Sirius, Fighting the Annual Costs

rocky
This topic is 1158 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi. I've used sirius for many years and each renewal time I get an outrageous bill. I've decreased the number of channels for a while but then have been able to negotiate a fair price for full service. I just got my bill for next year and wow more than doubled. Anyone care to share any success in getting sirius to come back with reasonable fee?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always called before the expiration date to cancel, so they won't slam me with full price renewal. They always come up with something. Just got to go into the conversation with the mindset of your purpose is to cancel.

I use the same strategy although, since obtaining Android Auto, when I tell Sirius that I want to cancel, I actually mean it - unless they come up with a really good price, which they always do. Tell them that you'll pay the same amount as you did last year - for me, they've always accepted my offer. Be sure to call them a few days before renewal.

yes!.....I have it for two cars and it is, yes, two times the price of one car - not even some sort of slight discount.....I cancelled a couple times in the beginning and they came back with substantial discount offers, which I took......I sorta gave up on that scheme and just took the full price hits lately.......but I need to try cancelling again, despite the moderate hassle and time required.....

very expensive!.....but I do like it and it's all I listen to in the car.......I need to see what my latest charge was!!

EDIT: just checked.....I'm being charged $211 total every six months for two cars for the "XM Select" plan.....

Edited by azdr0710

Ha! I first read this as “Sinus, Fighting the Annual Cost” and that interested me.

but alas, I have never found much of a need for Sirius and don’t subscribe. I suppose I could activate the WiFi hotspot capabilities of my car if I wanted to stream content??

I suppose I could activate the WiFi hotspot capabilities of my car if I wanted to stream content??

I'm not sure if you could buy the Home version of Satellite radio and use it in your car - I sorta doubt it. Normally, if your car didn't come with satellite radio you'd have to have a Satellite Radio Adapter installed on your current radio.

I had Sirius XM. I quit them. They do keep offering deals to come back, but I've been free of them for 5 years.

Ive been cutting back too...XM, Spotify, Pandora...it adds up quickly before you even notice! There are services that can help you identify these “leeches” so you can take action (Truebill, Trim etc) and a few services that will help you track the subscriptions you want to keep...will alert you when it is time to cancel or start negotiating the next year’s rate (trackmysubs.com). At my advanced age, i can use all the help I can get to keep track!

I’m about to make the same call. Here in south Texas Sirius is appropriate. There are few FM stations and none of them play classical music. And in Texas all drives (except local errands) are long drives. But long drives are for now a distant memory and we only listen to two channels: Symphony Hall (74) and the Metropolitan Opera recently moved to 355 which is beyond the radio’s range. Fortunately I didn’t toss out all my old CD’s.

Thanks. Well today after my $300 plus bill, guess what, a $123 bill but was told I had to put on auto pay for future years at $300 (and I didn't). For heaven sakes it's like Spectrum of course they are worse. Interestingly enough my first counter offer was $198; I responded gee that's more than I paid last year, guess what, came back with $123.

Had it since 2007. It's great on a long trip. No more finding a new station after leaving a broadcast area for a station you finally like. Good variety with Select Plan, without paying a lot (about $75 a year).

Plus, my last car had Bose, the one prior had Harmen Kardon (I loved, loved, loved the sound quality), and Bose before that car. Today, I have the standard radio, and definitely notice better sound quality when listening to Sirius on this car rather that standard FM.

I don't drive much anymore, so I suppose if my next car has HD FM (I hear the clarity is great compared to non-HD), I may consider getting rid of Sirius.

For the past 3-4 years I've been able to renew at the $5/month (plus taxes/fees). To avoid the auto-renewal issue, AFTER you pay, I go in and put a Visa Gift Card (with no funds on it anymore) into the system. haha.

You can use the "chat' function if you don't want to call in. I think this year they also added the mobile streaming to the plan as well for the same price.

I got a new car in July so I had it free for 3 months. Then I wasn't planning on signing up for any sort of extension but when it got close to expiring I got a one year offer at $5 a month which comes to $6 and something that I pay each month. So I took it. Only thing I really lost were the NFL channels which is fine because on Sundays I am inside watching on TV. I will cancel before the end of the one year and only sign back up if they offer the same deal.

I got Sirius subscription with my car, but once it lapsed, I stopped as I thought there would be enough to listen to on the regular radio and audible. They kept on sending me promotion after promotion. That finally, i took the best one that they had: 3 dollars a month for 3 years. I don't think they give out those deals anymore. BBC World Service is my favorite channel.

Silence while driving is one of the perks of the automobile. Why ruin it?

A job I had in the operations room for several years usually was non-stop talking on the phone, or shouting across the aisles to get answers, or answer questions, put out fires, etc.. Every day when I drove home, it was in silence, no radio, and then, when I got home, at least another hour on the couch with a drink in silence. Then I could enjoy the evening.

Thanks. I enjoy listening to music I like to hear when I drive, all types. Siruis provides that, I'm a non techie so now that they no longer provide cd players in cars I like sirius but also know that they will screw you. I don't mind being screwed and paying money but I'd like something in returnj.