Rio or Sao Paulo

Caliboy95

That's a big if. Given the vaccination rate there and considering that I am now triple vaccinated, I might give it a shot. The private hospitals are better than the public ones, but if I am not protected with three vaccines, then there is no hope.

I just don't want to go when it is hot or rainy.

7 hours ago, Lucky said:

That's a big if. Given the vaccination rate there and considering that I am now triple vaccinated, I might give it a shot. The private hospitals are better than the public ones, but if I am not protected with three vaccines, then there is no hope.

I just don't want to go when it is hot or rainy.

I'm with you. Although I've never been to Brazil, I went to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, twice this year.  I was comforted with the fact that I had already cought and recovered from the Wuhan virus, as this was before any vaccine was developed.

But my mind was at ease knowing I already cought and recovered from it in the US instead of while I was in a foreign country

53 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Only Fox News is still inept enough to call it the 'Wuhan' virus.

It's COVID. 

But you knew what I was talking about, as will generations in the future.   This will help differentiate this SARS-CoV-2 pandemic from a possible future pandemic with the same virus originating from a different location.

The populous still refers to the Spanish Flu, not calling it the H1NQ Influenza A pandemic.  And everyone still calls it the Black Death, not the Yersinia pestis '47

Let scientists classify the diseases in Latin and with numbers.  Let the population refer to it by where it started.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

3 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Let scientists classify the diseases in Latin and with numbers.  Let the population refer to it by where it started.

I’m thinking that you might sing a different tune if a virus happens to originate from (or appears to have originated from) Las Vegas and completely devastates the local economy. Or, if HIV was known as the “gay virus” or the “men-who-have-sex-with-men virus.”

4 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

But you knew what I was talking about, as will generations in the future.   This will help differentiate this SARS-CoV-2 pandemic from a possible future pandemic with the same virus originating from a different location.

The populous still refers to the Spanish Flu, not calling it the H1NQ Influenza A pandemic.  And everyone still calls it the Black Death, not the Yersinia pestis '47

I often look forward to a flute of nicely chilled Yersinia Pestis '47 at the end of a long day.  It's not just for celebrations.

20 minutes ago, corndog said:

I’m thinking that you might sing a different tune if a virus happens to originate from (or appears to have originated from) Las Vegas and completely devastates the local economy. Or, if HIV was known as the “gay virus” or the “men-who-have-sex-with-men virus.”

I guess we should change the name of the 2015 Disneyland Measles Outbreak to something that doesn't inform the general public about its origins, lest tourists become aware.

Mickey Mus musculus Morbillivirus outbreak might do nicely

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

On 10/1/2021 at 2:43 AM, Caliboy95 said:

I think I’ll go to Rio for sure. I’m thinking I’m staying in a resort. I think I’ll be more comfortable in a resort than in an Airbnb.

Despite its beauty and massive attractive for tourists, Rio is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. We North Americans are frequent targets so, if you are inexperienced or first-timer, it's VERY important to stick to safe touristic areas, never carry valuables with you, and always stay in company of a trustworthy local when outside the hotel.

spacer.png

On 10/2/2021 at 7:23 AM, MscleLovr said:

My two cents: definitely stay in Ipanema or Leblon for the beach, restaurants and some shopping.

If you want more serious retail therapy, head for Barra Shopping in Barra da Tijuca (upmarket suburb to the West), about 20-30 minute taxi ride from Leblon.

I’d avoid Copacabana, especially at night and if you are on your own. 

Best advice on this thread @MscleLovr. Ipanema, Leblon, and Barra de Tijuca are the places to be in.

On 10/4/2021 at 12:22 AM, tassojunior said:

Especially if American, I wouldn't try any "ok, borderline good" areas. I have friends who've been robbed every single business trip there downtown.  And Copacabana north of the Marriott is bad.

Even Ipanema can be tricky, even if you are in a group. I knew of a group of Australians and Canadians that were chilling at the beach and were assaulted by a gang of kids armed with knives. When the kids realized these tourists didn't have much to be robbed, they stabbed the males of the group in their arms so they wouldn't be able to catch them when the kids started to run. They were robbing many other people hanging out at the beach. The tourists survived their wounds but it was a lesson learned for them.

11 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

This will help differentiate this SARS-CoV-2 pandemic from a possible future pandemic with the same virus originating from a different location.

We are already in the throes of 'a ... pandemic with the same virus originating from a different location' and have been through others, so it hasn't been the Wuhan virus for some time. The Delta variant, previously known as the Indian variant, is still SARS-CoV-2.

• 1 month later...

If one avoids Copacabana, the most popular sauna (Pointe 202) will be missed.

There was a time when sauna 117 was the most popular but for the past few years, the Copacabana sauna, Pointe 202 is the most popular. 

You might want to check on the current popularity status of Pointe 202 when you are closer to your trip date.   

Personally, I do not care for Pointe 202 but that is where the garotos go more so than formerly 117.

5 minutes ago, coriolis888 said:

If one avoids Copacabana, the most popular sauna (Pointe 202) will be missed.

There was a time when sauna 117 was the most popular but for the past few years, the Copacabana sauna, Pointe 202 is the most popular. 

You might want to check on the current popularity status of Pointe 202 when you are closer to your trip date.   

Personally, I do not care for Pointe 202 but that is where the garotos go more so than formerly 117.

ha, thanks very much for pulling this thread back on topic!!

I was last in RJ in November, 2019, and found 117 to be just as good as, or better than, 202......but 202 can be better on - other - nights!.......both should be visited if making a trip to RJ!.......

the "other" forum has a lot more discussion on Brazil.....may need to register (free and anonymous)

https://www.gayguides.com/forums/forum/55-latin-america-men-and-destinations-open-forum/

• 6 months later...
On 10/15/2021 at 12:50 AM, lonely_john said:

Despite its beauty and massive attractive for tourists, Rio is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. We North Americans are frequent targets so, if you are inexperienced or first-timer, it's VERY important to stick to safe touristic areas, never carry valuables with you, and always stay in company of a trustworthy local when outside the hotel.

spacer.png

Cities 11-18 seem to have been added to that list in spite of not meeting the murder rate criterion, and US cities which do meet it have been left off. 

The city of Rio de Janeiro has roughly the same murder rate as Chicago, well below that of some US cities like New Orleans and Detroit. (The state of RJ is significantly lower still).

Sao Paulo's murder rate in turn is much lower, around that of LA and far lower than many US cities. The state of Sao Paulo has roughly the same murder rate as the United States as a whole.

Frankly that chart smacks of ridiculous xenophobia.  I wonder if those who created it even own passports.

Yes, you need to take care. Others have given advice on that. Walking aimlessly around Copacabana at 3am wearing a Rolex is asking for trouble. Walking purposefully in little more than shorts and Havaianas is going to be fine.

Use common sense. Watch how others behave. Err on the side of caution when you're someplace new. But this is not any reason to avoid going to either Rio or Sao Paulo.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:50 AM, lonely_john said:

if you are inexperienced or first-timer, it's VERY important to stick to safe touristic areas, never carry valuables with you, and always stay in company of a trustworthy local when outside the hotel.

One of those three things should be sufficient, frankly. Any one. 

I agree that breaking all three rules at once would be unwise when you're new to Rio,

Edited by GuyFromIpanema
clarity

On 9/30/2021 at 12:40 AM, Caliboy95 said:

Hello. I’m thinking of a travel to either of these cities in January or February 2022. I this is my first time traveling to Brazil so I’ll like some inside in which city is more gay friendly and I’d have a better time in. What are some hotel recommendations and places to see and do. 

Too late for your trip but as general advice: if it's your first time and your trip is longer that about a week (long enough to include two weekends, say), visit both. Flights between the cities are short, frequent, and extremely easy if you use the smaller central airports (CGH <-> SDU). You will enjoy the contrast between them.

Edited by GuyFromIpanema
typo

The "go, just be careful" advice  I gave for Rio applies to many places, but is not absolutely universal.

A rather ambitious friend was planning a trip to Honduras around ten years ago

and I sought the advice of another friend who had actually contributed to travel guides to much of Latin American (and is himself Colombian).

His advice was not to go.

"Do you mean that, or do you mean it's ok to go if you avoid certain places and are very careful?" I asked.

His expert advice was 

"No. Really do NOT go. Even people who are from Honduras and have relatives there mostly don't go. Do not go, period". (this was around 2011)

So places can get too dangerous to visit. But Rio is not such a place, nor was it at any point in recent memory.

On 6/20/2022 at 6:27 AM, GuyFromIpanema said:

Cities 11-18 seem to have been added to that list in spite of not meeting the murder rate criterion, and US cities which do meet it have been left off. 

The city of Rio de Janeiro has roughly the same murder rate as Chicago, well below that of some US cities like New Orleans and Detroit. (The state of RJ is significantly lower still).

Sao Paulo's murder rate in turn is much lower, around that of LA and far lower than many US cities. The state of Sao Paulo has roughly the same murder rate as the United States as a whole.

Frankly that chart smacks of ridiculous xenophobia.  I wonder if those who created it even own passports.

Yes, you need to take care. Others have given advice on that. Walking aimlessly around Copacabana at 3am wearing a Rolex is asking for trouble. Walking purposefully in little more than shorts and Havaianas is going to be fine.

Use common sense. Watch how others behave. Err on the side of caution when you're someplace new. But this is not any reason to avoid going to either Rio or Sao Paulo.

Holy fuck, I want to bronze this statement like infant shoes.