RIP Kenny Rogers

rvwnsd
This topic is 1477 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 4 weeks later...
A classic video:

Hey, thanks for posting this. One of my all-time favorites. This is one of the songs that cheers me up when I'm having a bad day.

I agree. This song aways makes me smile.

Islands in The Stream wasn't the only excellent duet to emerge from Kenny's collaboration with Barry Gibb:

There used to be a Kenny Rogers chicken restaurant in DC on Connecticut Avenue NW. Unfortunately, it closed decades ago. Man was that chicken good!!!

And one at 72nd and Broadway in NYC - on my way home from work. If you’re desperate there’s one still open on first floor of the Times Square Shopping Centre - Kuala Lumpur.

There used to be a Kenny Rogers chicken restaurant in DC on Connecticut Avenue NW.

This is something that still perplexes me, even though I should be used to it. Why would a place set up outlets with the same name in cities that were remote to each other? There are very few 'chain' restaurants in Australia, the fast food chains, and some coffee and chocolate places but for the most part restaurants are 'one off'. Even related restaurants tend to be named differently, if a chef heads three or four they would have different names. Even within Canberra a Malaysian restaurant I love has an affiliated restaurant with a different name in another suburb.

Why would a place set up outlets with the same name in cities that were remote to each other?

There's a cheap US steakhouse chain named Sizzler. There was one a few miles from me. The chain gradually closed their locations in the eastern part of the country. For several years until it closed that one near me was the only location in the eastern half of the country; how could it be profitable to get them supplies?

Similarly, the Arby's roast beef chain disappeared from the NY market for about a decade before re-emerging, but during that decade a location opened up in Greenwich Village that was 90 miles from the nearest location. But that one closed shortly after a video emerged of rats running around the closed store at night.

There's a cheap US steakhouse chain named Sizzler. There was one a few miles from me. The chain gradually closed their locations in the eastern part of the country. For several years until it closed that one near me was the only location in the eastern half of the country; how could it be profitable to get them supplies?

Similarly, the Arby's roast beef chain disappeared from the NY market for about a decade before re-emerging, but during that decade a location opened up in Greenwich Village that was 90 miles from the nearest location. But that one closed shortly after a video emerged of rats running around the closed store at night.

Yes, I get why chains like Sizzler and Arby's set up, what I don't understand is why so many small operations feel the need to set up three, four or fifty outlets rather than just run a single restaurant and make a living. Either go national or stay local.

This is something that still perplexes me, even though I should be used to it. Why would a place set up outlets with the same name in cities that were remote to each other? There are very few 'chain' restaurants in Australia, the fast food chains, and some coffee and chocolate places but for the most part restaurants are 'one off'. Even related restaurants tend to be named differently, if a chef heads three or four they would have different names. Even within Canberra a Malaysian restaurant I love has an affiliated restaurant with a different name in another suburb.

I’m guessing marketing. You can use the same ad in different markets at no additional cost.