Ryan Murphy does it again - HOLLYWOOD.

Boy4
This topic is 1422 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it. The acting is good and there are the abundance of sexy scenes (although they tend not to be overly explicit). I don't know what the rest will be like but it reminded me of the book Full Service: My Adventures in Hollywood and the Secret Sex Lives of the Stars. Perhaps that is what it is based on and I just don't know it. The main character in the first episode is David Corenswet and he is good-looking to say the least.

IDavid-Corenswet-2.jpg

I forgot that Corenswet had been in Murphy's earlier The Politician.

David%2BCorenswet%2BBen%2BPlatt%2BThe%2BPolitician.png

Jeremy Pope also plays a sexy character and uses his body to seduce.

MV5BYTdjMzdhNzQtNzc4Yi00Yjc1LWE1OTItMDZjOTFkMWM2ZmZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU4OTE3NDM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,845,1000_AL_.jpg

Dylan McDermott, who appears to be based on the Scotty Bowers mentioned above, and Patti LaPone also appear in the first episode. Hopefully the series will be as good as the first episode.

Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it. The acting is good and there are the abundance of sexy scenes (although they tend not to be overly explicit). I don't know what the rest will be like but it reminded me of the book Full Service: My Adventures in Hollywood and the Secret Sex Lives of the Stars. Perhaps that is what it is based on and I just don't know it. The main character in the first episode is David Corenswet and he is good-looking to say the least.

IDavid-Corenswet-2.jpg

MV5BYTdjMzdhNzQtNzc4Yi00Yjc1LWE1OTItMDZjOTFkMWM2ZmZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU4OTE3NDM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,845,1000_AL_.jpg

Dylan McDermott, who appears to be based on the Scotty Bowers mentioned above, and Patti LaPone also appear in the first episode. Hopefully the series will be as good as the first episode.

Agreed!! It was sexy and very well done. Now on to second episode.

IDavid-Corenswet-2.jpg

Agreed!! It was sexy and very well done. Now on to second episode.

Saw the second and third episodes and it still held my interest. And for me introduced a lot more comic elements to it. If you have a modicum knowledge of Hollywood culture history it makes sense as it goes along. Some of the characters are fictional and introduced (I believe) to be able to weave the narrative structure that might not have been there. They all are writers, actors, or become friends. And then many, many are or represent real life Hollywood figures. But ofttimes the historical facts become slightly fiction for whatever reason. At any rate, I found many of the characters particularly comical. Jim Parsons (as Henry Wilson, Rock Hudson's somewhat sleazy agent), Patti Lupone (as Avis Amberg, the philandering wife of the head of one of the studios where many of the stars are contracted), Rob Reiner (as head of the studio, married to Lupone and himself philandering). And tons of others.

I definitely am going to continue on my journey through Hollywood. Here is Rock and the actor playing him in Hollywood.

rock-hudson-jake-picking-1588127628.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=480:*

Here is an article that gives some pics of the cast.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/inside-ryan-murphys-hollywood-a-revisionist-homage-to-golden-age-tinseltown

P.S. The only thing that I really found hard to buy is Darren Criss as a straight man. ;)

Edited by TruthBTold

I so enjoyed episode 1 and am glad I watched it. Yesterday's NY Times gave it a poor review. I think the reviewer missed a lot of its appeal. I'm not only member here who read The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson about Henry Wilson and his stable of hunks and watched Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood. This is a fun and gay-centric fictional visit to that era.

At the risk of sounding crass, given that it is going to have a big gay audience, I wish Ryan Murphy and company threw in a little gratuitous nudity. If the mavens of high culture are going to find fault anyway then give us some dick shots! :p

Henry Willson as a good guy?

I think that one of the first things to remember about Murphy's Hollywood is that it is a rather fantastical portrayal. Like real life, Willson is a somewhat layered person. Besides actually attempting to help Rock Hudson, among many actors, Willson also took advantage of him, occasionally sexually. Willson was a closeted gay person so he knew that his clients had a lot to lose and so he knew exactly how to manipulate them. At the same time as the movie shows people sacrifice a lot (morals, love, relationships) for fame. Because it seems from the movie that his clients tend to be young they obviously don't know what they will have to sacrifice but they do it all the same in the end.

However, the movie is a fantastical portrayal for many of the characters that it has onboard. They are in some ways true but in other ways things just did not happen in that way. The most obvious is Hudson. He remained closeted through out most of his career. In all likelihood he even married Willson's secretary to maintain the facade (lasted only 3 years). There was no man-to-man handholding at the Oscars.

I think that one of the first things to remember about Murphy's Hollywood is that it is a rather fantastical portrayal. Like real life, Willson is a somewhat layered person. Besides actually attempting to help Rock Hudson, among many actors, Willson also took advantage of him, occasionally sexually. Willson was a closeted gay person so he knew that his clients had a lot to lose and so he knew exactly how to manipulate them. At the same time as the movie shows people sacrifice a lot (morals, love, relationships) for fame. Because it seems from the movie that his clients tend to be young they obviously don't know what they will have to sacrifice but they do it all the same in the end.

However, the movie is a fantastical portrayal for many of the characters that it has onboard. They are in some ways true but in other ways things just did not happen in that way. The most obvious is Hudson. He remained closeted through out most of his career. In all likelihood he even married Willson's secretary to maintain the facade (lasted only 3 years). There was no man-to-man handholding at the Oscars.

Very few people had kind words for Willson. Ryan Murphy et al have played with other characters in "Hollywood," turning the owner of the gas station into a freaking hero (I haven't watched the last episode yet).

Wish they had spent more time on the plot and not the scenery. Too be fair, it is enjoyable despite some major problems.

I agree with TruthBTold and WilliamM but would add that sometimes scenery works. They did in fact do a great job of making us imagine we are in a fantasy version of post-War Hollywood. It's a nice reprieve from the pandemic.

Downton Abbey was arguably beautiful scenery and costumes with a story thrown in. Certainly the detail to scenery is a big part of the appeal of Mrs. Maisel.

Edited by Snbrd

I binged all seven hours from midnight to 7AM. Enjoyed the first 5 episodes and then 6 and 7 just got too far from the narrative. The idea that some of the things done, particularly in the last episode would ever have happened is beyond belief. I guess when you make a movie about a movie with an unhappy ending and you change the ending of that movie, you need to make your movie about the movie, which should have a poignantly sad ending, have a happy ending as well. At the least, in the last episode they could have brought back some of the naked USC football players. That way I could have had a happy ending.

I agree with TruthBTold and WilliamM but would add that sometimes scenery works. They did in fact do great job of making us imagine we are in a fantasy version of post-War Hollywood. It's a nice reprieve from the pandemic.

Downton Abbey was arguably beautiful scenery and costumes with a story thrown in. Certainly the detail to scenery is a big part of the appeal of Mrs. Maisel.

I enjoyed the film "Gosford Park" even if the murder was thrown into the plot without much thought. Hey, the film has Raymond Navarro and a cute actor (Ryan Phillippe).

I watched some interviews with the cast in which they said that from the original scripts it seemed like the show would be a lot more explicit and raunchy ("Raunchy" being a direct quote). There was even talk of fitting a couple of the male cast members with prosthetic dicks. Ultimately, the show ended up being shot to be a lot tamer than originally suggested. (Unfortunately)