What's the very worst musical you ever saw?

Merboy
This topic is 755 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Assassins by Sondheim. What was he thinking?

First, of course, by "he" you mean "they" - in this case, not just Sondheim but also writer John Weidman, and also a young playwright at the time named Charles Gilbert, who provided the basic inspiration for the show.

Second - I'm sorry that you feel that way. I think the show is a masterpiece. Daring, sobering, often very funny, and intensely moving. And the dark comedy in the show takes us by surprise - we laugh but realize at the same time that the subject is no laughing matter.

And the penultimate scene, the almost Twilight Zone-ish idea that Booth and the other assassins appear to Oswald to convince him to shoot JFK - to me it's most likely the best book scene ever written for a musical.

I've had the honor of being musical director for 3 productions of Assassins, and am itching to do it again.

There was an amazing zoom reunion of the creators and the original off-Broadway cast the other night, just coincidentally - great stuff! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-x8YiWL-W8:1671

Haven't seen that many, but Newsies was the worst. I saw it on broadway. 2nd runner-up would have to be Sweeney Todd - Philly tour; such a silly tale.

I loved Les Miserables and Cabaret's Philly tours. Phantom of the Opera in London was really great too.

In the 90s I used to get a lot of free tickets because I volunteered at an AIDS service organization. Sometimes the things were pretty good - I got to see Rosemary Clooney live at the Curran theater. But they could be pretty lame too. I remember a musical that was supposed to be destined for broadway that was so bad that it closed after one night. I don't remember the title but the story line involved a self-absorbed yuppie/techie who had commitment phobia and kept screwing the women in his life over. It was so horrid that the audience laughed nearly non-stop through the whole production.

I'm glad I didn't pay today's prices for Naked Boys, but it was definitely fun.

I know someone who was in the show for a while. A pretty good performer in his own right (I did a few shows with him back when he was in college), but I don't think that was the primary reason why he got cast, lol. (I personally never saw the item in question, but I have heard he is quite blessed lol.)

I saw Jesus Christ Superstar in San Diego. It was absolutely awful. I was happy when they got to the crucifixion because it meant the end was near.

Merrily We Go Along is another musical that I didn't like. Saw a performance at DePaul University in the 1990s. The performers were good, but the story was pretty weak and the songs were forgettable.

EDIT: Wrong Jesus Christ musical.

Suspect all you want I did see it. Oh I see if it is something you personally liked my opinion doesn't matter. OK I hated Cats, and starlight express. Is that OK with you, you pompous ass.

Clearly my response was too flip, and I apologize. But your response in turn feels way way out of proportion. No one said your opinion doesn't matter - where the hell did that come from?

Meanwhile, I'm sorry you hated Urinetown. But of course it might be great to actually explain why... ?

Hated it so much I had blocked it from my memory until it was mentioned in this thread.

This may be the first time I’ve ever disagreed with both Benjamin Nicholas and Rod Hagen.

I hated Urinetown.

I just didn’t think it was funny or even remotely interesting.

I can’t for the life of me remember even one song from this show.

In fact the only moment I remember is when the girl on roller skates makes fun of the name of the show.

That‘s digging pretty deep for a “highlight”. One minor laugh, at the show’s own expense.

Clearly my response was too flip, and I apologize. But your response in turn feels way way out of proportion. No one said your opinion doesn't matter - where the hell did that come from?

Meanwhile, I'm sorry you hated Urinetown. But of course it might be great to actually explain why... ?

NYC explained it all for me. I do admit my response was little over the top but I haven't had human contact in over a year and it is starting to get to me.

That's a very good point. I don't think I even remembered the songs as they were being sung (I'm guessing one was called "UrineTown").

The opening song is in fact called "Urinetown" lol. And the Act II opener is "What Is Urinetown?"

I think it's actually quite a memorable score. But I suppose, like any show one hasn't heard before, you need to hear the songs a few times before they start to sink in. People who can actually "hum the tunes" the first time out (with any show) are either remarkable musicians, or the score is so derivative that they actually have heard the tunes before lol. ;-)

(This is part of my theory as to why jukebox shows have become so popular - the audience can already "hum the tunes" before the show starts lol. Same with revivals, of course.)

Urine Town

It's one word - Urinetown.

I liked Urinetown.

It's a GREAT show. Whip-smart and very entertaining if you have a cast that can handle it.

Hated it so much I had blocked it from my memory until it was mentioned in this thread. I hated Urinetown.

I just didn’t think it was funny or even remotely interesting.

I can’t for the life of me remember even one song from this show.

That's a very good point. I don't think I even remembered the songs as they were being sung (I'm guessing one was called "UrineTown").

The opening song is in fact called "Urinetown" lol. And the Act II opener is "What Is Urinetown?"

Wasn't the big number 'Singing in the Rain'?