Henry Cavill's "dad bod" not hot enough to play James Bond...

marylander1940
This topic is 987 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

deep down, I think the majority of humans in the world will always use Sean Connery as the standard to which all subsequent Bond actors must adhere......

and none of the various subsequent actors has maintained that standard......Excusing that weird "Never Say Never Again" appearance in 1983, Connery in "Diamonds Are Forever" (1971), his last real James Bond, will be unbeatable...... 

Edited by azdr0710

8 hours ago, lonely_john said:

I thought they only cast British actors and that this would be the real reason to reject Henry Cavill because he's American. Am I wrong?

Cavill isn't American. As @Benjamin_Nicholas pointed out they don't hire just British actors for the role.

From IMDB

"Henry William Dalgliesh Cavill was born on the Bailiwick of Jersey, a British Crown dependency in the Channel Islands. His mother, Marianne (Dalgliesh), a housewife, was also born on Jersey, and is of Irish, Scottish and English ancestry. Henry's father, Colin Richard Cavill, a stockbroker, is of English origin (born in Chester, England). Henry is the second youngest son, with four brothers. He was privately educated at St. Michael's Preparatory School in Saint Saviour, Jersey before attending Stowe School in Buckinghamshire, England."

18 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

deep down, I think the majority of humans in the world will always use Sean Connery as the standard to which all subsequent Bond actors must adhere......

and none of the various subsequent actors has maintained that standard......Excusing that weird "Never Say Never Again" appearance in 1983, Connery in "Diamonds Are Forever" (1971), his last real James Bond, will be unbeatable...... 

11 hours ago, lonely_john said:

And I don't see the British casting a black actor for 007 (yet), but times are changing so who knows.

There was some talk of casting Idris Elba as the next Bond.  Elba certainly has the looks & flair to pull it off, but at this point, I fear he's too old (49 in a couple of weeks).  The next Bond needs to be in his early 30s so that he can do the next 10 years of sequels while still looking the part.  It'd be great to see a black or Indian/Pakistani Bond, as long as he's smokin' hot.

Even 38yo Cavill might be a bit too old, but if he were willing to do plenty of nude scenes, I'd love to see him as Bond.

Edited by BSR
Fixed a glitch

On 8/18/2021 at 6:44 PM, azdr0710 said:

Agree that Connery will always be equated with Bond and NSNA was god awful (more like a bad spoof of a Bond film). But I don’t agree that his performance in “Diamonds” set the standard. I like the film and Shirley Bassey’s title song is terrific (in fact all 3 of her Bond themes are great) but Connery is irritatingly unctuous in the lead role and by ‘71 he didn’t even look the part anymore, fat and unathletic. He hated the producers and he skipped “Her Majesty’s Secret Service” so I think he knew it was his last go round as Bond and basically mailed it in.