The Villages in Florida

rocky
This topic is 1140 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So just retired and thinking ahead for short or long time southern experience. I've heard about the Villages in Florida and the recent documentary. Anyone have any thoughts about moving there?

My cousin lives in a town near The Villages. She does not have very nice things to say about it. Her biggest complaint is one that my dad experienced in a Chicago suburb that also has a large Del Webb development - The Villages defeat any measures that would assist senior citizens in the community at large because they have those services in their development. For example, there is no paratransit because the residents of The Villages voted it down. Problem is, that means no paratransit for anyone. The other issue with developments like The Villages is the difficulty selling the house, as you are competing with an ever-increasing supply of new housing.

A close friend just moved to a community outside of Clearwater and loves it. She can walk to the beach, stores, restaurants, and the arts center. And no HOAs!

Sat next to an Rx sales lady on a flight to Orlando. Was in the process of moving to Claremont which is just wast of Orlando. I asked about medical care in the area. In passing she mentioned that The Villages was her biggest market. They had the highest incidents of STD’s per capita of any area of FL. I drove thru it several times. I was underwhelmed. I liked quaint Claremont. Reminded me New England.

politics forum here we come in 3.....2.....1.......

I made the mistake of believing most of the residents were Jewish and I got scolded because of such an outrageous display of ignorance ONLY comparable to the flat Earth society, etc....

So just retired and thinking ahead for short or long time southern experience. I've heard about the Villages in Florida and the recent documentary. Anyone have any thoughts about moving there?

Whatever you want to ask about retirement please google first. I guess retirement is a very sensitive subject to some in this forum who dream of taking a golf cart to check their mail. ? ? ? ;)

Just say NO to the villages. Crowded old age living community where everyone stays busy with golf, checkers, book clubs etc. Just a little over the top for me, like living in a Disney community. VERY crowded and huge with many driving golf carts instead of cars. I wouldn't think it would be very gay friendly.

Agree! ?

but I won't go into politics...

I made the mistake of believing most of the residents were Jewish and I got scolded because of such an outrageous display of ignorance ONLY comparable to the flat Earth society, etc....

Whatever you want to ask about retirement please google first. I guess retirement is a very sensitive subject to some in this forum who dream of taking a golf cart to check their mail. ? ? ? ;)

Agree! ?

but I won't go into politics...

You meant the world isn't flat in The villages?

How dare you stomp on my dreams!! I've started to envy my new neighbors, who use a golf cart to collect their mail from our communal boxes halfway down the street.

Edited by Charlie

For a gay man especially, I'd think more Wilton Manors or Clearwater/St Pete.

We looked at real estate in Wilton Manors when we retired, and it seemed to be a good place to be gay in Florida (but we didn't want to live in Florida).

WM is surprisingly downscale when you actually see it. Some fugly apartment bdgs and houses.

Right now if I had to choose in FL, I think Sarasota would be top. Dunedin area of Clearwater 2nd. My friends all assumed I'd move to FtL but I got cold feet. So I commute.

We looked at real estate in Wilton Manors when we retired, and it seemed to be a good place to be gay in Florida (but we didn't want to live in Florida).

I would have chosen WM because I have always had family members who live in Florida, aunts & uncles and fist cousins

I’m friends with a married gay couple who relocated to The Villages a few years ago and they love it. They socialize with neighbors and haven’t spoken of anything homophobic. They’re not seniors (yet) and they’re not the golf cart, early-bird special type. I guess life is what you make it regardless of geography.