How do you like your olives stuffed?

This topic is 1040 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Looks like this string, which I created right before the reboot, got trashed. When I moved to western Hollywood, I noticed that my local Ralph's, at La Brea and Fountain, didn't sell olive-stuffed almonds, which are my favorite. I now have to go to the Von's in Studio City, on the other side of the hill, or order them on Amazon (though they did have some at the Ralphs' in Pasadena). For me pimientos, onions, garlic,  jalapeños, or cheese add too much flavor. What's your favorite almond stuffing?

https://www.olivepit.com/Stuffed-Olives-C21.aspx

Irrisitable_Box.jpg

Edited by Unicorn

I like them unstuffed, as well as stuffed. My favorite stuffed ones are with jalapenos or sun dried tomatoes.

My favorite olives are pickled kalamata olives. I prefer the tanginess over the salty brine used usually for the green olives.

Edited by big-n-tall

I love all kinds of olives. In fact, olive green is my favorite color! My preference is a briny olive unstuffed or stuffed with pimento. I do like some garlic-stuffed olives, but oftentimes the garlic overpowers the flavor of the olive.

@Unicorn, have you checked the Ralphs on Sunset between Poinsettia and Fuller(a/k/a the Rock-and-Roll Ralphs)? You might also find then at the Bristol Farms on Sunset and Fairfax. 

2 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

I love all kinds of olives. In fact, olive green is my favorite color! My preference is a briny olive unstuffed or stuffed with pimento. I do like some garlic-stuffed olives, but oftentimes the garlic overpowers the flavor of the olive.

@Unicorn, have you checked the Ralphs on Sunset between Poinsettia and Fuller(a/k/a the Rock-and-Roll Ralphs)? You might also find then at the Bristol Farms on Sunset and Fairfax. 

Thanks for the tip. The "Rock-and-Roll" Ralphs is actually closer to my house, but their selection is actually a bit less, and I find it more crowded. I didn't realize it went by "Rock-and-Roll" Ralph's. Why's that? I do use the small Petco across the street for my pooch's needs. 

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

Thanks for the tip. The "Rock-and-Roll" Ralphs is actually closer to my house, but their selection is actually a bit less, and I find it more crowded. ...

It IS a crowded store. Didn't realize it has less of a selection. I miss Petco Unleashed. We had them in abundance in San Diego but none here in Phoenix.  

Not sure how far this is from you, but there's a Gelson's at Franklin and Bronson. I always think it is at Highland for some reason. The Pavilions (somewhat upscale cousin of VONS) might also have them. 

My favorite olives are Tassos stuffed green olives. I get them in a two-pack at Costco. Not sure whether they have them in LA. The last year I lived in San Diego Costco subbed their own brand and they were not as good. When I'd come to Phoenix for business I'd stock up. My former managing director joked that I moved to Phoenix not for my job but for the olives at Costco!

The olives stuffed with almonds that I buy are Greek olives imported by Polaris into Canada in 1 litre glass jars. They last me about a month or so as I usually have a few each day.

I also like black olives with the pits and whole Kalamata olives with pits. The latter are also from Greece. 

I eat salads for lunch almost every day so olives form a part of my daily diet. I just pop in three or four with all the other things that go to making a tasty and nutritious meal 

When I was a kid the only olives available in markets were canned Lindsay black pitted olives.  They were virtually tasteless, but my dad loved them, so they were frequently on our dinner table.

I love Kalamata olives.  They add a great tanginess to my salads and various tomato-based sauces.  They go extremely well with anchovies and capers.  I like green olives stuffed with just about anything, pimiento, anchovies, bleu cheese, and even garlic cloves. 

Edited by Epigonos
grammar

Do those of you who like it with anchovies, garlic, and cheese like those in your martinis? Or you just eat them plain?

My use for olives is in cooking not in drinks, and for most purposes stuffed olives are not my choice. I do like them for salads, though, as they add a different type of complexity. I think they would also work well in dishes like Spaghetti alla Puttanesca, which I'm now planning for tonight. But with some olives from the 1.7kg bottle of Kalamata olives I have in my fridge.

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Do those of you who like it with anchovies, garlic, and cheese like those in your martinis? Or you just eat them plain?

I used the the stuffed ones as snacks usually and the unstuffed olives in salads and other meals/food types (i.e. on pizza, sauces, etc.).