New York Times or Washington Post

SundayZip
This topic is 1289 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Very odd that a newspaper owned by a Christian/Jewish family permits such antisemitism. Interesting article about the family and its Jewish faith vis-a-vis antisemitism:

https://www.aish.com/ci/s/The-Jewish-Owner-of-The-New-York-Times.html

The family has not been Jewish for two generations. My opinion is they wanted to be part of the establishment and by becoming Christian, they believe that goal was accomplished. As the article notes, even before then, they did not want to seem “too Jewish” and wanted to be seen as upper class and part of the establishment of NYC.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NYT has more easily accessible online content, imo, especially relating to arts, style food. WaPo has some political reporting and commentary I like and trust, but if I needed to eliminate one, I’d keep the Times.

I read the New York Times for the latest news but also for the book reviews, especially in the Sunday edition. And the Entertainment section, especially the Broadway news (before covid19,). In 1959 and 1960, I realized tickets to "Gypsy' and "The Sound of Music" were only a ittle more

expensive thann going to the movies Note:. Not any more!!

I'm all for the online sites. 1) ProPublica 2) Talking Points Memo (liberal) 3) Raw Story (clickbait liberal) 4) Hit And Run (libertarian) 5) Naked Capitalism (economic) 6) The Unz report (economic +) 7) The Bulwark (conservative) 8) American Spectator ( conservative) and 9) Reddit for their world news and futurology sub-reddits. I also subscribe to the NYT and totally respect Radley Balko's work for the Washington Post.

The idea that the NY Times is antisemitic is ludicrous. Many of their reporters are Jewish and they have a huge following among New York Jews. Granted, over time errors can be made, but again, over time, it's clear that the paper is fair to Jews.

From the multiple specific examples I have given (and could list more), there seems to be among the editors a built in anti-Jewish bias in both the stories they fail to present, the stories they do present and how those stories are presented.

“Errors” like the cartoon they ran shows they are oblivious to antisemitism; they just didn’t see it. “Errors” like publishing a favorable, glowing story on Louis Farrakhan without mentioning his rabid antisemitism and hate is like praising Hitler for building the autobahn but overlooking WWII and the Nazi horrors. “Errors” like the antisemitism in the workplace that went unaddressed that Bari Weiss wrote about. Sorry, after a while the “errors” show a pattern of antisemitism.

From my Jewish friends and reading both the Jewish press stories and others, the feeling that the paper is antisemitic and unfair to Jews (that I documented in post #20) is not ludicrous. What is ludicrous is ignoring a clear pattern and waving away what it clearly shows.

“Errors” like publishing a favorable, glowing story on Louis Farrakhan without mentioning his rabid antisemitism and hate is like praising Hitler for building the autobahn but overlooking WWII and the Nazi horrors.

He's a terrible person. Also, didn't the link you posted the other day say it was a Farrakhan Op/Ed? That's much much much much much much much much much different from an article. If it was an Op/Ed it is reckless to call it an article "about" him, you shouldn't do that. If it was an article about him and not an Op/Ed I apologize for not reading that link as closely as I should have. --RH

From the multiple specific examples I have given (and could list more), there seems to be among the editors a built in anti-Jewish bias in both the stories they fail to present, the stories they do present and how those stories are presented.

“Errors” like the cartoon they ran shows they are oblivious to antisemitism; they just didn’t see it. “Errors” like publishing a favorable, glowing story on Louis Farrakhan without mentioning his rabid antisemitism and hate is like praising Hitler for building the autobahn but overlooking WWII and the Nazi horrors. “Errors” like the antisemitism in the workplace that went unaddressed that Bari Weiss wrote about. Sorry, after a while the “errors” show a pattern of antisemitism.

From my Jewish friends and reading both the Jewish press stories and others, the feeling that the paper is antisemitic and unfair to Jews (that I documented in post #20) is not ludicrous. What is ludicrous is ignoring a clear pattern and waving away what it clearly shows.

@bigjoey, you Quoted your friends being disgusted with New York Mayor Bill De Blasio quite recently as well.

Isn't it irrelevant on a public Forum, given we have no idea who your friends are?

As a Canadian, the only US publication I read daily is the NYT.

20 years ago, when I was spending my winters in Miami, I also read the WSJ daily and other US publications Like the Miami Herald. After the financial meltdown in 2008, I lost interest in the WSJ as an apologist for Wall St.

To balance my reading. I also listened to NPR on a daily basis. Today I only listen to it a few times a week.

My political leanings are liberal but I do try to listen to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity sometimes, just to hear what the other side is saying undiluted.

My television viewing has ended as on March as my old TV set died during the pandemic and when the shops were open again I had lost interest in the endless news about Trump’s latest outrages.

I’ve never detected anti-semitism in the NYT, as opposed to criticism of the government of Israel and its policies, which is fair game and should not be conflated with anti-semitism. Of course, there may have been specific articles that contained an anti-Semitic tone but forgive me if I do not read every article. There is simply not enough time in my otherwise busy days.

I grew up in a WASP family but became familiar with Jewish people at university, law school, and in my professional life. I made friends with them as easily as with other people of different backgrounds than my own.

Here in Canada we live in a multi-cultural society and strive to be open to everyone. Of course there is intolerance here too, as in the US. The important thing is to keep people accountable for what they say and do and to speak up when it crosses the line.

He's a terrible person. Also, didn't the link you posted the other day say it was a Farrakhan Op/Ed? That's much much much much much much much much much different from an article. If it was an Op/Ed it is reckless to call it an article "about" him, you shouldn't do that. If it was an article about him and not an Op/Ed I apologize for not reading that link as closely as I should have. --RH

Yes, I should have been more clear. Sorry.

BUT, when Senator Tom Cotton wrote an op/Ed the Times published that did not sit well with its liberal staff, heads rolled and the paper attached a note in the digital edition about the op/Ed.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/12/media/new-york-times-bret-stephens-tom-cotton-op-ed/index.html

That same standard was not applied to the Louis Farrakhan piece that praised him. Part of the double standard at the Times: the Cotton piece makes black staffers uncomfortable so heads roll for publishing it and it gets a note attached to the digital edition. A Farrakhan piece that makes Jewish staff uncomfortable stands and no heads roll. The Times finds Louis Farrakhan more acceptable than Senator Cotton.?

@BnaC may not have been to Japan I have.

You’re right, but I’ve been to Benihana. Did you know Benihana was started in 1964 when LBJ was president. So many good things came about when LBJ was president.

oops, it happened again. ;)

That same standard was not applied to the Louis Farrakhan piece that praised him. Part of the double standard at the Times: the Cotton piece makes black staffers uncomfortable so heads roll for publishing it and it gets a note attached to the digital edition. A Farrakhan piece that makes Jewish staff uncomfortable stands and no heads roll. The Times finds Louis Farrakhan more acceptable than Senator Cotton.?

Given what an OpEd is, they should not have appended either piece.

I like the reporting of the Wall Street Journal, but I cringe every time I see the editorial and opinion pages.

I like the Wall Street Journal for the news as well. They cover many stories I do not see elsewhere. Their business news is very good.

I glance at the editorials and columnists to get a full range of opinions that contrast to other outlets. In addition they run op/Ed’s that do not match the paper’s editorial views.

Reading a wide variety of sources keeps one from being in an echo chamber.