More interesting data regarding Covid

This topic is 1173 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This study was done on human tissues outside of the body and not actually in any human trials, but the outcomes were so positive that they are going to begin human trials soon....

That's way, way beyond showing any efficacy in real life. Extremely premature. Nice if it works, but pretty speculative at this point.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's way, way beyond showing any efficacy in real life. Extremely premature. Nice if it works, but pretty speculative at this point.

I agree..but in many ways these researchers are doing a similar thing that happened with remdesvir. They are understanding more and more about the mechanism of the way COVID harms the body and finding drugs that can combat it. At first by using artificial intelligence and data mining to look for promising drugs, testing them in human tissues and then in humans themselves. I would say it's more that speculation, but I would also agree that it would be premature to say that this will work in actual humans with COVID.

I can’t understand why folks lead with the negative on COVID. Are we afraid to be hopeful?

I think there is lots of hope in the work that scientists are doing around both treatments and potential vaccines. The cry of defeat coming from the White Houses, concerning any sort of coordinated plan to implement a national testing, tracing and treatment strategy, is where the negativity comes from. There is some amazing scientific work going on, in spite of the work Pence/Kushner/Trump/McConnell in Washington.

However, it might be enough to have some doctors prescribe it “off label” depending on circumstances.

The cry of defeat coming from the White Houses

Not sure what defeat you’re hearing. I only hear that we’re doing a tremendous job. There’s delusion coming from the WH, not defeat.

I’m not talking of the hope of scientists. I’m talking of hope from people who are pseudo-experts – like those on this forum. Some hopeful headline comes out or some hopeful story, and we talk about it couched in uncertainty and failure A drastically bad headline comes out and we accept that’s the way of things, no uncertainty there! That’s hopeless pessimism.

Not sure what defeat you’re hearing. I only hear that we’re doing a tremendous job. There’s delusion coming from the WH, not defeat.

I’m not talking of the hope of scientists. I’m talking of hope from people who are pseudo-experts – like those on this forum. Some hopeful headline comes out or some hopeful story, and we talk about it couched in uncertainty and failure A drastically bad headline comes out and we accept that’s the way of things, no uncertainty there! That’s hopeless pessimism.

There is an answer, but it doesn't belong in this thread.

There is an answer, but it doesn't belong in this thread.

We’re discussing matters around “info” on Covid. I point out that new info on Covid is rarely met with hopefulness. I’m not sure why you would think it doesn’t belong in this thread…How we respond to the news about Covid – good, bad, or ugly – is absolutely what this thread is about. There’s been ample pontification in this thread that is questionably in this thread, but a criticism of how we consume the news around Covid is most definitely appropriate to a thread devoted to new information on Covid.

We’re discussing matters around “info” on Covid. I point out that new info on Covid is rarely met with hopefulness. I’m not sure why you would think it doesn’t belong in this thread…How we respond to the news about Covid – good, bad, or ugly – is absolutely what this thread is about. There’s been ample pontification in this thread that is questionably in this thread, but a criticism of how we consume the news around Covid is most definitely appropriate to a thread devoted to new information on Covid.

I'm just acknowledging that sometimes I cross the line from 'lounge news' and the 'politics forum.' The science gets overwhelmed sometimes by the nature of USA politics I think. Even when there is something interesting/hopeful scientifically new, it can be buried, I suspect, by the current realities of life in the USA.

At the moment, the nature of the current events surrounding Covid, with the US leading the world on cases and deaths, and our extremely political response, especially in some corners of the country, it’s near impossible to avoid discussing the science in political terms.

Humanity is inherently a political creature anyhow. To think we can talk about our collective lives outside of politics is stupid. Everything about collective life is politics. The question isn’t so much if you’re going to discuss politics but rather if you’re going to attack someone for their politics. Those are distinctive. That we need a separate forum for “hot button” issues in this place is telling. People are unable to a) engage in discussion without resorting to attacks and b) people are too easily butthurt if they are challenged or attacked.

Angela Merkel, for instance, has made political remarks concerning the Covid response that are clearly directed at the United States. That’s only one example. But given we don’t live in a nicely compartmentalized world where each thing has its own time in the spotlight, rather we live in a world of intersectionality (e.g. science and politics interplay), we need to consider the political implications of how people choose to respond to the virus when discussing the science of the virus. Maskwearing is an example. It’s become political. In some places, wearing a mask is a sign of allegiance to Trump; in others, it’s a sign of “belief in science” (as if science were a belief system). Either way, when projections etc. are made for the virus and its spread through populations, the politics will affect that. It’s silliness to think that politics is NOT part of the dataset. It’s really a matter of how you choose to engage in conversation around it.

At the moment, the nature of the current events surrounding Covid, with the US leading the world on cases and deaths, and our extremely political response, especially in some corners of the country, it’s near impossible to avoid discussing the science in political terms.

Humanity is inherently a political creature anyhow. To think we can talk about our collective lives outside of politics is stupid. Everything about collective life is politics. The question isn’t so much if you’re going to discuss politics but rather if you’re going to attack someone for their politics. Those are distinctive. That we need a separate forum for “hot button” issues in this place is telling. People are unable to a) engage in discussion without resorting to attacks and b) people are too easily butthurt if they are challenged or attacked.

Angela Merkel, for instance, has made political remarks concerning the Covid response that are clearly directed at the United States. That’s only one example. But given we don’t live in a nicely compartmentalized world where each thing has its own time in the spotlight, rather we live in a world of intersectionality (e.g. science and politics interplay), we need to consider the political implications of how people choose to respond to the virus when discussing the science of the virus. Maskwearing is an example. It’s become political. In some places, wearing a mask is a sign of allegiance to Trump; in others, it’s a sign of “belief in science” (as if science were a belief system). Either way, when projections etc. are made for the virus and its spread through populations, the politics will affect that. It’s silliness to think that politics is NOT part of the dataset. It’s really a matter of how you choose to engage in conversation around it.

You'll have to excuse me. I am grumpy at the moment because, I am currently fighting with my printer, and its drivers, and I am losing. :(

Bad news, as if we needed any more...Israel reports a doctor who had Covid and recovered has been reinfected.

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-doctor-reinfected-with-coronavirus-3-months-after-recovering-635550

This isn't the first case of reinfection that I have heard of. My question is: Are the symptoms felt by those who have been reinfected the same as before, more severe or less severe?

People get hopeful when news breaks of a promising treatment or a vaccine. But having seen the failure of our leaders, both in Congress and the White House to battle with this pandemic, hope can be hard to find. Why are doctors still facing shortages of protective equipment? Why are we not ready for the surge to come? We have had months to prepare, but all we get is talk.

People get hopeful when news breaks of a promising treatment or a vaccine. But having seen the failure of our leaders, both in Congress and the White House to battle with this pandemic, hope can be hard to find. Why are doctors still facing shortages of protective equipment? Why are we not ready for the surge to come? We have had months to prepare, but all we get is talk.

I'd place the lion's share on the WH/Executive Branch. The Congress is primarily responsible for funding, but the Executive Branch has to adopt the measures and request any additional funding. Instead of doing so, we've seen the agencies (CDC notably) doing their thing, while the WH downplays the issue and engages in sniping over the measures taken by the states. Where the Congress IS at fault is the Senate's lack of interest in funding the states to make up for their additional costs due to the virus.

It’s also worth noting that, despite how it’s reported in the media, the experts have said reinfection is unlikely. What is likelier is infection resurgence after a patient appeared to have recovered. A patient’s viral count may be too low to register and they appear well, only to have the infection resurge. If reinfection were happening, the vaccine becomes moot.

Why are doctors still facing shortages of protective equipment? Why are we not ready for the surge to come? We have had months to prepare, but all we get is talk.

I say lack of will and politics. Denial by some largely. And the idea that summer was going to make it magically go away.