Memorial Day Weekend...

Boy4
This topic is 1074 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

21 hours ago, Luv2play said:

It's a good question. My answer would be that she presided over a period when Britain became the undisputed superpower in the world. She was the first monarch in Britain's 1000 year monarchical history to become the Empress as well as Queen, a title bestowed on her by her favorite Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli. 

She ruled an empire greater than even the Roman Empire, and greater than any before or since. As was the saying, the sun never set on the British Empire, meaning at any time in the 24 hour day, the sun was shining on a British flag waving above a British territory.

Of course, the sun did set eventually, but not in her time or her son's or grandson's time.

The American Empire, although not officially acknowledged, started after WWII. We will have to see whether it still functions in 2045.

As an Italian I must contest.  While "Great" Britain may have been bigger Rome produced better shit.  

2 hours ago, TruthBTold said:

As an Italian I must contest.  While "Great" Britain may have been bigger Rome produced better shit.  

Yes, until Rome tragically abandoned the Roman gods in favor of Christianity, and Western Civilization took a 1000-year plunge into the crapper. I often wonder how far our civilization would be by now if the Roman Empire had continued to flourish... 🤔

4 hours ago, TruthBTold said:

I have to agree with you that in cultural terms, especially architecture and their development of the arch which led to the dome over the Pantheon, the Romans had a genius which was also allied to engineering. In style, they borrowed heavily from the Greeks (and the Etruscans), who in a sense were more original, but the Romans extended exponentially to creating structures that served all aspects of living (and dying).

The Romans had indoor plumbing and central heating, things that only became available in Britain at the end of the Victorian period, And of course, in terms of bread and circuses, you couldn't beat the Roman Forum and the gladiator spectacles.

25 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

....And of course, in terms of bread and circuses, you couldn't beat the Roman Forum and the gladiator spectacles.

Ah, yes. You couldn't beat the spectacle of Christians getting chewed up by big cats...

The-Colosseum.net: Ad bestias

Proposed Reconstruction Circus Maximus Rome Circus Zenith Editorial Stock  Photo - Stock Image | Shutterstock

14 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Ah, yes. You couldn't beat the spectacle of Christians getting chewed up by big cats...

The-Colosseum.net: Ad bestias

Proposed Reconstruction Circus Maximus Rome Circus Zenith Editorial Stock  Photo - Stock Image | Shutterstock

The Christians got pretty good at dispatching non believers during the Spanish Inquisition a thousand years later when they were in control of Europe. And it wasn't restricted just to Spain, as the name would suggest; they were burning, beheading and burying alive their victims in far greater numbers all across Europe than the number of Christians killed by the Roman pagans. In the Netherlands alone, priests killed thousands which led to the Dutch revolt against the Catholic Church.

Edited by Luv2play
correction

On 5/24/2021 at 1:02 PM, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Memorial Day is a great time to visit the cemeteries and place flowers and American flags to honor the lives of those who have fallen.  The date in late May was chosen because flowers should be in bloom in all parts of the country, and should be in abundance for their use at cemeteries.  I anticipate more participation this year than last.

Our own @MikBIdude has placed flags in cemeteries in California for Memorial Days

Edited by WilliamM
Paragraph error

I just saw this Facebook:

"Memorial Day is coming, so if you visit a cemetary, don't remove the coins laid on graves because they have meaning:

A penny, you stopped & paid your respects

A nickel, you were in boot camp with them

A dime, you served in the same you unit with them

A quarter, you were with them when they died"

Is this common knowledge? I had never heard of it before.

37 minutes ago, BSR said:

"Memorial Day is coming, so if you visit a cemetary, don't remove the coins laid on graves because they have meaning:

I doubt it, considering people from all over  the United States could have served in same unit, or in boot camp

11 hours ago, BSR said:

I hadn’t heard of this either but I have seen coins on the stones in the cemetery I operate and wondered about their significance. Now I know. I have seen pennies and quarters. 

I suppose the quarters could signify that one was with a veteran when he died, not just those who were on the battlefield. Here in Canada, veterans may have references to their military service on their gravestones, even those that didn’t die in battle. The local Legions will place stickers in the form of the poppy flower at the base of some of these markers.

We also have some Commonwealth gravestones in our civilian cemetery, the type you see in military cemeteries around the world. They were installed by the federal government for individuals who for some reason did not have a marker installed by the family for a veteran.

18 hours ago, BSR said:

VP Kamala Harris issued a puzzling tweet about Memorial Day:  Enjoy the long weekend.

Perhaps she will say something to acknowledge our nation's fallen military on Memorial Day itself.

Vice President Kamala Harris (@VP) Tweeted:
Throughout our history our service men and women have risked everything to defend our freedoms and our country. As we prepare to honor them on Memorial Day, we remember their service and their sacrifice. https://twitter.com/VP/status/1398957365035159552?s=20

18 hours ago, BSR said:

VP Kamala Harris issued a puzzling tweet about Memorial Day:  Enjoy the long weekend.

Perhaps she will say something to acknowledge our nation's fallen military on Memorial Day itself.

Why not wait until after Memorial Day, if she doesn't, in fact, acknowledge the day, before criticizing her?

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

Why not wait until after Memorial Day, if she doesn't, in fact, acknowledge the day, before criticizing her?

She got quite a backlash from her initial tweet. I see that she made amends.

I too, remember it being called Decoration Day, where you decorated the graves. 

A salute to the men, women, husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons, and daughters, and all others who died in service to our country.

Edited by bashful