Favorite song in a language you don't understand

BSR

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A Ukrainian band is considered a favorite to win the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest, which has been televised across the continent annually since 1956 and which was won by ABBA with Waterloo in 1974, launching the band's ascent into the greatest in music history.

Oleh Psiuk, 27, the rapping frontman of the band, insists his song will win the competition on the merits, not because of an outpouring of support for his war-torn homeland.

The contest is decided both by a panel of music industry experts and viewers at home.

“Now we have first place with the bookmakers, but before the beginning of the war we were fifth. It turns out people really like our song, so huge gratitude to everybody who have paid attention to Ukrainian music,” Psiuk said.

Stefania,” a love song to Psiuk’s mother that features elements of traditional music and rap, was written before the war began, but has taken on a new meaning as fans equate the lyrics with the Ukrainian motherland, the artist told the paper.

It features stanzas like “I’ll always find my way home even if all roads are destroyed,” and “Mother sing me the lullaby, I want to hear your dear word.”

“Our song is loved by Europeans not only because of the war. The more people pay attention to Ukraine, the more they hear about the song, so this song is loved by an ever-wider audience,” he said.

Members of Kalush Orchestra needed a special governmental waiver to leave Ukraine to compete in the contest’s final round next week in Turin, Italy. All able bodied men under the age of 60 are required to remain in Ukraine and take up arms against the Russians.

Winning the contest would “really increase the morale of the country,” Psiuk told the newspaper.

Expert observers of the competition told the paper that such a “morale” boost seemed likely.

“They will win the public vote by a landslide,” said Paul Jordan, who wrote a Ph.D. thesis on the Eurovision Song Contest and later worked for the organization. “The [expert] jury vote will be different and difficult to predict.”

Ukraine has won Eurovision twice since its first appearance in the contest, which was won by ABBA with Waterloo in 1974, launching the band's ascent into the greatest in music history, 19 years ago.

Russia was banned from participating in this year’s event.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

21 hours ago, samhexum said:

A Ukrainian band is considered a favorite to win the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest, which has been televised across the continent annually since 1956 and which was won by ABBA with Waterloo in 1974, launching the band's ascent into the greatest in music history.

Oleh Psiuk, 27, the rapping frontman of the band, insists his song will win the competition on the merits, not because of an outpouring of support for his war-torn homeland.

The contest is decided both by a panel of music industry experts and viewers at home.

“Now we have first place with the bookmakers, but before the beginning of the war we were fifth. It turns out people really like our song, so huge gratitude to everybody who have paid attention to Ukrainian music,” Psiuk said.

Stefania,” a love song to Psiuk’s mother that features elements of traditional music and rap, was written before the war began, but has taken on a new meaning as fans equate the lyrics with the Ukrainian motherland, the artist told the paper.

It features stanzas like “I’ll always find my way home even if all roads are destroyed,” and “Mother sing me the lullaby, I want to hear your dear word.”

“Our song is loved by Europeans not only because of the war. The more people pay attention to Ukraine, the more they hear about the song, so this song is loved by an ever-wider audience,” he said.

Members of Kalush Orchestra needed a special governmental waiver to leave Ukraine to compete in the contest’s final round next week in Turin, Italy. All able bodied men under the age of 60 are required to remain in Ukraine and take up arms against the Russians.

Winning the contest would “really increase the morale of the country,” Psiuk told the newspaper.

Expert observers of the competition told the paper that such a “morale” boost seemed likely.

“They will win the public vote by a landslide,” said Paul Jordan, who wrote a Ph.D. thesis on the Eurovision Song Contest and later worked for the organization. “The [expert] jury vote will be different and difficult to predict.”

Ukraine has won Eurovision twice since its first appearance in the contest, which was won by ABBA with Waterloo in 1974, launching the band's ascent into the greatest in music history, 19 years ago.

Russia was banned from participating in this year’s event.

Thanks for posting.  I really like the song on its own merits, unrelated to the war in Ukraine.  I'm glad they posted English subtitles because I find it hard to connect with a song without understanding the lyrics.  Best of luck to these guys.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:36 AM, mike carey said:

'Australia votes 12 points to Ukraine.'

I heard a snippet of the song on the BBC this afternoon and quite liked it. I agree that Ukraine is likely to sweep the popular vote. (And yes, Australia does get to vote, we have become a regular non-EBU competitor in Eurovision.)

On 5/9/2022 at 7:28 AM, BSR said:

Thanks for posting.  I really like the song on its own merits, unrelated to the war in Ukraine.  I'm glad they posted English subtitles because I find it hard to connect with a song without understanding the lyrics.  Best of luck to these guys.

They won.

The Born Loser on May 12, 2022

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

7 minutes ago, BSR said:

Congratulations to Kalush Orchestra!  They won Eurovision 2022!  Ukraine was the sentimental favorite for obvious reasons,  but I do like the song.

I'm a little surprised (not in a bad way) that the story on it that you found was from the ABC here. And yes, it has featured on the news here all day, preceded by a spoiler alert for people who may want to watch it on the other public network. (From the short grabs of it, I quite like the Australian entry too.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 9:24 AM, samhexum said:

On 5/8/2022 at 9:36 AM, mike carey said:

'Australia votes 12 points to Ukraine.'

I heard a snippet of the song on the BBC this afternoon and quite liked it.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:28 AM, BSR said:

Thanks for posting.  I really like the song on its own merits, unrelated to the war in Ukraine. 

The Ukrainian band which took home the top prize at the Eurovision Song Contest has sold its trophy for $900,000 in order to buy drones to help their native country fight off the Russian invasion.

(I know this is political, but posted it here for continuity.)

46 minutes ago, samhexum said:

The Ukrainian band which took home the top prize at the Eurovision Song Contest has sold its trophy for $900,000 in order to buy drones to help their native country fight off the Russian invasion.

(I know this is political, but posted it here for continuity.)

it is not political... and thanks for sharing...

the question of the day also is where will Eurovision 2023 take place:

https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/2023/event

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Girl from Ipanema was translated into English and became a huge hit in America so long ago that it almost shouldn't be in this category.  Nonetheless, since I don't understand Portuguese, it technically qualifies.  I love this version performed at the Rio Olympics opening ceremony, sung by the son of the songwriter, with Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen playing the role of the girl from Ipanema.  The song is great in English, but the sultry lyrics sound even better in Portuguese.

Edited by BSR
Oops, omitted a word

• 1 month later...