Kate Capshaw's husband's West Side Story

samhexum
This topic is 858 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• samhexum changed the title to Kate Capshaw's husband's West Side Story

97% Fresh in Rotten Tomatoes !  Rave reviews all around. Other movies can only look at that and weep. Can’t wait to see it. I’ll be spending a lot of my Christmas money in the theater this December.

Edited by tchm

14 minutes ago, jeezifonly said:

Curious to know why you changed the title of this thread.

I didn't change it.  That was the original title.  I considered going with Amy Irving's ex-husband's West Side Story or Jessica Capshaw's step-father's West Side Story but decided to go with the one above instead.

14 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

Curious to know why you changed the title of this thread. I’m going to the theater for this one. 

31 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

@samhexum  the note below your OP indicates you changed the title of this post......what was the original title?......thanks.....

It's funny...  For some reason, since the latest site update, I can't post to this site with Google Chrome, which is my usual browser.  One of the tech guys/administrators explained to me that it's because the site sees my attempts to post as malware, or something like that, and the site's firewall blocks the attempt.  So when I want to post, I have to use Firefox.  Because of that, I signed out of the site on Chrome so when I do come here with Chrome, it's as a visitor; I can see and access everything, I just can't reply to anything.

Obviously, I'm here on Firefox now, and all I see is a notation under the link to the article that I edited the post, so when @jeezifonly asked me about changing the title, I thought I'd only just gone back and bolded the link. 

I just looked with Chrome and I can see the notation @azdr0710 referred to (between my original post and the post by @tchm).  I think it's weird that I can see that as a visitor, but not when I'm signed in, but whatever...

So knowing now that I DID edit the title, it was simply changing 'hubby' to 'husband'.  It was always Kate Capshaw's...  I often use 'hubby' instead of 'husband', but it's rather informal, and I guess I looked at it and decided Ms. Capshaw deserved something classier and less informal.

Mystery solved!

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

Why not just say Spielberg without being so cute?

Because calling anything "So and So's Something or Other" always sounds pretentious to me and I find the practice annoying. So it's kind of a rebellion on my part, showing that you can call a film anything you want, and it's still the same film.

And trust me, it's impossible for me to do anything without being so cute.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly… as much as I respect and love Spielberg, why is this adaptation not being made by Puerto Ricans telling the story in their own way from their own heart~
 I feel like a lot of stereotypes/misnomers regarding who Puerto Ricans are were perpetuated and from the POV of non Latinos/Puerto Ricans~ 

It might be an amazing production but, something important is lost in the translation~ 

It’s just a thought I have while watching this movie~  
 It’s a good movie: It’s Spielberg, it’s Bernstein and Sondheim and it is dedicated to Stevens father, (all who I love and admire/respect): fine but, did it need to told by Steven or someone else~?

Edited by Tygerscent

1 hour ago, Tygerscent said:

Honestly… as much as I respect and love Spielberg, why is this adaptation not being made by Puerto Ricans telling the story in their own way from their own heart~
 I feel like a lot of stereotypes/misnomers regarding who Puerto Ricans are were perpetuated and from the POV of non Latinos/Puerto Ricans~ 

It might be an amazing production but, something important is lost in the translation~ 

It’s just a thought I have while watching this movie~  
 It’s a good movie: It’s Spielberg, it’s Bernstein and Sondheim and it is dedicated to Stevens father, (all who I love and admire/respect): fine but, did it need to told by Steven or someone else~?

This level of 'woke' can become quite a slippery slope.

Should we also disallow one minority group from commercially cooking the indigenous food of another?

Should straight actors no longer attempt to play gay roles?

When you open that box, you open the entire box.  It's a bit of a Pandora's Box.

Personally, I felt Spielberg and Kushner were respectful in keeping the Spanish un-subtitled and natural to the flow of the story.  It was a welcome change from the original film.  They made several of these thoughtful changes in the remake, to the betterment of the story.  Tony Kushner fleshed out a lot of cultural backstory from secondary characters that were originally, more or less, throwaway.

Not shockingly, Jon Chu took the same ridiculous criticisms for his wonderful job on In The Heights