Best open showers NYC

JCald
This topic is 1125 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The only YMCA in ( Manhattan , Brooklyn and queens ) without dividers is at 63rd west side and Greenpoint.

Dodge is my home gym, been there 1000times , hard to argue with them ,but there are smaller blue dividers between each shower head ...

Edited by Boghdano

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only YMCA in ( Manhattan , Brooklyn and queens ) without dividers is at 63rd west side and Greenpoint.

Dodge is my home gym, been there 1000times , hard to argue with them ,but there are smaller blue dividers between each shower head ...

It’s been about a year since I’ve gone to that location, but it had those dividers when I was there. More like a typical urinal divider so it doesn’t give you total privacy. And the space is kind of small with showers facing each other. If it’s not overly busy it’s possible to be discreet and see when people are coming in/out.

• 3 months later...

It’s important to note that the Upper West Side Y also operates as a hostel and all guests have access to its extensive gym and those showers sans dividers.

The gym I attended years ago had solo shower stalls with curtains, but lots of guys left the curtains half open. One Sunday afternoon I was at my locker getting ready to shower (and full disclosure, check out the action in the steam room) and a hot guy was eyeing me from inside his shower, he moved his head in a "come on in" gesture. I slipped in unnoticed and sucked him off.

New York Athletic Club on Central Park South still has open showers, in the basement, adjacent to where the fencers and the wrestlers practice. Before the club admitted women, the dress code at the gym and in the swimming pool was naked only. I do recall they allowed sneakers in the gym though. It was a bit weird running naked on a thread mill.

Sort of reminiscent of the Roman Thermae and Baths.

New York Athletic Club on Central Park South still has open showers, in the basement, adjacent to where the fencers and the wrestlers practice. Before the club admitted women, the dress code at the gym and in the swimming pool was naked only. I do recall they allowed sneakers in the gym though. It was a bit weird running naked on a thread mill.

How long ago was that?

Really? Not even a jock strap? That could be strenuous on the low hanging fruit. :rolleyes:

Nudity and weights - living dangerously!

Before the club admitted women, the dress code at the gym and in the swimming pool was naked only. I do recall they allowed sneakers in the gym though. It was a bit weird running naked on a tread mill.

I never went to NYAC but a friend used to teach judo there (long after the nudity rules were changed). I knew that going naked was required for the swimming pool but had no idea it applied to the gym too! How about the wrestling and fencing classes? That could have been interesting to watch!!

Really? Not even a jock strap? That could be strenuous on the low hanging fruit. :rolleyes:

Yes, really. Naked. Except for sneakers, which were sort of frowned upon by some of the more macho members of the club. The idea was to recreate the ambiance of the Roman Thermae and Baths ...

Edited by BaronArtz

How long ago was that?

I joined the club's fencing team in the 1980s and have been a member ever since. The club became co-ed in 1989 after a long protracted legal battle.

"The New York Athletic Club was, for most of its history, a men’s club with the purpose to "promote manly sports." A New York City law was passed in 1984 requiring "the admission of women to large, private clubs that play an important role in business and professional life."[13] The NYAC was among a number of clubs that challenged the law as a violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guaranteeing the right to freedom of association. The case made it all the way to the United States Supreme Court where, in June, 1988 the United States Supreme Court.[14] held that the various clubs who had brought the suit were too dissimilar for the court to decide the case and remanded the case back to the District Court (this has sometimes been incorrectly reported as upholding the ban). Facing the high litigation costs of starting the case over on its own, the NYAC changed its by-laws and voluntarily admitted some female members in 1989 "

I showered in open shower rooms throughout middle and high school. We had football practice at 7 am in high school and everyone had to shower quickly to get to 2nd period on time. I even shared a shower head with friends when were running late! I never gave it a second thought.

We had a huge steamy room with shower heads on the walls along with three or four poles with nozzle heads in the middle of the room. In college, I was shocked by the modesty of some of the guys on my floor (early 80s, they got over it quicky) - also open shower rooms.

Simpler times for sure and faster shower times. I don't even know where there is an open shower room in Dallas. My gym (Lifetime Fitness) has stalls.

The old NYSC on Wall Street (since moved to Broad Street and much, much smaller) had a pretty good set up in the men's locker room downstairs--a wet area with the steam room at one end, the sauna at the other, both with glass doors, and two rows of several shower stalls facing each other in between, with fairly long curtains. Sometimes fun happened in the steam room (it was easy to watch for others coming), sometimes in the sauna (same), and sometimes it happened in one of the showers. Some guys came simply for the locker room action, wrapping a towel around themselves and strolling from the sauna to the steam room and back again, sometimes taking an occasional shower, until opportunity presented itself. Best times were between the morning, lunchtime and evening rushes, but the straight (or mostly straight, hehe) guys were very tolerant. Watched more than one guy with a wedding ring (back before gay marriage was legal) get a BJ in the steam room or sauna.

Edited by dutchal

I belonged to the NYSC on Wall Street for several years and can totally relate to @dutchal’s post! The downstairs locker room and steam/sauna areas always had activity. The Broad Street location that replaced it is not only much smaller but has no steam room or sauna (consistent with what seemed to be a growing trend at NYSC of eliminating one or both). The City Hall location continued to have both a sauna and steam room and there were opportunities for play there too (pre-pandemic), especially during “off” hours.

The City Hall location continued to have both a sauna and steam room and there were opportunities for play there too (pre-pandemic), especially during “off” hours.

Hooked up with a very hot guy on GRINDR once and we needed a place. We both belonged to NYSC, and the steam room at City Hall worked out great for us.

Some guys came simply for the locker room action, wrapping a towel around themselves and strolling from the sauna to the steam room and back again, sometimes taking an occasional shower, until opportunity presented itself.

That was often me. :-) A gym I frequented in the late 90's had co-ed sauna/steamrooms out in the pool area, but also a sauna/steamroom in each locker room. The ones in the men's locker room got a LOT of action, particularly the steamroom; they were at the very end of a row of shower stalls (which also saw significant action) so easy to keep an eye out. They finally shut them down & turned them into storage, I think because the janitor at the club was complaining a lot about it.