What do we know about when and how Montreal clubs will reopen?

newatthis

@Stock Bar Montreal (and others if they have reliable information): are you getting any hints from the city or provincial governments about when Montreal strip clubs will be allowed to reopen?

And what kind of precautions might be put in place when that reopening happens, both in the club and for lap dances? Will there even be lap dances? Thanks!

As far as dates, what we know is there is no planned or even tentative timeline set for bars in Quebec. Restaurants, and bars/clubs with licensed kitchens, are able to open today in Quebec and June 22nd in Montreal with the regulations (density, spacing, hygiene) one would expect. I suppose the coronavirus daily rate will be closely monitored prior to any future additional openings in the venue hierarchy.

BTW, Le 281 male stripper club for women was already slated to close September 1st as I believe the building was sold to a developer. This may eventually draw more business to “ladies nights” in our usual haunts. I cannot imagine anyone taking the risk to pump money into a new venue.

@newatthis @SirBIllybob seems to have answered your question.

Thanks to both of you. Those are things I already knew (should have said so :oops:) from reading your local papers. I was wondering whether you, as a bar owner, might be hearing rumors or speculation from trustworthy non-public sources.

This is just my pathetic attempt to reinforce a hope that my August trip will happen....

As far as being able to travel Canada is concerned, I don't see travel restrictions, at least without a mandatory quarantine regime, being lifted for months.

Australia does not expect to reopen its borders to international travellers until 2021.

As far as being able to travel Canada is concerned, I don't see travel restrictions, at least without a mandatory quarantine regime, being lifted for months.

I tend to agree with you. Hard to imagine any casual tourism being allowed to go into Canada this summer. Maybe October and onward depending on whether there is a second wave or not.

Canada is not centring out the USA. It’s just that we share a border, so that restriction seems more pronounced. No foreign national can easily enter at this time, and qualified arrivals still quarantine for 2 weeks and must have special dispensation for a brief visit, but there are flights into Canada with qualified passengers from countries reporting cases.

I note that Qatar is in the top 2 nations trending the worst in new cases adjusted for population, along with Chile, yet a flight arrives in Montreal from Doha on Monday. Perhaps it is a rare repatriation situation.

Granted, a better picture in the USA may have otherwise lead to an earlier border opening. What is unclear is whether overseas foreign nationals will be greenlit for entry based on a hierarchy of demonstrated pandemic management, pending airline resumption. Unlike Europe, there is no set of contiguous nations reciprocally opening borders as a large collective.

Edited by SirBIllybob

The province’s public health spokesperson actually indicated “strip clubs too” according to the Montreal Gazette. Understandably, lap dances were not specifically mentioned ... that would contradict the intent of protective measures.

The guidelines appear to be: no dance-floor dancing; stick to seating with minimal milling/circulating; seating together in a group is restricted to members of the same household (ie, family members or other co-occupants of the same home); otherwise, 2-metre physical distancing but wearing a mask if that cannot be accommodated; ample hand sanitation, etc.

The above simply represents pointers I have lifted from my reading. I could not find an official document on measures. Obviously, there will be some ambiguity. Waiting to eliminate grey areas would have taken forever.

Quebec has also elected to report pandemic figures every Thursday as opposed to daily. Composite federal tallies will therefore be more accurate each Thursday/Friday.

I went to one of the major grocery chain stores downtown Montreal. Very few people wore a mask compared to earlier in the pandemic, the control of customer density seemed to be relaxed, and many ‘pinch points’ in the aisles made distancing impossible.

Edited by SirBIllybob

The province’s public health spokesperson actually indicated “strip clubs too” according to the Montreal Gazette. Understandably, lap dances were not specifically mentioned ... that would contradict the intent of protective measures.

The guidelines appear to be: no dance-floor dancing; stick to seating with minimal milling/circulating; seating together in a group is restricted to members of the same household (ie, family members or other co-occupants of the same home); otherwise, 2-metre physical distancing but wearing a mask if that cannot be accommodated; ample hand sanitation, etc.

The above simply represents pointers I have lifted from my reading. I could not find an official document on measures. Obviously, there will be some ambiguity. Waiting to eliminate grey areas would have taken forever.

Quebec has also elected to report pandemic figures every Thursday as opposed to daily. Composite federal tallies will therefore be more accurate each Thursday/Friday.

I went to one of the major grocery chain stores downtown Montreal. Very few people wore a mask compared to earlier in the pandemic, the control of customer density seemed to be relaxed, and many ‘pinch points’ in the aisles made distancing impossible.

@Stock Bar Montreal, in the light of the many restrictions reported by @SirBIllybob, what will the Stock experience be like when you re-open? Will masks be required? Will the tables be spaced 2 meters apart? Will people be allowed to stand at the bar?

And what kinds of interactions will be allowed between customers and dancers? Will the cabines even be open?

Since respirological aerosols represent the greatest transmission vector, one’s face at crotch level, with verbal interaction minimal to none, seems to be theoretically no greater risk than social chatting in a bar’s common area. People traffic movement yields greater exposure than isolated one-to-one.

Edited by SirBIllybob

Today’s probability of at least one potentially contagious person in a gathering of 50 is .8%; gathering of 100 is 1.7%, based on absolute reported rolling average province case tally. Based on estimated true community infection prevalence (arbitrary multiple 10-fold), is 8.2% among 50 people and 15.6% among 100 people.

Edited by SirBIllybob

Since respirological aerosols represent the greatest transmission vector, one’s face at crotch level, with verbal interaction minimal to none, seems to be theoretically no greater risk than social chatting in a bar’s common area. People traffic movement yields greater exposure than isolated one-to-one.

Unfortunately (or fortunately? ;)), that's not my only or favorite mode of interaction...