Do you have any family heirlooms?

samhexum
This topic is 965 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't.

Minnesota family pleads for return of granny’s cross-stitch heirloom sold during estate sale

A mix-up at an estate sale sent a precious piece of one Minnesota’s family history out the door — grandmom’s giant cross-stitched map of America — and now they’re desperate to find it.

It took Rae Elizabeth Kellgreen more than a year to painstakingly create the item — a 3-foot by 2-foot-tall cross-stitch of the United States.

The work includes every state and every capital except Topeka, which was left out by accident, her grandson, Tyler Redden told KSTP.

If a cross-stitcher makes a mistake, they have to start over, so Kellgreen had started the project with the East Coast “because she knew that was going to be the hardest part,” Redden said.

“If she was going to mess up, it was going to be over there. So she started stitching it from the top right and kept going down, knowing that it would get easier as she went,” Redden said.

Kellgreen completed the work in 1990 and wanted to submit it to the state fair until she realized she’d left out the capital of Kansas.

So the work hung in her living room until her death in August. It was accidentally sold during a subsequent estate sale for just $10.

“This cross stitch is so important to my family,” the grandson told the station.

“It was the piece that, you know, the centerpiece in her living room for the three decades before she passed.”

161536555_10225327396036968_144917542464348887_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=swp7gtIIMgsAX_P8XIO&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&tp=6&oh=18bfb26a52e37a7347dea442be94f816&oe=607E133A

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't.

Minnesota family pleads for return of granny’s cross-stitch heirloom sold during estate sale

A mix-up at an estate sale sent a precious piece of one Minnesota’s family history out the door — grandmom’s giant cross-stitched map of America — and now they’re desperate to find it.

It took Rae Elizabeth Kellgreen more than a year to painstakingly create the item — a 3-foot by 2-foot-tall cross-stitch of the United States.

The work includes every state and every capital except Topeka, which was left out by accident, her grandson, Tyler Redden told KSTP.

If a cross-stitcher makes a mistake, they have to start over, so Kellgreen had started the project with the East Coast “because she knew that was going to be the hardest part,” Redden said.

“If she was going to mess up, it was going to be over there. So she started stitching it from the top right and kept going down, knowing that it would get easier as she went,” Redden said.

Kellgreen completed the work in 1990 and wanted to submit it to the state fair until she realized she’d left out the capital of Kansas.

So the work hung in her living room until her death in August. It was accidentally sold during a subsequent estate sale for just $10.

“This cross stitch is so important to my family,” the grandson told the station.

“It was the piece that, you know, the centerpiece in her living room for the three decades before she passed.”

161536555_10225327396036968_144917542464348887_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=swp7gtIIMgsAX_P8XIO&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&tp=6&oh=18bfb26a52e37a7347dea442be94f816&oe=607E133A

I have a fair amount of my parents' silver & other fancy dishes; my mother started distributing them amongst my sisters & me before she died. They never really used them that much. I have a few more items that my father didn't take with him when he moved into a retirement apartment.

I have a fair amount of my parents' silver & other fancy dishes; my mother started distributing them amongst my sisters & me before she died. They never really used them that much. I have a few more items that my father didn't take with him when he moved into a retirement apartment.

A man accused of trying to sell an ancient marble statue has been arrested by Greek police.

On Friday, authorities said that an unnamed suspect had been trying to sell the artifact, a 5th-century B.C. statue, for 100,000 euros ($119,000).

He was arrested Wednesday in the southern town of Corinth, about 50 miles west of Athens.

The statue was turned over to the Greek Ministry and Sports Culture by the Attica police, according to the Greek Reporter.

“It is an exceptional work of art, of the kind not easily found, not even in systematic excavations,” archaeologist Dimitris Sourlas said during a presentation at police headquarters in Athens, The Associated Press reported.

The statue, measuring about 37 centimeters (14.5 inches) high, portrays a seated young male, but his head, arms and a large portion of the legs are missing. According to police, it likely adorned a temple on Athens’ Acropolis or the slopes around it.

Investigators said that the artifact was recovered after a months-long investigation that involved the police and the country’s Cultural Heritage and Antiquities Department.

Attica Security Police chief Petros Dzeferis said that the recovery was among a number of successful cases carried out by the collaborative effort.

Authorities are now trying to determine how the statue came into the suspect’s hands, and whether he has succeeded in finding a buyer.

Images released by the police suggest that statue was buried for a long time. It also shows possible damage potentially caused by digging tools, according to the AP.

It is against the law to buy, sell or excavate antiquities without a permit in Greece.

A man accused of trying to sell an ancient marble statue has been arrested by Greek police.

On Friday, authorities said that an unnamed suspect had been trying to sell the artifact, a 5th-century B.C. statue, for 100,000 euros ($119,000).

He was arrested Wednesday in the southern town of Corinth, about 50 miles west of Athens.

The statue was turned over to the Greek Ministry and Sports Culture by the Attica police, according to the Greek Reporter.

“It is an exceptional work of art, of the kind not easily found, not even in systematic excavations,” archaeologist Dimitris Sourlas said during a presentation at police headquarters in Athens, The Associated Press reported.

The statue, measuring about 37 centimeters (14.5 inches) high, portrays a seated young male, but his head, arms and a large portion of the legs are missing. According to police, it likely adorned a temple on Athens’ Acropolis or the slopes around it.

Investigators said that the artifact was recovered after a months-long investigation that involved the police and the country’s Cultural Heritage and Antiquities Department.

Attica Security Police chief Petros Dzeferis said that the recovery was among a number of successful cases carried out by the collaborative effort.

Authorities are now trying to determine how the statue came into the suspect’s hands, and whether he has succeeded in finding a buyer.

Images released by the police suggest that statue was buried for a long time. It also shows possible damage potentially caused by digging tools, according to the AP.

It is against the law to buy, sell or excavate antiquities without a permit in Greece.

I used to hoard family heirlooms because nobody else seemed interesred in them because they had little monetary value. I've since whittled it down to one or two items from each deceased person that have sentimental significance for me, and have them in a display case beside a small framed-photo of the person who originally owned them. Hope that doesn't sound morbid...

I used to hoard family heirlooms because nobody else seemed interesred in them because they had little monetary value. I've since whittled it down to one or two items from each deceased person that have sentimental significance for me, and have them in a display case beside a small framed-photo of the person who originally owned them. Hope that doesn't sound morbid...

Not morbid at all. Quite the contrary.

Not morbid at all. Quite the contrary.

For some reason, one of my great-grandmothers saved the fancy garters she was wearing when she stepped off the boat in America in 1865, and I found them in a small box, with a piece of paper explaining what they were, among my father's effects after he died. I have no idea why he saved them or what to do with them. I also have my grandfather's pocket watch and his pistol. The one useful heirloom was my grandfather's gold wedding ring, which has my grandparents' initials and wedding date (1904) engraved inside the band. It sat in a little box in my dresser until I got married in 2013, when I decided to re-purpose it as my own wedding ring. A jeweler was able to re-size it to fit me without disturbing the engraving. Unfortunately, I have no family member to hand it down to, so it will probably end up in an estate sale someday.

Well, most of our old family heirlooms went up in smoke during the 1991 Oakland wildfire. My mother barely made it out alive (I was living elsewhere in the East Bay, and I was the one who called her to tell her to get out). My sister got the family jewels, which were in the safe, since she has a daughter to pass them on. After the fire, my mother had a hand-made tapestry made with a salamander in the fire, and a phoenix rising up from the ashes. It has a lot of meaning to me, so I was happy when neither my brother or sister were interested in it. It now hangs proudly next to my living room fireplace, and everyone seems to love it. Although it's not an old heirloom, it's my most cherished possession. I suppose I'll will it to one of my nieces. I hope it stays in the family, to keep my mother's memory alive... This is not the tapestry, but it bears resemblance to this (with a salamander and flames on the bottom):

t31.png

I found that in my Senior years, family heirlooms became "useless clutter"....

I used to hoard family heirlooms because nobody else seemed interesred in them because they had little monetary value. I've since whittled it down to one or two items from each deceased person that have sentimental significance for me, and have them in a display case beside a small framed-photo of the person who originally owned them.

I do and they're on my will, I'm glad I saved them from being sold by my siblings.

Heirlooms?.....no, we were poor.

Keepsakes?....yes.

However, having recently cleaned out one deceased relatives attic....please get rid of 99% of that junk now.

No one should have to go through a century of crap that you should have thrown away decades ago.

578eefc0689601395177005056a9545d