Any feedback on Tesla Model 3 automobiles?

Antonio1981

9 minutes ago, BSR said:

LOL, I asked @MikeBiDude why he likes his Tesla so much because I've seen a big increase in their numbers on my local streets.  5 years ago, spotting a Tesla was like seeing a Rolls-Royce.  Today, I see them all the time.  Obviously people like them.  I was just curious about why exactly.

It’s a very quiet drive. I like the tech… I have the autopilot option and find it fun….self steering is relaxing if a bit disconcerting at first. Tesla’s navigation/GPS is spot on (far better than Uber Eats and Instacart!) I put  a 220V/40amp charger in my garage…which my local municipal utility gave me a $500 rebate for. I’ve not seen a noticeable increase in utility bills with the Tesla and also a Chevy Volt plugged into the house.

I’m not rich.

11 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

What a foolish, sad comment. 

We're talking an X... Not an Bentyaga. 

"foolish, sad comment"?  Maybe it was just a joke.  At least that's the way I took it.

A base model Tesla 3 with self-steering but no other options is $55,000, top of the line & loaded is $69,000.  No, not a Bentayga, or even a Mercedes S Class, but not a Toyota Corolla either. 

Edited by BSR
Oops! meant Model 3, not X - the X starts at almost $100K

8 hours ago, BSR said:

"foolish, sad comment"?  Maybe it was just a joke.  At least that's the way I took it.

A base model Tesla X with self-steering but no other options is $55,000, top of the line & loaded is $69,000.  No, not a Bentayga, or even a Mercedes S Class, but not a Toyota Corolla either. 

Yes, of course it was a joke. You displayed something called common sense.

9 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

What a foolish, sad comment. 

We're talking an X... Not an Bentyaga. 

What's foolish and sad is wasting time calling a comment foolish and sad, especially a comment that was not directed at you.

As suggested above, "expensive" and "rich" are relative terms. So you might think that buying a model X doesn't suggest someone is "rich", but someone else can think that buying a model X suggests someone is "rich". I hope that venting that nasty comment, whic doesn't even make a point that invalidates my post/joke, made you feel better about whatever issues you had going on yesterday.

8 hours ago, WilliamM said:

He is one of the nicest people here.

I know. And my comment didn't say anything to the contrary in any case.

Edited by thedanNYC
revision

11 hours ago, BSR said:

A base model Tesla X with self-steering but no other options is $55,000, top of the line & loaded is $69,000.  No, not a Bentayga, or even a Mercedes S Class, but not a Toyota Corolla either. 

A joke usually involves an actual punchline. 

I'd have used a smiley to indicate. 

2 hours ago, thedanNYC said:

As suggested above, "expensive" and "rich" are relative terms. So you might think that buying a model X doesn't suggest someone is "rich", but someone else can think that buying a model X suggests someone is "rich". I hope that venting that nasty comment, whic doesn't even make a point that invalidates my post/joke, made you feel better about whatever issues you had going on yesterday.

Oops, sorry about the typo in my previous post.  I meant Tesla Model 3, not X.  The 3 w/self-driving is $55-69K depending on drivetrain & options.  The Model X starts at almost $100K.

I am interested in a Tesla or another EV as my next car.  I drive a 2017 Prius, get terrific gas mileage - up to 60 mpg on freeway trips.  Very happy with it, especially with the current inflation of gas prices, and plan to keep it awhile.  Waiting to see if the concerns with Tesla are worked out, what its EV competition will be like when I’m ready, and what electric rates will be.  Electricity in the Coachella Valley, where I live, is quite expensive.  But so are gas prices.  California gas is usually a dollar or so higher than the national average.

@Charlie’s story about the Tesla stranded on the I-10 speaks to my fears about insufficient range on the open road away from urban areas, but it also speaks to Tesla’s reputation for taking care of its customers, a reputation I would like to hear more about, both positive and otherwise.

Edited by BgMstr4u

Internal combustion engines and drivetrains are much more complex than electrics and so the cost of electrics should start down. Also, the simplicity will bring more competitors. I think Telsa assumes they will stay more expensive and I can't imagine that for long. The Chinese are already making $5000 electrics and all the European companies are going all-electric. The new Infrastructure bill has huge subsidies for Big 3- US unionized companies' electrics (ie: not Tesla). 

Personally I don't care if a car runs on cow piss, I'm more interested in Auto-Pilot asap.

Good points, Tasso.  Given the greater simplicity of electrics, why are they so much more expensive?  Is it the rare earth metals in the batteries?  Are the car companies jumping up the prices to reflect the subsidies?  is it a new technology that hasn’t yet hit mass production pricing?  It’s easy to go demagogic on these questions, either from the right (it’s the fault of government policy) or the left (greedy companies) but I wonder if these cars are really overpriced.  Or are the cheap Chinese cars underpriced to grab market share? 

14 minutes ago, BgMstr4u said:

is it a new technology that hasn’t yet hit mass production pricing?  

Bingo. But since hybrids like mine have been around for many years (also like mine) with no big added expense for the drive battery, I doubt the battery tech is the stall or expense. Once a factory is up and running the 1-millionth or 2 millionth just marginally cost the raw materials, electricity used and labor (and labor's mostly robots now anyway). 

14 hours ago, thedanNYC said:

Yes, of course it was a joke. You displayed something called common sense.

What's foolish and sad is wasting time calling a comment foolish and sad, especially a comment that was not directed at you.

I know. And my comment didn't say anything to the contrary in any case.

Pot, meet kettle came to mind.

Edited by E.T.Bass

16 hours ago, tassojunior said:

Internal combustion engines and drivetrains are much more complex than electrics and so the cost of electrics should start down. Also, the simplicity will bring more competitors. I think Telsa assumes they will stay more expensive and I can't imagine that for long. The Chinese are already making $5000 electrics and all the European companies are going all-electric. The new Infrastructure bill has huge subsidies for Big 3- US unionized companies' electrics (ie: not Tesla). 

Personally I don't care if a car runs on cow piss, I'm more interested in Auto-Pilot asap.

Because of their complexity, internal combustion engines are more costly for the owner to maintain than electrics, but I'm not sure that they are more costly to produce, once the mass manufacturing is ramped up to the same degree. However, I recently read an interesting commentary on the danger of the US becoming too dependent on producing EVs, whose energy source comes from batteries whose components have to be imported from countries (especially China) which are potential enemies. I have owned a couple of Priuses in the past, and although they were not my favorite cars, I would consider buying that kind of hybrid rather than a plug-in hybrid or an all-electric car.

• 1 year later...

Dude, where’s my Tesla?

Two Canadian Tesla drivers found themselves in a startling mix-up after their apps allowed them to mistakenly enter and take off in each other’s look-alike cars, according to a report.

Rajesh Randev, 51, used his app to get into what he thought was his white 2021 Model-3 Tesla in a parking spot in Vancouver last Tuesday and left around 2:30 p.m. to pick up his children from school, he told NBC News.

Randev, an immigration consultant, became concerned when just minutes into the trip he noticed a new crack in the windshield that hadn’t been there earlier that day.

He also noticed that his phone charger was missing.

A short time later, 32-year-old Mahmoud Esaeyh used his app to get into what he believed to be his white 2020 Model-3. Esaeyh, an Uber driver, drove a block before realizing the car was not his, he told NBC.

“It was the only white Tesla on the block, and the car opened. But when I drove away, I noticed that something was different about the car,” Esaeyh said. “There was stuff inside that wasn’t mine. I have a crack in the windshield that wasn’t there.”

Esaeyh turned around and returned to the parking spot where he’d found the car. He called the police, fearing that he’d be accused of stealing the car.

“Maybe someone calls the cops, ‘Hey my car is stolen’ and I’d get in big trouble,” he said.

“Or what would have happened had he taken my car and committed a crime or stole something, that car would have all my information.”

Esaeyh found some medical records and a prescription inside the car with Randev’s phone number and called the stranger. Randev, however, declined to immediately answer calls from a number he didn’t recognize.

“Do you drive a Tesla?” Esaeyh wrote in a text message to Randev,  sparking his attention after multiple “please text me requests” went unanswered, NBC reported.

“I thought maybe some client saw me or maybe some old friend or whatever maybe someone recognized me (driving by) and texted me?” Randev said.

“Who is this?" Randev responded.

“I think you are driving the wrong car,” Esaeyh wrote back.

Randev pulled into an alleyway and saw that the rims on the car he was driving were a different from his 2021 Model-3.

“I was totally surprised,” Randev said. “I mean how was this possible? How was I able to gain access and drive?”

Randev picked up his kids and drove back to where he’d gotten into the wrong car. He, his kids and Esaeyh laughed over the mistake.

“They (the children) were laughing together. I mean my kids are young people so they love computers and stuff like that and they were laughing,” Randev said.

“But then on the other side, they were kind of scared too, you know, like how was this possible?”

Both men had called the Vancouver police separately but neither filed a formal report.

Esaeyh told NBC that for him, his Tesla is the essential part of his livelihood.

“It’s my only income,” he said. “That’s how I make money and pay for my rent.”

The Post reached out to Tesla Tuesday night for comment.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/14/2-tesla-drivers-take-off-in-each-others-cars-in-mix-up/

One day eons ago, my uncle left his apartment and drove to work.  A little while later his wife called him at his store. (This is when they were both still alive.)  She asked him how he got to work and he told her he drove.  She asked why their car was still in the spot where he'd parked it the day before.  Apparently there were 2 brown Chevy Impalas in the neighborhood and the door and ignition keys worked on both.