"Already had Conavid..."

adventurous old guy
This topic is 1479 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I read somewhere and I'm sure this is pure speculation but the lab in Wuhan was hacked and a hiv mutation supposedly spliced with a corona virus. That being said, and if possible, an enormous problem for society 5-10 years from now. People immunities slowly degrading to a full on AIDS pandemic of castrarophic consequences. When no drugs were available and one tested positive for hiv in the early 1980's they were treated in the same league as lepers... or worse. People wouldnt get near them let alone have sex with them. Noone seems to bring this up in this discussion that those testing positive for covid could quite possibly continue to spread the virus for years on end or what it could potentially do to ones immune system. We really just dont know enough about this virus to say for sure it cant.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hysterical. Yes, as i explained in my post in this thread, i just finished pharmacy school. pharmacy school doesn't require attendance in most cases unless theres an exam, presentation, guest lecturer or if you're doing clinical rounds at the hospital. I do not want to be a pharmacist though and therefore am pursuing a medical degree next. There's a story for why but honestly who the fuck cares, it's what i want and it's what I'm doing.

Can't wait to catch the next disease? Dude that is so fucking rude and uncalled for, especially when people are dying right now. Show some class.

And lying? let me know what I've lied about. None of you know me or has asked me to provide proof of anything yet you talk as if you do. Bet you thought I would never see this. Surprise!!! Now you just sound stupid

Reading through your responses, I get the sense that you may be missing a point or two. We are in the early stages as far as assessing rates of infection, reinfection, duration of antibody immunity, etc. While it makes sense to internalize hopeful signs, it doesn't make sense to act on them in advance of further data. Also, it seems that your ad conveyed the sense that you were claiming you couldn't pass the virus on. If you're not saying that, please clarify. If you are saying that, don't be surprised that people will question your judgment.

And already a thumbs down for my last post. Why? Do people want to immediately reject this sort of notion without us knowing yet what is really going on with this virus? I'm not trying to drum up hysteria but anything could be possible. A thumbs down is just plain silly if you ask me.

Reading through your responses, I get the sense that you may be missing a point or two. We are in the early stages as far as assessing rates of infection, reinfection, duration of antibody immunity, etc. While it makes sense to internalize hopeful signs, it doesn't make sense to act on them in advance of further data. Also, it seems that your ad conveyed the sense that you were claiming you couldn't pass the virus on. If you're not saying that, please clarify. If you are saying that, don't be surprised that people will question your judgment.

No i get exactly what is going on. And every scientist has said that data points to a stable, if not, slowly mutating, virus. As far as duration of immunity, that i do not have the answer to and that is ultimately why the WHO is being overly cautious. I will be getting my antibody test done this week. However, I want everyone here to know that at some point, they will be exposed to this virus. The point of social distancing isn't to kill the virus completely; that would be unrealistic. the point is to slow the rate of transmission so our hospitals aren't over run. So don't act like I'm going around trying to kill people or get them sick. You have the option of hiring me or not. That is your choice. Either way, at some point, you will probably contract COVID. I'm not saying that to be a dick or to mock the severity of the situation. It's just the truth and many of you are not fully comprehending it.

No i get exactly what is going on. And every scientist has said that data points to a stable, if not, slowly mutating, virus. As far as duration of immunity, that i do not have the answer to and that is ultimately why the WHO is being overly cautious. I will be getting my antibody test done this week. However, I want everyone here to know that at some point, they will be exposed to this virus. The point of social distancing isn't to kill the virus completely; that would be unrealistic. the point is to slow the rate of transmission so our hospitals aren't over run. So don't act like I'm going around trying to kill people or get them sick. You have the option of hiring me or not. That is your choice. Either way, at some point, you will probably contract COVID. I'm not saying that to be a dick or to mock the severity of the situation. It's just the truth and many of you are not fully comprehending it.

That's been my understanding as well... that the measures put in place are not to destroy the virus, but to control the spread. This, I believe, should lead to fewer deaths because the medical system will not be as swamped. A trickle of cases requiring hospital treatment is always easier to manage than a flood. My relatives in BC (pop 5 million) mentioned that even though the number of known infections is continuing to rise there, the hospitalization numbers have remained very manageable. I read today that there are only 94 people hospitalized in the entire province, with 46 in ICU. Testing is becoming more widespread, so I assume the number of known infections will keep rising, but I really think the best measure of how the protocols are working is the number of people being hospitalized. But, Im not in the medical field and could well be incorrect. But it seems to make sense to me. In any case, congratulations on your Pharmacy degree, and good luck with the future studies!

Edited by CuriousByNature

And already a thumbs down for my last post. Why? Do people want to immediately reject this sort of notion without us knowing yet what is really going on with this virus? I'm not trying to drum up hysteria but anything could be possible. A thumbs down is just plain silly if you ask me.

I didn't give you a thumbs down but i don't see any evidence to back that claim up.

1) They are completely two different types of viruses. HIV is a retrovirus meaning it uses reverse transcriptase to make copies of itself. Coronaviruses do not. HIV also uses an enzyme called integrase to insert it's viral DNA into the host cell's DNA. Coronavirus does not. Those are the main things that distinguish retroviruses from other types of viruses. So unless COVID-19 has reverse transcriptase or integrase (which it doesn't), it's not a likely theory.

2) People are recovering, meaning there is no more virus in them. With HIV, viral load increases and is extremely high when the patient is first infected and then drops to a set point after a few weeks or months. The body can not get rid of the infection

3) This coronavirus is genetically similar to SARS-1. They both bind to ACE2 receptors to gain entry to cells. whereas HIV enters its host cell by attaching the envelope glycoproteins to CD4 molecules.

Edited by Medjock

Oh medjock I know you werent the one to thumbs down my speculation. As I mentioned the article said they were spliced. Can that happen in a lab? I havent the foggiest. Pretty scary if they can create a virus to set off slow grinding death that would be as easy to catch as the common cold. Yikes!

Edited by Gymowner

You acknowledge not having the answer to duration of immunity, then in the same sentence conclude that it's why the WHO is being "overly cautious". It's not overly cautious in advance of that information. It's prudent caution. It's statement like that that give people pause about your claims and your judgment.

You acknowledge not having the answer to duration of immunity, then in the same sentence conclude that it's why the WHO is being "overly cautious". It's not overly cautious in advance of that information. It's prudent caution. It's statement like that that give people pause about your claims and your judgment.

I'm not sure where you learned how to read but the reason why it's in the same sentence is because they're related. The WHO is being overly cautious BECAUSE they don't know the duration of immunity. Like I said before, whether you hire me or not, I don't care either way. And whether you hire me or not, you will most likely get COVID unless you plan to stay in a bubble until there's a vaccine (which won't be at least until next year). So for those of you who want to take a chance knowing I've had it and recovered and there's a small chance of reinfection, message me. And for those of you who would rather just get it at the supermarket, continue to sit in your house and play with your hand. Enough already man. You're annoying now.

Oh medjock I know you werent the one to thumbs down my speculation. As I mentioned the article said they were spliced. Can that happen in a lab? I havent the foggiest. Pretty scary if they can create a virus to set off slow grinding death that would be as easy to catch as the common cold. Yikes!

I'm not a geneticist but yes I believe RNA can be spliced. but i don't know what that would look like in terms of combining a retrovirus and coronavirus. But if that virus used reverse transcriptase or integrase to multiply, we already have medications that inhibit them. For example, Prep for example (truvada or descovy) is the combination of two NRTIs (nucleotide/nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor) and tivicay or Isentress are two integrase inhibitors that are used, in combination with other HIV meds, to treat hiv or prevent it in the event of exposure when patient is not on PrEP. Those medications inhibit the virus from replicating. But this is just theoretical. Again I'm not a geneticist. I don't know anything about that stuff haha

Edited by Medjock

I'm more man that you'll ever be bud. ;)

To all viewers of this thread - wouldn't you agree that this site is not the place to write "I'm more man than you'll ever be bud" . This comment brings up gender identity issues/stereotypes as well as homophobia. Medjocks ramblings here have put him into the 'avoid at all costs' category

Edited by sutherland

I'm not sure where you learned how to read but the reason why it's in the same sentence is because they're related. The WHO is being overly cautious BECAUSE they don't know the duration of immunity. Like I said before, whether you hire me or not, I don't care either way. And whether you hire me or not, you will most likely get COVID unless you plan to stay in a bubble until there's a vaccine (which won't be at least until next year). So for those of you who want to take a chance knowing I've had it and recovered and there's a small chance of reinfection, message me. And for those of you who would rather just get it at the supermarket, continue to sit in your house and play with your hand. Enough already man. You're annoying now.

I can read quite well. I've also studied and taught logic. The assertion that it's OVERLY cautious doesn't follow from not knowing the duration of immunity. The latter makes the former statement a leap of logic. As to whether I'd hire you, that wasn't my point but with each passing flurry of your posts, I suspect you chase more people away, and not merely because of corona concerns.

If I'm being "annoying", you're ahead of the curve on that one.

Hey guys, it's hotmedpro. I'm reading all of your posts and I'm kind of laughing. I will go over all of your concerns since you guys think you know it all. One, yes I did just finish my doctorate in Pharmacy. My graduation ceremony was supposed to be in May but it's cancelled (yes I'm annoyed by that but I'm interviewing for MD programs so I'm finding solace in the fact that ill have that graduation ceremony when i finish med school) Two, the WHO says there's no evidence that antibodies provide immunity from reinfection but it doesn't say that there's evidence showing it doesn't. Many countries are contemplating providing immunity cards, and the WHO is being overly cautious. At this point right now, the virus is mutating slower than the seasonal flu which is great especially for vaccines and for antibody immunity. Antibodies are made specifically for a virus, like a lock and key. But when a virus mutates, the key (antibody) doesn't fit in the lock (virus) anymore. That is one of the reasons why creating a vaccine for HIV has been impossible to do; It mutates too rapidly but that's a different story. As far as the stories of reinfection occurring in other countries, many things could have caused that, one of them (and most likely) is human error. Earlier testing kits (and even some now) were shown to be extremely unreliable. That can be explained by the sensitivity of the tests and/or classic mix ups in the labs (it happens). There are several different tests available and each of them looked for specific genetic material from the virus, so if the sample collected from the patient didn't have enough genetic material (someone who recently became infected) or if it was collected wrong, the test would read negative. Also some of the earlier testing kits only had two sets of probes to detect the virus and now have three. Probes are used to detect coronavirus RNA sequences in RT-PCR tests and show up fluorescent if positive. These probes influence the sensitivity of the tests. There were also some kits that gave positive readings with just water in a negative control experiment. The test manufactured by Roche has a sensitivity of 95% meaning that 5% of infected people could be missed by their test. I know first hand that patients from my hospital were coming up negative according to in-house labs, but were actually positive when sent out to the CDC for testing. So what that means is, someone could have been negative but showed up "positive" on the test, then "recovered", went home and became "reinfected" but in reality, it was their first infection. Or the patient could have truly been positive, came up "negative" when retested on a faulty test but was actually still positive, went home and got worse, and came back "reinfected" but in reality, they were positive the entire time. Another reason for possible positive results after recovering is that the tests are picking up traces of virus that are dead which happened to be the case with some patients in South Korea after a doctor tried to incubate the virus but wasn't able to. Is there a chance that people can became reinfected? Sure there is. Everyone's immune system is different. Some people might not produce a heavy antibody response to the infection. That's fair to say. But I'm happy to provide anyone with my antibody test results. I will be getting that done soon. Again, the WHO is being super overly cautious about this and i totally understand that. Lives are at stake. But everything I have read so far points to a stable, slowly mutating virus. And as someone pointed out already, you don't have to hire me. It doesn't bother me one bit. I just wanted you guys to understand why I put that in my ad. It has nothing to do with wanting to make money, and it certainly isn't because I don't care about people's lives. Anyway, be safe out there.

Breathe baby. B-R-E-A-T-H-E.

...and use paragraphs.

Pharmacy school is different than med school.

You got that right.

You‘re going to need to learn how to not overreact when you feel attacked in Med School.

And you will be attacked. Daily. Trust me.

Feel free to read my post on this thread.

Feel free to read my post

...as i explained in my post in this thread

We got it. We got it.

We read your “brilliant“ breathless defense.

Now relax.

My ADHD gets the best of me most days.

This thread certainly proves that....

I'm not a geneticist

We know....you’re a pharmacists. Or going to be a pharmacist. Maybe even a physician?

I don't know anything about that stuff

Well, you‘ve certainly proven that point.

Now, a little fatherly advice.....

I admire your spirit. You obviously worked hard to put ourself through PharmD

School. Congratulations. I also admire your desire to defend yourself. Just calm

down a little. People stop reading after your 4th or 5th defense. State your case

in one collected, brief, well edited and paragraphed post. Then move on.

When you overreact, people will start poking the bear for their own amusement.

See the earlier section of my post and most of this thread for proof. Don’t give

them that.

As for your “science”, it‘s way too early to know much of anything about this virus.

And lets be honest, you’re a soon to be pharmacist, not a virologist, and certainly not

a physician (despite what your previous RM ad with a stethoscope implied). Still,

I agree once you’ve had it you’re most likely immune for a period of time. Then again,

early in this pandemic I though asymptomatic spread was unlikely. I was wrong.

I may be wrong again. You may be well educated but Science is a bitch of a lover.

You’re clinging to science for your defense, and I understand that. But I think

what got more people riled up was your attitude. To some you came off as a

medical professional who was flippant about a pandemic that may kill millions.

That‘s not a pretty look. And it has nothing to do with ‘science’ and everything

to do with public perception and public relations.

Work less on winning the scientific battle (which no one can win at this point

because too little is really known), and focus on winning the PR battle. You‘ll

have much more success and alienate far fewer potential clients.

Edited by nycman

He started posting in 2016 :(

Yes, he has, but before today he had only posted on the day he joined and the following couple of days, so 'just started' isn't too far off the mark.

Any way, welcome [back] to the forum, @Medjock, there's some fun to be had here. Make your case clearly and with good humour and you'll receive a fair hearing, but you won't please everyone. As you might have noticed. Sometimes it's best to keep your peace.

trying to survive? I'm doing just fine but thank you. I escorted so i didn't have to take out student loans. I'm not homeless or poor. Jeez. lol feel sorry for someone else. i don't need pity.

Thank You for the correction.

The “pity”, I had for you was wrong, and that’s what I get for giving the “benefit of the doubt”, in this rare instance.

I guess I’m with the majority now, on the level of character, common sense, and overall consideration for potential clients, that you are projecting.

Yes, he has, but before today he had only posted on the day he joined and the following couple of days, so 'just started' isn't too far off the mark.

Any way, welcome [back] to the forum, @Medjock, there's some fun to be had here. Make your case clearly and with good humour and you'll receive a fair hearing, but you won't please everyone. As you might have noticed. Sometimes it's best to keep your peace.

Thank you @mike carey for always policing me. Perhaps there is a fact checking position open somewhere for you ? Fake News is simply Deplorable.

Thank You for the correction.

The “pity”, I had for you was wrong, and that’s what I get for giving the “benefit of the doubt”, in this rare instance.

I guess I’m with the majority now, on the level of character, common sense, and overall consideration for potential clients, that you are projecting.

Well you know @Monarchy79 , "you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make em drink"...… These days, peoples opinions are iron clad, even if you try to educate them "with the receipts".... So all you can do is have your say, and let them have theirs.....

trying to survive? I'm doing just fine but thank you. I escorted so i didn't have to take out student loans. I'm not homeless or poor. Jeez. lol feel sorry for someone else. i don't need pity.

I don’t know (and don’t care) about your lack of student loans or “status at the bank”.

What I do know, is that sex professionals of means, who have resources, currently are on hiatus, and don’t have profiles stating that they have had COVID-19, and are “good to go”, and don’t have their expired STI testing result dates posted either.

Once you start selling your home-prescribed “snake oil”, after your 3rd “Doctorate”, I guess you’ll have that advertised too?