2021 Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver
This topic is 1126 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've been considering the PS weekend for a couple months. It sounds so fun! Although I'm not sure I'll be vaccinated by then, I had covid a few months ago and still have antibodies. Does that classify me as safe enough to attend?

Edited by SlimJim

I've said it many time before and I'll say it again -- deviled eggs are disgusting. I'll never really understand why my mother insisted on teaching me to make them when she knew perfectly well that I hated them.

Because she knew people and she knew that besides whatever other wonderful traits you may have people will always speak highly of you if you can make a delicious deviled egg.

Edited by TruthBTold

I've been considering the PS weekend for a couple months. It sounds so fun! Although I'm not sure I'll be vaccinated by then, I had covid a few months ago and still have antibodies. Does that classify me as safe enough to attend?

Good morning. Did you do the isolation period when you first found you had it? If you did you should be fine. From what I was told that sometimes it takes awhile for the antibodies to disappear even though you do not have the symptoms.

Good morning. Did you do the isolation period when you first found you had it? If you did you should be fine. From what I was told that sometimes it takes awhile for the antibodies to disappear even though you do not have the symptoms.

Yep - I isolated for a few weeks and recuperated well. Antibodies should do the same thing that vaccine does. That's why I feel I should still be safe to socialize even though I don't have the vaccine yet. But the experts don't know how long the antibodies can benefit you. They said I should be able to count on them for 3 months, but that was 4 months ago. :confused:

Edited by SlimJim

I'm in the same boat. I had Covid back in May, but was on the fence for attending since I doubt I'll be vaccinated. But then a couple of weeks ago I took another antibody test and it showed I still have antibodies, even nine months after the initial infection.

My understanding is reinfection is extremely rare. But I don't want to throw caution to the wind. I talked it over with my husband, who was infected at the same time as me, and he said he was fine with me attending. Also my 85-year old parents have now had their second shots of the vaccine, so I'm less concerned about getting them sick. Plus where I live mask wearing is still mandated pretty much everywhere, so that protection is still there.

This could easily be its own conversation, and there have been lots of discussion elsewhere on the forum so I hope it does not hijack this thread. But I wanted to share my risk assessment and my thoughts on deciding to attend.

Looks like I was able to get that third night on Sunday at the Canyon Club, so I am in for all the wonderful weekend events. I am curious how far it takes to get to Joshua Tree NP? I have a national parks pass and might check it out for a bit on Saturday or possibly Sunday morning.

It is about an hour's drive. Be sure to check the opening time.

https://legacy.alamo.com/en_US/scenic-route/things-to-do-joshua-tree-palm-springs.html

It looks like it's open 24-hours which is interesting. Well I do have a NP parks pass so if there is anyone who'd like to see it as well, I am happy to take it my car.

Yes, I was misled. The Visitor Center is not open 24 hours, but open most of the day.

While people who have had Cvid are generally not being given the vaccine until three months after the symptoms resolve, most agree that antibodies to Cvid seem to last longer than that. You could get an antibody test and use that as a guide to whether you feel that your safety and the safety of others is not compromised. Attending does not mean you cannot wear a mask or socially distance for all or most of the festivities. In fact, in the past I have found wearing a mask to enhance encounters, Welll more like a hood than as mask, but I digress.

So it looks like I should be getting my vaccine before then, so I am now almost positively going to go as this weekend happens to coincide with my spring break. Should I book Canyon Club? You're right the prices really aren't too bad.

I've stayed at both Canyon Club and Inndulge. Canyon club is much cheaper, but Inndulge is much nicer. Last year I lost about $600 to Inndulge due to their restrictive cancellation policy, COVID notwithstanding. I seem to remember that Canyon Club is more flexible. Since this year is still a little iffy, it may be the safer choice. My vaccinations are both scheduled for March, but one never knows. Also, I would predict a smaller group this year due to circumstances, so Canyon Club may have more participants staying there perhaps. I've been in seclusion for a year and badly need to go somewhere, but not without my shots.

I'll be offering my usual hiking options around 8:30 or 9 each morning that weekend before it gets too hot......couple hours, nothing too rough, but it'll be a decent cardio workout.....maybe we'll see the shirtless local fireman on the Bump And Grind Trail again!

Hiker-Rescue.jpg

trail-860x642.jpg

A decent cardio workout would kill me. Look forward to seeing you anyway.

I

I've stayed at both Canyon Club and Inndulge. Canyon club is much cheaper, but Inndulge is much nicer. Last year I lost about $600 to Inndulge due to their restrictive cancellation policy, COVID notwithstanding. I seem to remember that Canyon Club is more flexible. Since this year is still a little iffy, it may be the safer choice. My vaccinations are both scheduled for March, but one never knows. Also, I would predict a smaller group this year due to circumstances, so Canyon Club may have more participants staying there perhaps. I've been in seclusion for a year and badly need to go somewhere, but not without my shots.

@Despardo - FYI - I contacted Inndulge and they agreed to credit my current April 2021 reservation from my last years non-refundable deposit. Last years reservations deposit was essential for 2 nights on a 4 night reservation. When I cancelled last year, they offered two options - 3 free nights during June - August or 1 free night in Sept -November. I wasn't able to travel last year, so I asked for credit on my April 2021 stay. They agreed. Their policy is not as generous as other properties, but I didn't lose everything from last year.

Also, for reservations prior to May 15, 2021 they are using a 14 day cancellation policy. That's significantly different from last year which I assume is due to the Coachella event.

Edited by jrhoutex

According to the CynClub website they have nothing available for any dates. Sounds like a glitch. Will call them tomorrow. Inndulge has rooms starting at $932.98 including taxes and fees for a 4 night stay (what I looked for.) They are offering a 14 day cancellation window which is good.

@Despardo - FYI - I contacted Inndulge and they agreed to credit my current April 2021 reservation from my last years non-refundable deposit. Last years reservations deposit was essential for 2 nights on a 4 night reservation. When I cancelled last year, they offered two options - 3 free nights during June - August or 1 free night in Sept -November. I wasn't able to travel last year, so I asked for credit on my April 2021 stay. They agreed. Their policy is not as generous as other properties, but I didn't lose everything from last year.

Also, for reservations prior to May 15, 2021 they are using a 14 day cancellation policy. That's significantly different from last year which I assume is due to the Coachella event.

Wow, thanks! Same thing exactly they offered me when I cancelled last year. I will book if they will credit me the deposit from last year.

I was able to get reservations at Canyon Club for the weekend. Definitely a lot cheaper than Inndulge, so that's what I went for. Maybe someday I'll have the budget for both some wonderful guys and a wonderful hotel, but not yet, haha.

I actually had to extend my stay by a day and did it over the phone. They were very attentive and if you're having issues with the web site, I recommend calling.

Inndulge offered me a free night based on my lost deposit from last year. I like the place a lot, so I booked 4 nights for this year. It is about $100 a night more than Canyon Club (also a good choice.)

Also, the cancellation policy at Inndulge has been reduced from 40 days out to 14 days out. Much more flexible this year.