I Have A Source For Ersatz Girl Scout Cookies!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 1517 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

And I'm willing to share. They are at Dollar General.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/

Their equivalents are sold under the CloverValley brand. I've read that authentic Samoa (Caramel deLites for some of you) are selling for $6 for a box of 15. Dollar General had a box of 14 for $1.50. The cookies may have been slightly smaller -but maybe not. I didn't have an authentic Samoa to compare the ersatz one with. It tasted pretty much the same. The texture may have been slightly chewier, or maybe it was slightly stale. But I was able to readily put up with the flaws for a cookie than saved me 75%.

Speaking of Dollar General-I don't go there often. But confession time here. As I don't iron, I am in love with Downy Wrinkle Releaser.

41Q0Yy4WenL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I use it so frequently that I wish I had a cask in the backyard that I could use to refill my empty bottles. But the stuff is expensive. I paid $6.97 for 33.8 ounces. That's about 21 cents per ounce.

Several months back I went into Dollar General. i don't usually stop there. But I think I needed some scissors. I came across this fake Downey Wrinkle Release while I was there.

5c48bd20862376fd4e7473556c5aa778.jpg

Its $2.00 for 33 ounces. That's only 6 cents an ounce. And as far as I can tell it works as well as Downy.

The main drawback to it is that It smells a lot like Downy too. I really wish they'd make an umscented version of both of them.

Gman

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tagalong girl here, but the new lemon ones are good, too. I bought mine from the very spot where I had once sold Girl Scout cookies myself.

i tried the imitation ones at Safeway and was a bit disappointed.

There are apparently two new lemon cookies. One is called Lemonades. And the other is Lemon-Ups. The Lemon-Ups are the ones with the pithy empowerment phrases on them. I think those were the ones I had. They weren't near lemony enough. It was like a lemon flew over and spit in the dough rather than actually having the lemon be incorporated into it. They need to bring back Savannah Smiles. Now there was a lemon cookie for the ages-not that I feel strongly about it one way or the other (and I won't even bring up the fact that the Washington Post endorses my view on the matter;))

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/01/10/the-girl-scouts-new-lemon-cookie-delivers-positivity-but-not-flavor/

Gman

And the other is Lemon-Ups. The Lemon-Ups are the ones with the pithy empowerment phrases on them.

inspirational messages for the Girl Scouts??......wow, I had to look up how that was incorporated into a cookie!

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-new-girl-scout-cookie-lemon-ups-20200107-tjewwumphfcf3lfhnzbkaqrisq-story.html

5e17264d600b73580384d920?ops=max(650,0),quality(80)

and, well, as we drift off-topic, thought of this......

There are apparently two new lemon cookies. One is called Lemonades. And the other is Lemon-Ups. The Lemon-Ups are the ones with the pithy empowerment phrases on them. I think those were the ones I had. They weren't near lemony enough. It was like a lemon flew over and spit in the dough rather than actually having the lemon be incorporated into it. They need to bring back Savannah Smiles. Now there was a lemon cookie for the ages-not that I feel strongly about it one way or the other (and I won't even bring up the fact that the Washington Post endorses my view on the matter;))

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/01/10/the-girl-scouts-new-lemon-cookie-delivers-positivity-but-not-flavor/

Gman

Wait, the Savannah Smiles are gone? :eek: I had thought you could still get them on eBay.

I just checked. They are gone. You’re right that the Lemon ups could be more lemony. They don’t even have the frosting advertised in the photo that @azdr0710 showed. I hadn’t even noticed the messages.

Any thoughts on the Tagalongs? They are incredible.

Their equivalents are sold under the CloverValley brand. I've read that authentic Samoa (Caramel deLites for some of you) are selling for $6 for a box of 15. Dollar General had a box of 14 for $1.50. The cookies may have been slightly smaller -but maybe not. I didn't have an authentic Samoa to compare the ersatz one with. It tasted pretty much the same. The texture may have been slightly chewier, or maybe it was slightly stale. But I was able to readily put up with the flaws for a cookie than saved me 75%.

Speaking of Dollar General-I don't go there often. But confession time here. As I don't iron, I am in love with Downy Wrinkle Releaser.

I use it so frequently that I wish I had a cask in the backyard that I could use to refill my empty bottles. But the stuff is expensive. I paid $6.97 for 33.8 ounces. That's about 21 cents per ounce.

Several months back I went into Dollar General. i don't usually stop there. But I think I needed some scissors. I came across this fake Downey Wrinkle Release while I was there.

Its $2.00 for 33 ounces. That's only 6 cents an ounce. And as far as I can tell it works as well as Downy.

The main drawback to it is that It smells a lot like Downy too. I really wish they'd make an umscented version of both of them.

Gman

That stuff’s not good for your all-cotton clothes or your skin.

Aldi sells imitation Girl Scout cookies under the brand "Benton". They have copycat Samoas, Thin Mint, & Tagalongs. The Girl Scout Tagalong is a vanilla wafer, a dab of peanut butter on it (and I remember a time years back when that dab was disapppointingly tiny), covered in chocolate. The Aldi versions are the same except they use a chocolate wafer, and wow. Those things are like crack. And you can't beat the price.

I'm going to play the "they ain't what they used to be" card. Girl Scout cookies have been crap from the time they were no longer produced by Burry in the early 1980's. They used to be among my favorites (vanilla sandwich). :(

That's the problem with Life, neither are WE ...o_O

Gman

I just noticed that the brew pub around the corner is having a cider and girl scout cookie pairing event this evening