Cash or credit?

FLFunSized
This topic is 889 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

haha, I get the question sometimes. Mostly from Americans. Like: Do you accept credit-card.... I mean, does it look like I am carrying around a payment terminal? XD

But what other guys say; you can reverse payments with PayPal. And that is the main reason why I never will accept PayPal. And often when they pay in a different current USD/EUR, you have to pay (as receiver) a hefty fee. 200 gbp is already easily 26 euro fee.

The only digital payment system I use is Revolut. You can receive in all kinds of currencies and exchange right away with the actual exchange-rate. You can make several currency-accounts in your wallet. For example, EUR, USD, AED, GBP. Sadly enough not many guys know yet about this application since its quite new.

Tho, cash is always preferred. No drama and for the client it means just a simple trip to the ATM.

Traditionally I used cash, and I'm going to continue to, although I do have some caveats.

First, during the pandemic, my bank's local tellers were closed, and the ATM was limited to several hundred a day (I forget the exact amount). That really limited me, so I generally used apps during the pandemic. Now that the tellers are back, I can use cash easier (not to mention the ability to get bills larger than 20s).

Second, if it's night and I don't have cash on me, I'm not walking to the ATM for a wad of cash. And since I like 420 before hiring, making a last-minute drive isn't a safe option. It's good to plan ahead, but you never know if you'll see a good visitor pop up one night on RM without warning.

Finally, I'm worried about getting my cash withdrawals reported. Taking out as little as 2K over a series of withdrawals in the U.S. can cause the bank to file a SAR against you, without informing you. And that scares the s**t out of me - more dangerous than using a CC!

I have too strong a sense of decency to take back money I already paid via an app. I had a former regular take me for several hundred (paid half deposit, but he got 'roid rage and left early). I just let him keep the deposit - it taught me an important lesson anyway.

Edited by DrownedBoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, MikeBiDude said:

One of my local ATM’s dispenses 100’s on request in addition to 20’s and 50’s. Very convenient.

I used a BofA ATM the other day before seeing a provider and it asked how I wanted the money and got 2×$100 & 5×$20...so convenient don't have to stand there counting the right amount of $20s in front of the provider.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, Jamie21 said:

I take credit cards, or cash (£ or US$ or €). Mostly my clients pay by card. 
I don’t mind how they pay as long as they do actually pay. 

I was hoping @Jamie21could chime in on this or other folks from the UK. My last appointment in London with a new person asked for "a bank transfer" which I thought was odd. Is that the done thing?

As someone from the states, I am accustomed to paying cash, though if I was going to do a bank transfer is this a internal UK bank thing?  Is there a popular payment app used by UK / EU providers? .

i personally would never use a a bank transfer for privacy purposes. 

Also on my last visit there since there was such a gap because of covid,  I had a a bunch of paper, non polymer £20, which were not taken too well, fortunately, said provider just wanted to get paid, so I settled with a mix of US$ and €). 

I have even had a foreigner who was once in London not want Scottish £ but we won't get into that. 

Edited by jetlow

14 minutes ago, jetlow said:

My last appointment in London with a new person asked for "a bank transfer" which I thought was odd. Is that the done thing?

Bank transfer is certainly an Australian thing, and I'm not surprised it's a UK thing as well, although in our case it's domestic. I'd be surprised if there were a simple international bank transfer process, so unless you have a UK bank account ...

I've had two recent hires who preferred that and as I had my laptop with me in one case, that's what I did (I don't have a bank app on my phone otherwise I could have used that instead). Privacy is still an issue if you have a partner who you don't want to see the transaction, but at least here and in the UK there isn't the legality aspect to worry about. Here, only a bank branch identifier and account number are needed, and the guy read those from his phone for me to type in. Australian banks also have 'PayID' which enables you to make an instant transfer using just the payee's phone number from your bank's app or internet banking.

15 minutes ago, mike carey said:

Bank transfer is certainly an Australian thing, and I'm not surprised it's a UK thing as well, although in our case it's domestic. I'd be surprised if there were a simple international bank transfer process, so unless you have a UK bank account ...

I've had two recent hires who preferred that and as I had my laptop with me in one case, that's what I did (I don't have a bank app on my phone otherwise I could have used that instead). Privacy is still an issue if you have a partner who you don't want to see the transaction, but at least here and in the UK there isn't the legality aspect to worry about. Here, only a bank branch identifier and account number are needed, and the guy read those from his phone for me to type in. Australian banks also have 'PayID' which enables you to make an instant transfer using just the payee's phone number from your bank's app or internet banking.

We have versions of that — Zelle from Bank of America, Venmo , hell I could make a transfer with just a swift code  \ IBAN but no way in hell I’m doing that . I’m curious what’s used in the UK 

54 minutes ago, jetlow said:

I was hoping @Jamie21could chime in on this or other folks from the UK. My last appointment in London with a new person asked for "a bank transfer" which I thought was odd. Is that the done thing?

As someone from the states, I am accustomed to paying cash, though if I was going to do a bank transfer is this a internal UK bank thing?  Is there a popular payment app used by UK / EU providers? .

Also on my last visit there since there was such a gap because of covid,  I had a a bunch of paper, non polymer £20, which were not taken too well, fortunately, said provider just wanted to get paid, so I settled with a mix of US$ and €). 

I have even had a foreigner who was once in London not want Scottish £ but we won't get into that. 

Yes bank transfer is a thing here and can be done easily on the phone. It’s instant so I can see I’ve been paid. I have a couple of clients who prefer bank transfer. I personally prefer to be paid by cash or credit card (I have a card reader). 

1 minute ago, Jamie21 said:

Yes bank transfer is a thing here and can be done easily on the phone. It’s instant so I can see I’ve been paid. I have a couple of clients who prefer bank transfer. I personally prefer to be paid by cash or credit card (I have a card reader). 

Works intrabank? Does it reveal names  ? No sane American  would use that. 

He was really happy to get cash , more happy than the actual sex and appointment  . It did make him smile

6 hours ago, jetlow said:

Works intrabank? Does it reveal names  ? No sane American  would use that. 

He was really happy to get cash , more happy than the actual sex and appointment  . It did make him smile

Yes, it’s easy. I use Monzo, can send money instantly to any bank. Do need names. I guess if you’re wanting total discretion then cash is the only thing that’s 100% discreet! 
I think European banking tech is more advanced than US banking tbh. 

Yes, Zelle is the equivalent of a bank transfer - your bank has to have an agreement with them, and transactions are treated like real cash withdrawals. I don't even use the Zelle app - my bank's app includes a Zelle option.

It's not as anonymous, but:

1. It looks somewhat suspicious if you go to a teller constantly for large cash outflows (which in the U.S. can be investigated)

2. My bank's ATMs only carry 20s (and also have daily withdraw limits)

3. It's safer for the provider (you can't reverse a Zelle transaction if the other person's bank uses it)

On 10/3/2021 at 12:33 AM, jetlow said:

I am typically a cash payer but my last session which was in London and was a multi-day session. The provider was willing to accept cash in either US$ or £, but also offered me an app called Wise that provides a really good exchange rate in a money transfer. It's a British based app.

I'm not into sending payments through apps, but the exchange rate was really good and I wouldn't have to carry any cash above spending money, so I went for it. I wasn't worried about privacy as he pretty much knew everything about me from previous meetings and I would have to get his info to make the payment. It worked out well and I'm considering getting a debit card from the company as you can make currency exchanges in multiple currencies. It would be helpful since I go to Canada at least once a year.

27 minutes ago, Islesguy said:

I am typically a cash payer but my last session which was in London and was a multi-day session. The provider was willing to accept cash in either US$ or £, but also offered me an app called Wise that provides a really good exchange rate in a money transfer. It's a British based app.

I'm not into sending payments through apps, but the exchange rate was really good and I wouldn't have to carry any cash above spending money, so I went for it. I wasn't worried about privacy as he pretty much knew everything about me from previous meetings and I would have to get his info to make the payment. It worked out well and I'm considering getting a debit card from the company as you can make currency exchanges in multiple currencies. It would be helpful since I go to Canada at least once a year.

Multi day and in London ? I have yet to find a provider that good ….

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 4:48 AM, AlexanderRF said:

haha, I get the question sometimes. Mostly from Americans. Like: Do you accept credit-card.... I mean, does it look like I am carrying around a payment terminal? XD

But what other guys say; you can reverse payments with PayPal. And that is the main reason why I never will accept PayPal. And often when they pay in a different current USD/EUR, you have to pay (as receiver) a hefty fee. 200 gbp is already easily 26 euro fee.

The only digital payment system I use is Revolut. You can receive in all kinds of currencies and exchange right away with the actual exchange-rate. You can make several currency-accounts in your wallet. For example, EUR, USD, AED, GBP. Sadly enough not many guys know yet about this application since its quite new.

Tho, cash is always preferred. No drama and for the client it means just a simple trip to the ATM.

Painpal is soOoOoOoO complicated~ I guess it works for some people. 
 Years ago I heard that people could reverse the charges within a 24 hour period. 
 I never encountered that during the few times I used PayPal but, on a couple of occasions, the transfer didn’t go through. Instead, it got sent to some holding account where it was sitting indefinitely. In order to change that, we had to call customerservice and wait on the phone for an hour or so… after that we were told to call back. We did: more waiting… then transferred to somebody else… Then they had to “look into it” and there were some other complications… I had to call customer service separately… additionally, the client had to call customer service as well… The whole thing was just so uncomfortable for everybody. They also charge a fee…

Zelle is my second choice after cash~
 It works great and is so simple~ It’s secure, fast and doesn’t have any service fees~ I guess people worried about privacy will be worried about that but, if you’ve exchanged phone numbers, traveled with anybody, shared email addresses, gone to someone’s home you either have all that information anyway or you can get it if you really want it. 

There are phone services that take credit cards but, I haven’t actually used them. I’m set up for that though. I’ve also got a little tiny box that a person can tap, slide or dip their card into~ I haven’t used that either… It seems pretty simple. Credit seems to suggest device and service charge to me~ 

Cash is easy… I will except that over anything else.

Some people have asked if I accept checks or paid partially with cash and partially with check but, that requires a period of clearing within the bank. It also may require me to wait until I arrive back home if they mail The check. This can some time to be problematic if I’m using some of my cash to also pay for expenses in other cities that I might be going to and there’s no chance of my cashing the check until I return home and have my mail service started again~ 

So, it’s the point there: a check isn’t necessarily readily available~ If something happens before the check clears and they are unable to process the check, that’s more time. There can also be fees associated with a check not clearing… Trying to go after somebody who has written you a bad check isn’t what anyone wants to do and just sends off bad vibes~ It’s too complicated~ 

So, it’s cash or Zelle~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

On 10/2/2021 at 9:33 PM, jetlow said:

Oh… It’s funny about the Scottish £~ 

I was in the UK and a busy boy a good four months out of they year prior to the pandemic~ (2012 to 2020).

When I first started working there one of my Clients gave me a combination of British and Scottish £~ I hesitated~ They caught that and reassured me that there was no problem with the cash. I did ask if I could spend that in London and they said yes there’s no problem, they’re interchangeable. It was a little confusing for me but, I took him at his word~ 

In my complete ignorance, I actually was unaware that Scottish £ were a viable thing~ 

I don’t know why but, I think I had this idea that there was just the one currency. I think this idea came from the EU because, once those countries joined together, there was only the euro. You didn’t see drachmas, Lire  and all that other stuff anymore. So some part of me was just a little bit cautious that maybe the Scottish £ were also obsolete~
 They were, of course, fine~ 

10 minutes ago, Tygerscent said:

I don’t know why but, I think I had this idea that there was just the one currency.

They are the same currency, it's more like the different bills issued by the different branches of the US Federal Reserve, but the difference is less obvious with those bills than is the case in the UK. There, it's that the Bank of England as the central bank prints banknotes in England, and three Scottish commercial banks print their own notes. Outside Scotland people face the risk that the notes will not be accepted as some people are not familiar with them. Some banks in Northern Ireland also issue their own notes.

9 minutes ago, mike carey said:

They are the same currency, it's more like the different bills issued by the different branches of the US Federal Reserve, but the difference is less obvious with those bills than is the case in the UK. There, it's that the Bank of England as the central bank prints banknotes in England, and three Scottish commercial banks print their own notes. Outside Scotland people face the risk that the notes will not be accepted as some people are not familiar with them. Some banks in Northern Ireland also issue their own notes.

Thank you for explaining that… I actually did not know much about it. It’s pretty fascinating really~ if Scotland should ever separate from the UK, do you think they’ll keep their own currency of the Scottish £ or Try to join the EU and take on the euro?

18 minutes ago, Tygerscent said:

Thank you for explaining that… I actually did not know much about it. It’s pretty fascinating really~ if Scotland should ever separate from the UK, do you think they’ll keep their own currency of the Scottish £ or Try to join the EU and take on the euro?

Oh my God you’ve started off a big question there! It’s extremely emotive here in the UK. They’ve said they’ll try to join the EU, but keep the £ but I think that will be difficult because if they keep the £ they’re not really independent given interest rates would be set by the Bank of England. If they join the EU they may have to also take the Euro. I personally don’t believe they will vote for independence if they get the opportunity to vote….but who knows? 

Anyway, my newly independent Scottish clients will still be welcome and they can pay in whatever hard currency they like. As long as they keep Her Majesty as head of state of course. If they do away with her then I’m not happy with them. God Save The Queen 🙂 

50 minutes ago, Tygerscent said:

As @Jamie21said it's a fraught issue. In 2014 the SNP wanted to keep the pound, but the Bank of England said that would be difficult. The referendum was lost so the debate was moot. If there were another referendum, it would be driven by wanting to rejoin the EU, and new member states have to also join the Euro. It could take time for Scotland to meet the conditions so they would need something to use in the interim..

I have a fondness for Edinbrugh and was considering a move there prior to the pandemic but, was waiting to see what way matters would fall with Brexit, (went on for seemingly ever). I was, in fact, en route to London and Italy to make the choice late Feb 2020 when the Kali Yuga made its global debuts~ 

I generally am home based in Scotland, London and Italy. It’s a bit of a choice what each I should choose to move to now that Brexit has gone thru~ One post Brexit. One one the fence and one firmly seated in the EU~ One Schengen, one not and all humbled to Red Crowned Queen Corona~

I’ve still fingers in the pie but, only one currency will make the clean up afterward a less messy ordeal~ 
 That being said and to the topic: Cash and bank transfer but, I still fancy Bouillon~  There was an Escort-Client couple I knew years ago who suggested exchanging all cash currency to gold~ It was a brilliant suggestion that came to blossom around 2009 and forward~ 

Edited by Tygerscent