Electric Vehicles? (EVs)

JEC

My current Mercedes is 22 yo and runs like a charm. Never any big ussues but a few smaller annoying ones like the windshield wipers (single blade) and glove box door, which keeps springing open.

It has 234,000 kms (140,000 miles) and is worth nothing on a trade so will run it into the ground. Takes premium gas tho so that's a factor for longer trips. 

I just came back from Montreal and charging stations on street parking spots are everywhere. And you see cars hooked up. Nothing like that in Toronto.

I may get rid of my sports car tho as it has actually gone up in value since I bought it two years ago.

Charlie - if your spouse has (or may develop) mobility issues, you may want to consider the plug-in hybrid Chrysler Pacifica. I know the rep on a minivan is pretty dreadful, but I am friends with a gay couple that needed easy step-in and low floors for their elderly pets and found they love it.  They get 35-40 miles on a charge which means their around town trips are gas-free, and have a very comfortable ride on long trips.  They also have the top-of-the-line version which is a lot nicer than the 90’s minivans that my brothers and their families had back in the day.  

Good luck.

12 hours ago, curt gregory said:

Charlie - if your spouse has (or may develop) mobility issues, you may want to consider the plug-in hybrid Chrysler Pacifica. I know the rep on a minivan is pretty dreadful, but I am friends with a gay couple that needed easy step-in and low floors for their elderly pets and found they love it.  They get 35-40 miles on a charge which means their around town trips are gas-free, and have a very comfortable ride on long trips.  They also have the top-of-the-line version which is a lot nicer than the 90’s minivans that my brothers and their families had back in the day.  

Good luck.

The Pacifica is actually larger than I need, and unfortunately it has a terrible reputation for reliability; unfortunately, so does the only reasonably close Chrysler dealer.

• 5 months later...
On 8/31/2022 at 9:25 PM, glutes said:

Anyone that has a EV, that they recommend?

I own a 2018 BMW i3s REX.   It is the most fun car I have ever owned/driven, and I have owned many nice cars.  The battery, rated at 120 miles, actually gets you 70-80.   The REX is a small gas engine/generator which is good for another 30-40 miles (per 2.5 gallon fill).  For most local driving including getting to/from work every day, it is a fantastic car.   Like most electric vehicles, it does have some limitations:

• Without the REX, this car is simply not viable.  The risk of being stranded is just too high.
  • This car is not great for long-range travel (over 100 miles) at least until we build out the electric charging network more

The beauty of electric vehicles is that the power off the line is instantaneous.  This is the quickest nimblest car I have ever driven.