Tracking Devices...A Godsend?

Lucky
This topic is 1180 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yesterday I could not find my car key. I knew that it was in the car because the car would start. But I could not lock it. My husband and I tore the car appart looking for it. My car dealer is nearby, so I went there. The agent became frustrated too as he could not find it. Finally, he lifted the passenger seat and it dropped out. It was stuck, not under, but in the bottom of the seat.

So I went to Amazon and bought a package of Tile tracking devices. There were 4 in the pack, so I have one attached to my key chain, one to the husband's keys, and one to our dog. Using the phone app, I can get each tracker to beep. I don't know what it does if the Tile is a couple of blocks away.

Anyone else tracking things?

Yesterday I could not find my car key. I knew that it was in the car because the car would start. But I could not lock it. My husband and I tore the car appart looking for it. My car dealer is nearby, so I went there. The agent became frustrated too as he could not find it. Finally, he lifted the passenger seat and it dropped out. It was stuck, not under, but in the bottom of the seat.

So I went to Amazon and bought a package of Tile tracking devices. There were 4 in the pack, so I have one attached to my key chain, one to the husband's keys, and one to our dog. Using the phone app, I can get each tracker to beep. I don't know what it does if the Tile is a couple of blocks away.

I used Tiles until they stopped working after a couple of years. They worked OK, but I had little use for them. I don't recall ever misplacing anything that had a Tile attached to it, so I wasn't motivated to replace them.

For your car key example, I'm not sure Tile would have helped. I don't think they are super accurate so although they would probably indicate that the keys were inside the car, I don't think they'd be able to pinpoint them to a specific location under a car seat. My experience with them was when they first came out, so who knows if they've improved their precision since then.

Regarding distant Tiles, when a unknown Tile is detected by the Tile app, it "phones home" and notifies the Tile servers where your Tile is located. This is a great feature, but it only works if there are other people in your neighborhood also using the Tile app.

Apple has a new tracking tile coming out "any day now" (lol) and I'll probably try them. The big advantage they are said to have over the Tile tags is that they can track items to within 5-10cm.

Edited by Hoover42

Growing up, I was always misplacing the house key. About six years ago, my sister gave me a Tile for Christmas - partly as a gag gift. I have used it ever since. About once every three months it is handy.

I used Tiles until they stopped working after a couple of years. They worked OK, but I had little use for them. I don't recall ever misplacing anything that had a Tile attached to it, so I wasn't motivated to replace them.

Tile has since changed its design. While originally you had to replace them, they now use a replacable watch battery.

For your car key example, I'm not sure Tile would have helped. I don't think they are super accurate so although they would probably indicate that the keys were inside the car, I don't think they'd be able to pinpoint them to a specific location under a car seat. My experience with them was when they first came out, so who knows if they've improved their precision since then.

I've been able to find the key that slid out of my pocket and into the couch. I new it was somewhere in the condo, and while the phone could not pinpoint the location within my place, the ringing on the device led me to it.

Regarding distant Tiles, when a unknown Tile is detected by the Tile app, it "phones home" and notifies the Tile servers where your Tile is located. This is a great feature, but it only works if there are other people in your neighborhood also using the Tile app.

When I've left the key in my office, but cannot find it at home; I can see on the phone the "last location" of the Tile. Then when I arrive there, I'm able to trigger the sound to find it.

For Apple users, there are rumors that Apple may be updating and improving their so-called "Air Tags" which are similar to "Tiles" but with better accuracy. The Apple reveal is scheduled for March 23.

https://appleinsider.com/inside/airtags

A bit off topic... but I’m also looking to an upcoming iOS release that will allow your Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone, while you’re wearing a mask ??

I've had Tiles before and they were just ok. Not up to expectations. I bought a pack of 4 at Home Depot on sale for $10 around Christmas but they're still in a drawer (someplace, too bad I can't locate them lol).

The big thing in locators now is the things you sneak inside someone's bumper to track where they drive to etc. by GPS. They've gotten fairly cheap so not just companies use them but also families and of course: Jealous lovers/spouses.

For anyone who doesn't have it I strongly recommend the free "Find My Device" app on Android or the similar one on Apple. Someone broke in my house a year ago and took my cellphone while I was asleep. The police actually helped me use the Find My Device and amazingly it showed my phone's location and travel for the past week and the location, within 5 feet, of it going from my house up various sidewalks (the culprit never jaywalked) and then into a back corner of a multi-story apartment building where it rested from then on. (Of course, they could not tell which floor the back corner apartment was on). I never got my phone back but at least I knew it was stolen, not lost, and to head to the store to buy a new one. Your phone or tablet doesn't even have to be turned on for it to work and it works fine from a desktop app also. You just sign into it on Google and all your devices also using Google are automatically found and located. And you can see a map of where they've traveled for at least the last week.

Since we now live in a Chinese-type surveillance state we may as well make the best of it.

Edited by tassojunior