COVID-19 has killed the day pass pool visits

Smurof
This topic is 1452 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A great many hotel properties that used to offer non-hotel guests an opportunity to visit without having a reservation are now gone.

"For reasons of health and safety, all guests on property must be registered guests only." is what I'm seeing nearly everywhere.

There were only few places in Vegas I could sun without a room, and Palm Springs had many. These are truly disappointing times in the 2020s.

A great many hotel properties that used to offer non-hotel guests an opportunity to visit without having a reservation are now gone.

"For reasons of health and safety, all guests on property must be registered guests only." is what I'm seeing nearly everywhere.

There were only few places in Vegas I could sun without a room, and Palm Springs had many. These are truly disappointing times in the 2020s.

I guess it's all property by property!

Nothing like that on Marriott.

https://clean.marriott.com/

What about folks visiting a guest? Would that be next?

Edited by marylander1940

That’s too bad ?I once met a fun kid who was in the Army, on a Vegas locals day-pass at the Mandalay Spa. We used the facilities and bumped into each other on/off during the afternoon and chatted...ultimately deciding to take it upstairs to my room. So yeah....I a fan of day passes! ?

That’s too bad ?I once met a fun kid who was in the Army, on a Vegas locals day-pass at the Mandalay Spa. We used the facilities and bumped into each other on/off during the afternoon and chatted...ultimately deciding to take it upstairs to my room. So yeah....I a fan of day passes! ?

I never thought this thread would evolve into stories about alleged hook ups/hires !

I'm glad hotels are putting safety over profits, I guess they do it to make social distancing more likely to happen but at the end it's up to us to do it.

To take a momentary trip out on a tangent, I met a gentleman a couple of days ago here in Canberra. He texted me the details of the hotel where he was staying at about lunch time. I did a quick calculation of how to get there, what with parking or taxis and quickly decided to book a room in the same hotel rather than run the gauntlet of getting to and from the meeting. I didn't intend to, and didn't, see him for anything other than our intended time together (it went well, thanks for asking), but it was a relaxing way to spend the time before and after the meeting. It only cost me $AU100. Back to the issue raised in this thread, booking a room in these hotels might not be much more expensive than a day pass right now, so if you want to use the other facilities, why not do that?

A hotel stay is at a minimum triple the cost of a hotel room, and day passes never (o.k. never say never, so rarely) leave a trace of your whereabouts like a hotel stay does. Showing valid I.D. to get in and taking the day as it goes is my preference, and I'm sure is for many others, too.

I'm glad hotels are putting safety over profits, I guess they do it to make social distancing more likely to happen but at the end it's up to us to do it.

I'm guessing it is a bit of both safety and long-term profits. The reputational risk of a COVID-19 outbreak caused by a non-registered guest could be huge, and the expenses of appropriately screening customers for a day pass are probably a break-even prospect at best.

Sure you don't have the tracking feature, but I'm surprised as a local you don't try to work the comps system now that every dollar you spend, even for food or something at the gift shop, counts for tier credits. Once you get to a tier the discounts start to really add up. And right now they are throwing offers at people with any sort of status.