" or "read online". When I fail to help my patient successfully navigate this problem,  they get hurt.

I know you mean well. But it's not helpful. 

Thank you Unicorn for answering the questions/comments above. Your medical opinions were spot on.

I have given thumbs-up on his answers so you can see his & my (two physicians) concordance.

Much love to all,

Josh 

So… you mean,  MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell calling the COVID-19 vaccine "mark of the beast stuff" and promoting the Oleandrin, (a toxic cardiac glycoside found in the poisonous plant, oleander), as a cure for covid isn’t a good medical advice~? 
 (Sarcasm alert… also, (being serious now), never believe anything the pillow guy says or tries to make you buy~).

Edited by Tygerscent

On 12/30/2021 at 4:46 AM, StLouisOct said:

I'll be discussing this with my urologist, but I'm curious to know if any of you had experience blood in your semen over a period of more than a month. I haven't had a prostate biopsy or anything else that I've read about that may cause it. I'm 64 and my prostate is slightly enlarged, but nothing serious. Frankly, I'm concerned that anal sex may have injured me in some way. Geez, I hope not!

if it's slightly enlarged, it could be BPH, benign prostate hyperplasia. i have that too and it's nothign to really worry about. however, men over 40 are recommended to get a biopsy if they show symptoms of blood in their urine/semen. it could also just be a UTI, but then again, it's best to get your biopsy done to avoid any wrong diagnosis.

5 hours ago, gkim1986 said:

if it's slightly enlarged, it could be BPH, benign prostate hyperplasia. i have that too and it's nothign to really worry about. however, men over 40 are recommended to get a biopsy if they show symptoms of blood in their urine/semen. it could also just be a UTI, but then again, it's best to get your biopsy done to avoid any wrong diagnosis.

I'm not sure where you got that recommendation. Getting an exam (digital rectal) and a PSA are reasonable, although there is no study to suggest that hematospermia is more common for men with prostate cancer. Getting a prostate biopsy in the absence of evidence of cancer from an exam and PSA (either PSA over 10, or free PSA low with PSA from 4 to 10) can be highly dangerous. Asymptomatic and innocuous prostate cancers are extremely prevalent in men in their mid 60s, regardless of their semen, and such a blind hunt is much more likely to lead to permanent complications than it is to find something useful. I remember seeing an old study that showed that percentage likelihood of a prostate cancer being found on autopsy of a man dying for other reasons was roughly equal to the man's age, in the US. I found a more recent study which showed results which were slightly lower, but still highly prevalent:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4485977/

nihms-651857-f0001

This is a reasonable workup:

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/457632-workup

"Approach Considerations
In younger men with nonpersistent hematospermia, only a digital rectal examination (DRE), along with a check of vital signs, is required as part of a careful physical examination. In older men (>50 y) with nonpersistent hematospermia without concomitant hematuria upon urinalysis, a basic evaluation consists of a DRE and a prostate-specific antigen measurement. Persistent hematospermia (>2 months without defined etiology) warrants further workup, as described below.

Urinalysis and culture
Urinalysis and culture may prove helpful because urogenital infections may be associated with hematospermia; because this test is of low cost and a positive result suggests an etiology, urine culture is recommended in all patients who present with hematospermia."

On 12/30/2021 at 3:23 PM, Unicorn said:

Let's not get the OP worked up over the long week-end. There really is no "serious malady" in consideration here. I would also have some trust that the OP could have figured it out if he were into "urethral play." I do remember this one nut we had to deal with repeatedly who kept inserting remarkably large objects into his bladder during my years doing urology consultations...

PDF) The Practice of 'Urethral Sounding' Complicated by Retained Magnetic  Beads Within the Bladder and Urethra: Diagnosis and Review of Management

MV5BZmNkMDc4MjQtNjg3YS00NTdmLTllOTctYjRlNzE2NTVlMzc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjAwMzU2MDY@._V1_.jpg

It looks as though you can find this kind of stuff on Amazon! Amazon stock been berry, berry good to me!

8pcs/Set Silicone Urethral Sound Penis Plug Long Urethral Plug Dilators  Stimulator Catheter & Sounds Male Masturbator Sex Toys|Catheters & Sounds|  - AliExpress

30cm Long Silicone Urethral Sounding Bead Rod Sex Toys For Men Urethral  Sound Dilators Masturbator Urethra Penis Insert Plug|Catheters & Sounds| -  AliExpress

My husband has had to give up most butt play.  He's been hospitalized twice for UTIs and had UTI's twice more for which he had to receive IV antibiotics.  We have gotten very good at doing home infusions.  Surprisingly, he was never seen by a uro through all of this until the last time.   I kept telling him he needed to be under the care of a uro, and finally, the last time somebody finally thought to do a referral to a uro.  The uro said no more butt play.

On 12/31/2021 at 3:47 AM, gkim1986 said:

but then again, it's best to get your biopsy done to avoid any wrong diagnosis.

Happy New Year my brothers.

I'm not gonna address gkim1986 directly but take this to everyone on the forum cuz I strongly suspect he isn't the only one making this horrible and potentially dangerous error.

It is NOT "best" to get a prostate "biospsy" done to "avoid any wrong diagnosis".   No way is it time to make this medical recommendation.  WAY too soon. And its the wrong person giving the medical recommendation.  gkim1986 is NOT a urologist. The OP needs to see a urologist before any recommendations are made. gkim1986 is practicing Medicine without a license and doing it very poorly and dangerously. 

As Unicorn well said in his post, a prostate biopsy is typically NOT the standard of care for hematospermia (blood in your cum) except in uncommon situations.

Why is this important? 

Because prostate biopsies are NOT easy, benign procedures.

There are significant risks associated with this procedure, so they shouldn't be taken lightly. 

Because of this,  prostate biopsies should not be recommended by a non-urologist.

Oh, wait, you dont know the risks of prostate biopsies?  Of course not. Why would you. You are not a physician. 

Prostate biopsies can cause (there is more to the list but this is a start):

1) Rectal bleeding.  How does blood seeping out of your underware and soiling your bed sound to you?

2) Blood in the urine.  Pretty.

3) Urinary tract infections (UTIs).  Painful & dangerous. 

4) The above UTIs can spread to the bloodstream and the guy can go into sepsis.  Fuck.

5) Difficulty urinating, meaning the guy has to push and push as he stands there to get his urinary stream going.  Or he now gets up many times all night long to urinate.  Sounds like a party. 

Yah, lots of fun. 

Yeah, its NOT a benign procedure.  It has its risk. It has its benefits.  

Am I saying the OP should NOT get the procedure?  NO! I am NOT!

Am I saying the OP SHOULD get the prostate biopsy? NO, I AM NOT!

I am not his urologist and that should be discussed between the OP and his urologist, not by gkim1986!

Yet, prostate biopsies are an important and integral procedure in proper urologic care. Notice the word "proper". Please note: gkim1986 is not trained to give proper medical advice. 

Folks, giving medical advice is dangerous stuff, even from those who are trained to do so.  Advice can go amiss (oh, what I have seen in my professional career...).  Just talk to my patients who had prostate biopsies and have had the difficulties listed above (which I have seen).  It isn't pretty. I'm not saying prostate biopsies are bad and should not be done. I'm just saying only urologists should be making recommendations.  A urologist goes through 4 years of medical school and roughly 5 more years of surgical training in residency (thats 9 years if you are counting) to be able to decide who should and who should not get a prostate biopsy.    Yet, sometimes prostate biopsies are not only important but critical.

Do I think that gkim1986 is trying to HARM the OP? Nope.

I just suspect he doesn't realize that what he is doing is dangerous.

How many times do patients go to their doctor (like a Urologist in this situation) and DEMAND a certain procedure because he read it online that its "best to get your biopsy done to avoid any wrong diagnosis" (quote from gkim1986).  Yet, that procedure is NOT indicated.  Not only that, but its a potentially dangerous procedure??  You think this doesn't happen frequently? It does. All the time.  And bad things happen.  And sometimes its cause a patient heard something from a "friend" who gave him advice and now the patient is in the physicians exam room with bizarre, inaccurate and potentially harmful information.

YOU KNOW WHAT?

I think a lot of people reading my post do the same exact thing as gkim1986 does inadvertently: give medical advice when the person (you) has NO training or medical experience to give such medical advice.  Yes, I genuinely think this because every day I hear from my patients "I heard from my friend...." and 80% of the time is wrong, weird advice and I gotta fix the inaccurate and harmful ideas my patient has.  

WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING?  PLEASE READ THIS.

Ok, I know you care about your family, friends, loved ones, co-workers etc.  They start talking to you about a medical problem they have. And you care about them.  You may even love them. You want to help them.  Of course you do. INSTEAD of giving medical advice AND POTENTIALLY HARMING YOUR LOVED ONE consider the below suggestions:

Your loved one: "Oh, my god.  I'm having blood in my cum.  WTF?"

You:  "That sounds awfully scary.  Have you discussed this with your PCP?"

OR

Your loved one: "...um... no,  I dont have a PCP."

You:  "You know, I have a PCP who I really like and trust.  Why dont I give you his/her number and you can call him/her to make an appt to discuss this?"

OR 

Your loved one: "No, but I'm so scared.  My uncle died of cancer a couple of years ago and it was horrible.  I'm just so scared to even make the call."

You:  "Yes, I understand. I'm sorry you lost your uncle from cancer. This has gotta be so unnerving to you bringing back terrible memories. Why don't you and I make the call to your doctor together, and I will even go with you to your doctors appointment for moral support?  You got this, man.  I'm right here with you."

The above scenarios, and variations of the theme, are the ONLY things you should be recommending to your loved ones.  Really, you can KILL someone with the wrong medical advice.  But these are your loved ones.  They deserve the BEST from you. And the best means NOT giving medical advice. 

STOP giving medical advice.

Instead, give love and encouragement. 

Give blow jobs, too if its consensual. Cuz BJs are awesome.

Warmest regards to everyone on this board.

May 2022 be a prosperous, safe and healthy year

Josh

I would add to the list of complications of a prostate biopsy (and come with a sanitary pad if you have it done, because blood is likely to come out of your penis/urethra after or during the procedure) the fact that a prostate cancer which would never have affected the OP in his lifetime will be discovered, and lead to unnecessary ablative procedures for the prostate. Prostate surgery or radiation always carries side-effects: at a minimum loss of ejaculate, but also very good chance at loss of erections, orgasm, or ability to hold your urine (require pads or diapers). I would go even further to say that if the first urologist recommends a biopsy without a specific reason (he feels a nodule, or your PSA #'s are out of whack, as I previously described them), get a second opinion.