New Version of Coke Zero Sugar

Lucky
This topic is 946 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Remember when Coca-Cola changed to New Coke? It was probably the biggest marketing disaster of our era. Nobody liked New Coke, so old Coke was brought back as Classic Coke. Eventually New Coke died a very quiet death.

Well, Coca-Cola is at it again. It may not be the disaster reborn, but New Coke Zero Sugar has a decidedly New Coke feel about it. I tried it today, making sure it was ice cold. It's not horrible, but it is a mellower version of Old Coke Zero Sugar.

cokezero211.jpeg?resize=600,600&ssl=1

One of the nice things, for me, of drinking Coke is the aftertaste. New Coke killed it, and Coke Zero Sugar does too. If you like that, you will probably agree with me that the new version does Coca-Cola no favors. There's no pleasant bite left in your mouth when you drink New Coke Zero Sugar.

Other opinions:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/coke-zero-review/

https://www.complaintsboard.com/coca-cola-new-coke-zero-sugar-c911703

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

Remember when Coca-Cola changed to New Coke? It was probably the biggest marketing disaster of our era. Nobody liked New Coke, so old Coke was brought back as Classic Coke. Eventually New Coke died a very quiet death.

Well, Coca-Cola is at it again. It may not be the disaster reborn, but New Coke Zero Sugar has a decidedly New Coke feel about it. I tried it today, making sure it was ice cold. It's not horrible, but it is a mellower version of Old Coke Zero Sugar.

cokezero211.jpeg?resize=600,600&ssl=1

One of the nice things, for me, of drinking Coke is the aftertaste. New Coke killed it, and Coke Zero Sugar does too. If you like that, you will probably agree with me that the new version does Coca-Cola no favors. There's no pleasant bite left in your mouth when you drink New Coke Zero Sugar.

Other opinions:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/coke-zero-review/

https://www.complaintsboard.com/coca-cola-new-coke-zero-sugar-c911703

Maybe it's time for you to try Pepsi. No bitter after taste.

does this mean Coke Zero and Diet Coke are being eliminated?.....or are there now going to be three (or more) diet Coke products??

I think ??? blind taste tests generally favor Pepsi over Coke, all else being equal......ten people = ten opinions, of course......

I'd like to witness the uproar if the major fast-food chains moved from Coke to Pepsi.......

will look for and try this new Coke product.....yes, ice cold is important.....

drifting off-topic a bit, I don't think the South/Atlanta is as loyal to Coke as it used to be......

[Moderator's note:  link to political content has been removed to allow this thread to remain in the Lounge.]

7 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

does this mean Coke Zero and Diet Coke are being eliminated?.....or are there now going to be three (or more) diet Coke products??

I think ??? blind taste tests generally favor Pepsi over Coke, all else being equal......ten people = ten opinions, of course......

I'd like to witness the uproar if the major fast-food chains moved from Coke to Pepsi.......

will look for and try this new Coke product.....yes, ice cold is important.....

drifting off-topic a bit, I don't think the South/Atlanta is as loyal to Coke as it used to be......

[Moderator's note:  link to political content has been removed to allow this thread to remain in the Lounge.]

Looks like Coke Zero is being reformulated, so the old one will be discontinued. I doubt anything will happen to Diet Coke, which is a separate product. 

As for ice cold, there’s nothing like a Coke with a bunch of crushed ice in it  

I've never liked Pepsi (regular or diet) precisely because it doesn't have that edge/bitterness/whatever that Coke has.  Coke is sweet but it has that bite that makes it more enjoyable.  Fortunately Safeway's house brand cola has a taste profile more like Coke, so I can buy their version to save money.  If Coca Cola has reformulated Coke Zero to taste more like Pepsi that is, indeed, unfortunate.  Truth be told that I seldom drink colas any more anyway since it's harder to find caffeine free versions and I'm trying to limit my caffeine. 

On 9/9/2021 at 2:27 PM, BnaC said:

I’m with @Pensant...I gave up diet drinks a decade ago and haven’t had a single one since....but I’ll have to look up what Topo Chico is 🤪

Topo Chico is a brand of sparkling water that originates from a spring in Mexico. At first, I couldn't figure out why folks were ga-go over it. Then I tried it and liked it better than Perrier and Pellegrino. The Mountain Valley Spring sparkling water is also very good. 

Regarding Coke Zero, I tried the new formula yesterday. It wasn't bad. The old formula tasted more like a real Coke, but the new one still tastes better than Diet Coke. 

On 9/8/2021 at 7:05 PM, azdr0710 said:

They did. Remember the “Pepsi challenge” tv commercials? I believe this has been studied for some time. Pepsi did defeat coke in blind “sipping tests” which led to the reformulation of coke to be a Pepsi clone 30 odd years ago. But what no one took into consideration was that you generally do not sip a drink when you consume it. You take in a much larger quantity in a single gulp. Hence the sweetness of new coke / Pepsi did not appeal to fans of the less sweet classic coke. And you know the rest. Two additional things though, and I could be wrong about both, but I seem to remember reading that when coke reintroduced coke classic they took the opportunity to replace cane sugar with corn syrup. I also believe new coke remained the default in Europe and Asia long after it disappeared in the US.